5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First truck, need help with tires

zgrsk269

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new to this forum and owning a truck. I have a 2021 ram 1500 bighorn crew 4x4. It came with the factory 3.21 gearing and I thought I’d like the truck the way it sits. After a few months I decided that I’d like to put a lift and bigger tires on it. After searching multiple threads on here and other forums I’m at a loss and came looking for help. I’m looking at doing a RL 3.5 lift with 35x11.5r20s (factory wheels). Is this going to be fine to do, or is it going to cause issues now or down the road. Again this is my first truck so any insight would be great help for me. Thanks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s worth doing some research into 35’s with 3.21 gearing, as a lot of guys have complained in the past about the trans hunting in 7th and 8th when doing highway speeds.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With 3:21’s, 295/60R20 might be a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zgrsk269

Reaction score
It’s worth doing some research into 35’s with 3.21 gearing, as a lot of guys have complained in the past about the trans hunting in 7th and 8th when doing highway speeds.
That’s what I’ve been reading the last few days. I was digging deep into the files the last few days at work to the point I’m sick over it lmao. Trying to figure out what best route is. I’m in NEPA, so I got flats and some mountains/hills but nothing extremely steep.

zgrsk269

Reaction score
With 3:21’s, 295/60R20 might be a better choice

I was debating this vs the 35x11.5r20s. Just not sure if there would be much of a difference. Again first time lifting a truck and doing all this so I was looking at weights of tires. Not sure what else matters.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was debating this vs the 35x11.5r20s. Just not sure if there would be much of a difference. Again first time lifting a truck and doing all this so I was looking at weights of tires. Not sure what else matters.

1/2” shorter 1/2” wider …. I just think the 35” X 11.50’s look a lil tall and narrow …. And if you are just leveling, or a mild lift, the 295’s might look a little better …. Just my opinion on all of it

zgrsk269

Reaction score
1/2” shorter 1/2” wider …. I just think the 35” X 11.50’s look a lil tall and narrow …. And if you are just leveling, or a mild lift, the 295’s might look a little better …. Just my opinion on all of it

Yup. Planning on a 3.5 inch lift. Nothing crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread