5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow with 2022

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here’s a 1 yr follow up to this thread of my 2022 Ram Laramie towing.

I now have 17,500 miles with 11,000 towing the same 7k# trailer. I’ve towed the Appalachians (Fancy Gap) three more times (955 mile straight through drives) this year along with the local 150 - 300 mile events.

In March I replaced the 20 yr old equalizer hitch ball mount as the spring bar openings were worn. I had to change the mounting position on the shank as the new mount is slightly different in ball height. I lowered the front of trailer another 1/2” and moved some weight in the trailer slightly to get the corner heights on the truck to what I wanted. Front corners down 3/4 - 1” from no trailer. Rear corners set so headlights are slightly higher at night than no trailer. Doing this improved what was already very good to eliminating most all sucking when being passed. This truck easily maintains lane and steers one handed when passing, driving next to or being passed by semis. Same for driving the mountains. It is very solid and confident driving while towing.

Changing my own oil at 4000-4500 miles which is 50% oil life. Using the listed 0w20 oil and factory MO-339 filter.

Extremely pleased with this Ram for comfort while towing the long hauls.

The only thing I dislike that came on the truck are the Bridgestone Dueler tires. Although Ok in the dry, Very poor in the rain and worse in the snow. Replacing with my favorite, Michelin Defenders next year.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here’s a 2 yr follow up of my 2022 Ram Laramie with 33k miles now and 21k miles towing. This truck has performed exactly the same as when I started out towing new. Tow mileage is 10 -11.5 @ 65 -67 mph depending on the conditions and engine uses very little if any oil between the 5k mile oil change intervals that I’m now doing with 0w20. I still use 92/93 premium when towing and 89 when not.

This Ram has not required any warranty service work and has not been returned for the tail gate/ backup camera software recalls. I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone Duelers with the newest Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 in same size but XL load rated. The Defenders seem slightly stiffer riding not towing, and I expect them to be superior in wet weather and mileage compared to the OEM tire that was 4-5/32” at replacement. I’m replacing the OEM battery prior to my tow season that starts in mid April 2024.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Here’s a 2 yr follow up of my 2022 Ram Laramie with 33k miles now and 21k miles towing. This truck has performed exactly the same as when I started out towing new. Tow mileage is 10 -11.5 @ 65 -67 mph depending on the conditions and engine uses very little if any oil between the 5k mile oil change intervals that I’m now doing with 0w20. I still use 92/93 premium when towing and 89 when not.

This Ram has not required any warranty service work and has not been returned for the tail gate/ backup camera software recalls. I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone Duelers with the newest Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 in same size but XL load rated. The Defenders seem slightly stiffer riding not towing, and I expect them to be superior in wet weather and mileage compared to the OEM tire that was 4-5/32” at replacement. I’m replacing the OEM battery prior to my tow season that starts in mid April 2024.
getting far better mileage than I am with my 22 Im getting like 7-8 towing my travel trailer 5500# dry not loaded to the gils

Users who are viewing this thread