5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow with 2022

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Truck_Trailer.jpg CAT_Scale_Crop.jpg First Tow with 2022

Have 675 miles new now, hitched up the trailer and loaded both trailer and truck like a normal outing and headed for the CAT scale to see what the numbers are.

3 miles of 55 mph back roads and 4 miles of 65 mph highway to the scales. It was very windy (20+) out today when I was on the highway.

This 2022 Ram replaced my 2011 Ram that had 179K and towed 84k. Tows exactly the same (handles great) but smoother and quieter. I like the new 8 speed and increase rpm shifts while in tow/haul for pulling away from a stop. Very peppy.

The pic is with the trailer not loaded and equalizer bars on picking up the back of the truck slightly.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice, it'll be interesting to hear if you get 'the sway' while loaded that alot of people complain about with the new RAMs (me included).

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Nice, it'll be interesting to hear if you get 'the sway' while loaded that alot of people complain about with the new RAMs (me included).
Is this sway something that develops over time or is it apparent from the initial tow?

As I wrote previous, the initial tow (fully loaded and very windy out) felt exactly the same as the 84k towing miles I had on the 2011 Ram that this 2022 is replacing. I’m headed 900 miles SE over the Appellations at WV /VA in 2 weeks. Expect everything towing to remain as it was during initial tow yesterday.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Those with “the sway” typically have something set up incorrectly. I tow 7600lbs and have never had an issue with exception of initial tow where my tongue was too high and I wasn’t transferring enough weight back to the front wheels.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, the slip is loaded, the pic was what he was referring to as unloaded.

If you're loaded up and have no sway, you should be good to go. (y)

bhurst10

Reaction score
View attachment 109850 View attachment 109851 First Tow with 2022

Have 675 miles new now, hitched up the trailer and loaded both trailer and truck like a normal outing and headed for the CAT scale to see what the numbers are.

3 miles of 55 mph back roads and 4 miles of 65 mph highway to the scales. It was very windy (20+) out today when I was on the highway.

This 2022 Ram replaced my 2011 Ram that had 179K and towed 84k. Tows exactly the same (handles great) but smoother and quieter. I like the new 8 speed and increase rpm shifts while in tow/haul for pulling away from a stop. Very peppy.

The pic is with the trailer not loaded and equalizer bars on picking up the back of the truck slightly.
Just curious what size trailer is that?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Maccam

Reaction score
just ordered a 2022 ram bighorn with trailer tow mirrors,do you like the way they look on your ram.
a dealer said that they would look like elephant ears if i add them.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just ordered a 2022 ram bighorn with trailer tow mirrors,do you like the way they look on your ram.
I think they look fine in the normal position. Some people call them "Bullwinkle" mirrors when you fold them upright to use while towing. At that point, i care less what they look like than how much they help me get my camper safely to its destination. I will say that in the normal position, there is more mirror to look around and over when going through an intersection or making a turn.

Maccam

Reaction score
I think they look fine in the normal position. Some people call them "Bullwinkle" mirrors when you fold them upright to use while towing. At that point, i care less what they look like than how much they help me get my camper safely to its destination. I will say that in the normal position, there is more mirror to look around and over when going through an intersection or making a turn.
i have towing mirrors on my silverado,and dont mindnhow they look,corners are a little tougher,but i can see that 37 ft travel trailer behind me

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have them. They are sizeable. I wish they were power retractable, especially inside parking garages and drive-thrus. I think the newer ones are.

They will give a whole lot better rear visibility when towing.
Standard mirrors are 97.7" outside to outside. Trailer mirrors are 102.9" Flipped up, they're even wider. How wide is the trailer you plan to pull? If it's an 8 footer, you'll pretty much have to have the trailer mirrors.

Maccam

Reaction score
I have them. They are sizeable. I wish they were power retractable, especially inside parking garages and drive-thrus. I think the newer ones are.

They will give a whole lot better rear visibility when towing.
Standard mirrors are 97.7" outside to outside. Trailer mirrors are 102.9" Flipped up, they're even wider. How wide is the trailer you plan to pull? If it's an 8 footer, you'll pretty much have to have the trailer mirrors.
its 8 ft wide,im hoping my are power retractable,the ones i have now are manual,and a pain

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
My Featherlite car trailer is 102” wide, the legal limit, same as a semi-trailer.

In the upright position the trailer tow mirrors allow for very good view to the trailer sides and cars behind with the large mirrors and to the side lanes with the smaller mirrors. These are PF, heated with memory. They work excellent. Same style / function mirror as what I had in the 2011 Ram that was manual with no memory.

In the down position these mirrors protrude slightly farther out than the standard mirror that will easily view around a 7’ wide trailer. For 7.5’ to 8.5’ wide trailers the trailer tow mirrors are best.

These trailer tow mirrors for the 2022 sit slightly higher in the down position than the ones on the 2011 Ram I had. You have to be aware that they can obstruct your vision. Same as the A pillars. The rear view mirror housing in the 5th gen Rams are massive when compared to the 4th gen Rams and more obstructive view.

As for the elephant ears appearance statement of the Ram tow mirrors, take a good look at a GMC or Ford tow mirror. What I see is something that is very unattractive, and more obstructive in view all the time, but they do offer good viewing for towing. IMO the Rams have the very best trailer tow mirrors of any truck since the 4th gen Ram model.

killerformula

Reaction score
View attachment 109850 View attachment 109851 First Tow with 2022

Just out of curiosity did you do the 500 mile 50 mph trailer break in or did you just send it. Seeing many on here arent concerned about it...

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity did you do the 500 mile 50 mph trailer break in or did you just send it. Seeing many on here arent concerned about it...
I did more than the first 500 miles (675) without a trailer varying speed with some WOT from 4th gear getting on highways after the first 100 miles. At 675 miles I hooked up the trailer and headed for the CAT scales close by. Less than 20 miles round trip and a very short 65 mph on the highway just to test. Everything felt correct.

When I left for my 900 mile trip last Tuesday the truck had 1000+ miles on it and started towing up to 70 mph…. mostly 65 though. The cruise control works excellent when towing.

I suggest following the recommendations from the factory. I did the exact same break in with my 2011 Hemi and it used little to no oil when not towing.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Last Tuesday night I started just NW of Milwaukee WI for my first 880 mile tow with that 7k lb car hauler to Julian NC. Plenty of through city freeways, highways and WV / VA Appalachians. I just returned yesterday and here’s my review.

I inflated the 20” Dueler tires that the truck comes with to 44 psi cold when in the garage at 50*. This is an in-between temp for where I live and where I was towing to this time of year. I had the 33 gal fuel tank filled with 93 octane 10% ethanol premium and used this same fuel the entire trip.

After reading the thread about the Hellwig sway bar, I purchase one through the Military Exchange for $196 delivered and installed using the middle hole that is same location as stock bar just prior to leaving for NC.

I used the cruise control as often as possible, and briefly used the Tow/ Haul mode and preferred it off the entire rest of trip.

Some very similar towing characteristics as my 2011 Hemi Ram. At times when being passed by much faster traffic (10+) you can feel a slight sucking. Most of the time it wasn’t present on slower passes.

With Semis / Large Trucks…. being passed by Semi, passing Semis, running next to or sandwiched between semis in 3+ lanes this truck handles very well, maintains the trailers lane and is confident inspiring while towing my trailer at speeds up to 70 mph. Most times towing at 65 maximum.

Driving the Appalachians was very much more of the same in handling. Most times steering with one hand at 8 o’clock and only using two hands at 8 and 4 when needed, same as before.

On the return trip I drove through rain towing first time in Ohio and Indiana. Slowed to 55 – 58 mph as I normally would.

When I got to Chicago tollway in early Sunday afternoon a cold front was coming through and the wind picked up. By the time I reached the IL / WI border the side winds were in excess of 30 mph from the West. The Flags were straight out. Most traffic was slowed by over 5 mph of maximum. I had the cruise set to 55 - 58. The extreme side winds were shaking the trailer, but it never reached a point where the safety tow system activated or I felt not in control. It did take more steering correction to stay in ones lane, but no worse than the traffic that I was driving in. This became a heading as I turned due West and 50 - 55 mph seemed to be the best maximum speed.

Here’s what that trip was all about. I’m an avid Money ET Bracket racer traveling East of the Missip. This race I attended was at Piedmont Dragway, had over 400 entries, and the picture is the Saturday night final round paying $20k to the winner. It’s 8pm and 35* outside. 259411558_4861060070594538_2179585780638520675_n.jpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great write-up and I sure hope you won!! You've got that trailer loaded perfectly...great to know the truck is so capable at that weight.

Users who are viewing this thread