5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow with 2021 Limited EcoDiesel

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend and I just hauled my Lance 2075 to the closest CAT scale for its first weigh. The scale is maybe 15-20 miles from my house and mostly interstate. This was my first time towing anything larger than a 6x12 cargo trailer that was probably about 8' wide at the wheels. We loaded it as close as I could to if my wife and I were traveling. Pulling out of my neighborhood, I was fine. Pulling onto the interstate, I was fine. Driving on the interstate, after a mile or two, I got really nervous. I kept it at 55-60mph for the most part. I think the manual actually says to keep it around that for the first XXX miles of towing, but my slower speed was more for me. Every little sway felt like the first step to us wrecking. We did ultimately make it safely to the LOVES truck stop and pulled on the scale for weighing. I'll post my numbers below for your input.

But, I want to note that on the way back I felt WAY more comfortable. I still kept it slow since it's still new to me and the last thing I want to do is get overconfident. Taking me out of the equation, the EcoDiesel pulled like a champ. As others have said, I hardly knew a trailer was back there if I didn't look in the rear view mirror. It stayed in 7th gear most of the time (in tow/haul mode) on some rolling western NC hills. Nothing major--that comes next weekend as we head up towards Boone, NC. Anyway, I think I got a little adjusted to what I was feeling with sway and the road imperfections. Tractor trailers passing me in the same direction didn't seem make it any worse that I could tell. There was little to no wind and I know that can make a big difference with handling. I'm using an Andersen 3350 WDH. As loaded, the trailer weighed 5540#

So, my scale numbers: This is without my friend in the truck to represent my wife (and some of her "travel gear",) but with weight in the back to represent our dogs. Almost 33 gallons of fuel in the tank and 5/8 a tank of DEF.

Connected w/WDHConnected w/o WDHTruck Only
STEER AXLE334032803520
DRIVE AXLE350036002720
TRAILER AXLE(S)49204900
GROSS WEIGHT11760117806240

Does anything jump out at anyone as a concern?

The trailer's rated load is 6200# so by my math, we're well under that with the supplies we'd likely travel with, (though I'm sure my wife will come up with some more things she "needs" to take) The tongue weight is a tad under 12%, according to the calculator at www.towingplanner.com, so that's easy to fix by adding a little to weight to the front storage compartment. We had 15 gallons of water in the trailer and the three propane tanks up front were almost completely full. The freshwater tank is right ahead of the axles.

Anything I'm missing or need to know?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks fine for that size trailer.

I’m coming up with 10.8% tongue weight

6840 - 6240 = 600 lbs

600 lbs/ 5520 lbs = 10.8%

180 lbs off the front end is a bit high, but Anderson is designed for sway control not weight distribution, so that’s to be expected.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks fine for that size trailer.

I’m coming up with 10.8% tongue weight

6840 - 6240 = 600 lbs

600 lbs/ 5520 lbs = 10.8%

180 lbs off the front end is a bit high, but Anderson is designed for sway control not weight distribution, so that’s to be expected.
Thanks, IvoryHemi. I can't say you are wrong, but the calculator I referenced gave me 640# on tongue weight. I have no idea if it's a good calculator or not.

This is the site: http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales

Can you explain what you mean by 180# off the front? (Newbie, remember.) It looks like the WDH added 80# to the front?

Last edited:

Paul dallas

Reaction score
What is the payload and GVWR of the truck? Might be close so more camping stuff in trailer and not a lot of passengers. I came up with 11.6% by using weights w/o anderson.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the payload and GVWR of the truck? Might be close so more camping stuff in trailer and not a lot of passengers. I came up with 11.6% by using weights w/o anderson.
Payload is 1317# and GVWR is 7200#. I've already figured it will just be us, the dogs, and maybe a little food inside the truck while traveling with the trailer, and that's fine. I have a hard-folding tonneau cover I could leave behind if I had to. Or, maybe I travel with less fuel. I anticipate 140-150# for my wife and all her "gotta-have-it-with-mes." in the truck.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say you are wrong, but the calculator I referenced gave me 640# on tongue weight. I have no idea if it's a good calculator or not.

This is the site: http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales

Can you explain what you mean by 180# off the front? (Newbie, remember.) It looks like the WDH added 80# to the front?

640 lbs TW is without the bars hooked up.

Your front axle weight without trailer attached is 3,520 lbs, and with it hooked up and engaged is 3,340 lbs. So your losing 180 lbs on your steering axle. Ideal is <100 lbs

The Anderson is only recovering 60 lbs. (3340 - 3280)

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
640 lbs TW is without the bars hooked up.

Your front axle weight without trailer attached is 3,520 lbs, and with it hooked up and engaged is 3,340 lbs. So your losing 180 lbs on your steering axle. Ideal is <100 lbs

The Anderson is only recovering 60 lbs. (3340 - 3280)
Thanks for the clarification, I'm with you now. I can adjust the hitch some and see if that helps. I hadn't heard the <100# guideline.

Paul dallas

Reaction score
Payload is always what gets 1/2 ton pickups (and 3/4) I don't know how a 1/2 can tow a Lance 2465 but many do. A larger trailer than yours the Lance 2465 has a GVWR of 7800 lbs so a minimum of 780 lbs payload. 1,317 less 780 is 537 & for 33 gal of diesel = 231 so 306 is left. I attached a picture of a guy that I saw from canada who had the craziest tow with a 1/2 ton. Anyway back to your truck. You bought the truck to go miles so fill the tank, just put as much in the trailer as possible. The Lance 2075 is a great trailer. Is the anderson set correctly? Anderson's have their strengths an weaknesses (all WD do). One strength is light weight, my Ez lift R56 weights almost 100 lbs! You have a great set up but watch the GVWR. Ram 1500 tow 5th wheel.jpg

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Yes, you need to get a bit more weight back to the front axle for a more confident tow. That can be very difficult with an Andersen, but is possible. See if you can move the brackets back a few inches on the trailer or crank down on the chain bolts about a dozen turns and it may get you there, otherwise I’d be looking for a better WDH.

My sister ram into the same issue this summer on a similar sized trailer and ended up ditching the Andersen. There was no sway, just a wandering front end that made highway travel difficult and downright white knuckled.

Redfour5

Reaction score
As you calculate, and I up voted the guy who noted this and, this is important, the payload calculation and the amount you can load does NOT include any fluids in the truck including gas/diesel. A lot of people think they need to calculate a full tank of gas into their payload calculation. So, they calculate themselves, tongue weight, hitch, wife, dogs and what is in the bed and are right at payload and think, OH NO, now when I add fuel, I'm over.... What am I to do? My 33 gallon tank takes me over payload. NO, it does not. That is already calculated into your payload. Don't worry about fuel when calculating.

On a 33 gallon tanks, this is approximately 264 lbs. That isn't chump change in a payload calculation on any 1500 level truck. So, your calculation does not need to subtract that from your payload. I used to do this...and considering the wide array of how manufacturers USED to calculate payload vs once they adopted the Automotive Engineers standard you never knew unless you read the fine print. I'm trying to be as explicit and simple as I can be as this is one of the core places of confusion for people. I speak from 20 years towing experience on different vehicles and trailers so am NOT criticizing anyone. Do NOT worry about gas when calculating payload. Ignore it. It is NOT germane to the calculation. I threw germane in there just to confuse people. Germane means it is NOT relevant to the situation being discussed.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need to get a bit more weight back to the front axle for a more confident tow. That can be very difficult with an Andersen, but is possible. See if you can move the brackets back a few inches on the trailer or crank down on the chain bolts about a dozen turns and it may get you there, otherwise I’d be looking for a better WDH.

My sister ram into the same issue this summer on a similar sized trailer and ended up ditching the Andersen. There was no sway, just a wandering front end that made highway travel difficult and downright white knuckled.

I'm as far back as I can go with the propane tank cover (without making modifications.) I think--would have to go remeasure--that I'm actually beyond their recommendation of 27-29"

Maybe I should hang a couple free weights from the front tow hooks. LOL.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As you calculate, and I up voted the guy who noted this and, this is important, the payload calculation and the amount you can load does NOT include any fluids in the truck including gas/diesel. A lot of people think they need to calculate a full tank of gas into their payload calculation. So, they calculate themselves, tongue weight, hitch, wife, dogs and what is in the bed and are right at payload and think, OH NO, now when I add fuel, I'm over.... What am I to do? My 33 gallon tank takes me over payload. NO, it does not. That is already calculated into your payload. Don't worry about fuel when calculating.

On a 33 gallon tanks, this is approximately 264 lbs. That isn't chump change in a payload calculation on any 1500 level truck. So, your calculation does not need to subtract that from your payload. I used to do this...and considering the wide array of how manufacturers USED to calculate payload vs once they adopted the Automotive Engineers standard you never knew unless you read the fine print. I'm trying to be as explicit and simple as I can be as this is one of the core places of confusion for people. I speak from 20 years towing experience on different vehicles and trailers so am NOT criticizing anyone. Do NOT worry about gas when calculating payload. Ignore it. It is NOT germane to the calculation. I threw germane in there just to confuse people. Germane means it is NOT relevant to the situation being discussed.

Maybe I misspoke if this was directed at me. I knew a full tank of fuel was included in my available payload number, I just figured if I'd been close, I just fill it to 20 gallons of fuel. It would be a pain to stop more often, but my wife has a small bladder anyway...

I feel confident we won't hit the trailer's max weight of 6200#. We might could get another 200# of stuff to take, but I really don't know what it would be and we'd still be 500# to the good.

On payload, I think we'll be fine. We don't need to keep a lot of stuff with us in the truck if the destination is a campground. I guess the only other thing that could crop up at some point is if we carried bikes or a kayak or something.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing that occurred to me after the tow was my rear tire pressure. What would you guys run in my situation? I have the ORP, so 20" wheels with the Falkens. I was just running them at normal pressure.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Maybe I misspoke if this was directed at me. I knew a full tank of fuel was included in my available payload number, I just figured if I'd been close, I just fill it to 20 gallons of fuel. It would be a pain to stop more often, but my wife has a small bladder anyway...

I feel confident we won't hit the trailer's max weight of 6200#. We might could get another 200# of stuff to take, but I really don't know what it would be and we'd still be 500# to the good.

On payload, I think we'll be fine. We don't need to keep a lot of stuff with us in the truck if the destination is a campground. I guess the only other thing that could crop up at some point is if we carried bikes or a kayak or something.
Not directed at anyone.

Redfour5

Reaction score
One thing that occurred to me after the tow was my rear tire pressure. What would you guys run in my situation? I have the ORP, so 20" wheels with the Falkens. I was just running them at normal pressure.
Having come off my 2015 with 17 inch KO2's, this was my biggest issue with the Falkens OWL's like you have. Towing a 6500ish loaded travel trailer They tend to "wallow" in comparison to the KO2's. This last trip, I took em up to 42/43 psi and it was...better... Running hot, they are at about 46. At recommended, they made me nervous... They have a max pressure of 51 psi cold. I'm not going there though. One thing I noticed however was that I do NOT need the airbags like I used on the 2015. The truck does fine with the E2 hitch 1000 lb bars leveling out perfectly. So far, the airbags are just sitting in the box. The new frame on the Gen5's is noticeably...better...in my opinion vs the Gen4 frame. The rear springs on the Gen5 ORP apparently are two stage and do a better job than the Gen4's. That combination is a distinct improvement over the Gen4 pulling this travel trailer.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having come off my 2015 with 17 inch KO2's, this was my biggest issue with the Falkens OWL's like you have. Towing a 6500ish loaded travel trailer They tend to "wallow" in comparison to the KO2's. This last trip, I took em up to 42/43 psi and it was...better... Running hot, they are at about 46. At recommended, they made me nervous... They have a max pressure of 51 psi cold. I'm not going there though. One thing I noticed however was that I do NOT need the airbags like I used on the 2015. The truck does fine with the E2 hitch 1000 lb bars leveling out perfectly. So far, the airbags are just sitting in the box. The new frame on the Gen5's is noticeably...better...in my opinion vs the Gen4 frame. The rear springs on the Gen5 ORP apparently are two stage and do a better job than the Gen4's. That combination is a distinct improvement over the Gen4 pulling this travel trailer.
Thanks. I'll take the pressure up a bit. I'll think about changing out the tires.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing I see is to try to lever some more weight back to the front axle...Otherwise it seems OK.

Users who are viewing this thread