5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First tow 3.21 review

Redfour5

Reaction score
OK back from the trip. My final observations are that there is plenty of power just delivered a bit differently than a 3.92. I was mostly above 65 running 72 mph for maybe 150 miles of the trip of the trip. I tended toward upper 60's on cruise on the flat most of the way back as I wasn't in as much of a hurry. I am not sure how much that impacted gas mileage, but I got 8 mpg for the whole trip including about 70 miles without the trailer. 8.2 mpg. Any mileage advantages of the 3.21 do not really exist when towing...at least for me. It was in the same ballpark as the 3.92 rear end and maybe a bit worse by a few 10ths... I ran 90/91 octane.

I was going from Helena Montana to Spokane WA about 310 towing miles one way, so 620 both ways and maybe 100 not towing. Fortunately it was downhill both ways.... Not really but there are two passes on the trip and the trailer did fine at around 60. My temps were all good but the oil was hitting 260 on the ups on the passes and around 225/230 the rest of the time. It does provide good engine braking going down in tow haul. So, hauling a 27 foot 3 inch travel trailer dry weight of 5700 lbs, around 6700 loaded in the mountains works just fine and I am feeling better about my purchase. The 2021 is a much better ride than the 2015 Outdoorsman, very quiet. I prefer KO2's for towing but you can get buy with the 20 inch Falken AT3 A's that come on the truck. I think it is preference. After towing thousands of miles on the KO2's, you get used to a certain feel and I like the hard sidewalls. The soft sidewalls on those vs the KO2's is noticable as a sort of "wallowing" effect. It adds a split second secondary action in wind, as in gust, wallow, catch by the truck and bite vs the KO2's that are just hard as a rock and don't give (wallow). It is a very smooth ride though and I'm thinking the Falkens are part of that vs KO2's that are a hard ride. The 2021 is quieter inside than the 2015, just a more comfortable ride although to be honest, the 2015 is still a nice tow with the difference being the 2015 is just a bit more "truck" like. I use a Fastway E2 hitch with a 10,000 lb weight and 1000 lb bars. It does a great job and we did have a few 30/40 mile gusts and some wind and rain on the way back. It is much better in the rain no feeling of lack of control. I'm not sure if tires are in play regarding this feeling. I bought air bags but tried it without them and it really doess't need them with a well set up WDH. I have the lane assist and tried it. On mountain interstate roads where they drop speed to 55 and 45 mph, the lane keeper isn't that great, turn it off. On long straightaways It does have a purpose but you have to find just the right setting or it is obnoxious. The 2021 keeps "center" better than the 2015 that tended to keep you on your toes as it seemed to "wander" a bit. Tires may be in play there, I am not sure.

Last edited:

SBrentnall

Reaction score
The concern about gear ratio is pretty irrelevant these days with 8 and 10 speeds. The only spot you'll notice it is <= 2nd gear.
It's handy for pulling horses, where you're pulling heavy moving weight and spending quite a bit of time on surface streets. Like you said, 1st - 2nd gear stuff.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's handy for pulling horses, where you're pulling heavy moving weight and spending quite a bit of time on surface streets. Like you said, 1st - 2nd gear stuff.

I know somebody who pulls their horses with a v6 grand cherokee 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying that the 3.92 doesn't have a use case, just that far too many people worry about it because of how important it used to be with a 4 or 6 speed. It's just one factor that goes into what our trucks can tow, but it is very rarely the limiting factor. It's all about the payload or lack thereof in our trucks.

dannymcd

Reaction score
your setup is similar to mine (7400/900). I've towed thru WV on long and steep grades without issue. The temp gauges are very similar to running empty except for the oil temp. it's usually around 215F empty and on those long climbs it can get to 275F. Now, I use "liquid gold" in Amsoil HD oil >$100 DIY oil change so I'm not concern about it but if I was going to be towing those loads on a weekly basis I would look at getting an additional cooler and improved filtration system so I could use some less expensive oil, I might do that at some point anyway, it's just the thought of wrenching on a 3yr old truck kinda makes me want to find an old GMT400.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I know somebody who pulls their horses with a v6 grand cherokee 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying that the 3.92 doesn't have a use case, just that far too many people worry about it because of how important it used to be with a 4 or 6 speed. It's just one factor that goes into what our trucks can tow, but it is very rarely the limiting factor. It's all about the payload or lack thereof in our trucks.
I currently pull two horses with an Acura MDX, but I have a very lightweight European trailer (2,000 lbs and 140 tongue weight). But pulling away from a stop light is definitely a slow process.

Edited to add: It's slow because I have horses in the back, not because the car is underpowered. I always move away from a stop slowly when I'm pulling horses, to give them time to adjust their balance. But it means that puling power in lower gears is definitely important to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread