5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tire Replacement - Suburban Driving

BizWiz

Reaction score
I'm at 39k miles and my OEM Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are smoked. The front tires wore on the inside and outside. The center of the tread is still good. I ran them at 35 to 38 psi. Everyone I talked to said be happy with the mileage that I got out of them.

For my next set of tires I plan to stick with the same tire size. I'm debating between a) Falken Wildpeak A/T b) Falken Wildpeak H/T or c) Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra

I will occasionally drive on dirt or gravel when hunting or camping but nothing I need an aggressive tread pattern for.

My priorities are:

a) tire life
b) wet driving
c) road noise

Is there an obvious choice? One I should definitely avoid?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what size you're looking for but tons of good tire info here.

Michelin Defenders seem to be popular for what you're looking for. I don't run them nor have I ever but it would be my choice if I wanted that type of tire. I went with Scorpions for a bit more of an aggressive look, however they are quiet and smooth.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'm at 39k miles and my OEM Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are smoked. The front tires wore on the inside and outside. The center of the tread is still good. I ran them at 35 to 38 psi. Everyone I talked to said be happy with the mileage that I got out of them.
Poor tire wear because you ran them under-inflated.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3 (snow rated) are probably the best AT tire available.

To meet your priorities look at Hercules Terra Trac AT X-Venture, Continental TerrainClimate A/T, and Michelin Agilis Crossclimate. Michelin Defenders are popular, but IMO overrated, I would never buy them again.

I speak from experience with using all the brands I've mentioned

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

For my next set of tires I plan to stick with the same tire size. I'm debating between a) Falken Wildpeak A/T b) Falken Wildpeak H/T or c) Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra

I will occasionally drive on dirt or gravel when hunting or camping but nothing I need an aggressive tread pattern for.

My priorities are:

a) tire life
b) wet driving
c) road noise

Is there an obvious choice? One I should definitely avoid?
The non-factory Wikdpeaks are good

As for your tire wear, that was due to underinflation. I ran mine at 45 front and 37 rear when I was running the factory tires. The ride was better as well.

When you get new tires, you will have to find the pressure that works best for them as it will be different.

jws1982

Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I’ve been running them for 30k miles and they’re still as good as they were new. My driving profile and tire priorities are very similar to yours.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would consider the Michelin Defender or Continental Terrain Contact in either the HT or the AT which still does good on wet pavement.

1923bob

Reaction score
Poor tire wear because you ran them under-inflated.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3 (snow rated) are probably the best AT tire available.

To meet your priorities look at Hercules Terra Trac AT X-Venture, Continental TerrainClimate A/T, and Michelin Agilis Crossclimate. Michelin Defenders are popular, but IMO overrated, I would never buy them again.

I speak from experience with using all the brands I've mentioned
I just went with Mickey Thomphson Baja Boss A/T So far so good

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 35x12.50R20 Radar Renegade AT-Pro. Can't comment on treadlife yet, but they handle snow good, have decent wet traction, and good dry traction. Have even done some light off roading, and muddy roads. And are probably one of the cheaper options, if price is a concern.

Attachments

• PXL_20230212_183142777.jpg
    PXL_20230212_183142777.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230216_152136200.jpg
    PXL_20230216_152136200.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230216_152821375~2.jpg
    PXL_20230216_152821375~2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 30

1923bob

Reaction score
I have 35x12.50R20 Radar Renegade AT-Pro. Can't comment on treadlife yet, but they handle snow good, have decent wet traction, and good dry traction. Have even done some light off roading, and muddy roads. And are probably one of the cheaper options, if price is a concern.
look good. I cant comment on treadlife yet my self and no snow in San Diego but they look cool.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't need Snow traction I'd give the Continental Terrain Contact A/T a try.
Otherwise I have run the Yokohama Geolander O018 several times (Great road manners, quiet, decent off road, decent water traction & evacuation, decent snow and ice traction), and currently run the Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 (all the same qualities, except fantastic snow and water traction/handling).

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went with Mickey Thomphson Baja Boss A/T So far so good
I was looking at them but got the Scorps for $200 ea. Couldn't resist.

I was worried about noise and ride with Mickeys. Glad to hear they're working out. They're on my future list.

Users who are viewing this thread