5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Time Trailer Launch

gordo1337

Reaction score
sucking up my pride and asking.....Watched countless videos and made some practice drive around the block but the boat launch is the real task. I have a 21 Rebel with pretty much every feature that should help me with doing this. Should mention I'm ONLY backing in a jet ski or kayak but I want to practice doing this safely and not end up in the water. 4wd auto? 4wd hi? parking brake? Rear Lock? Please if someone can explain their process with OUR trucks and what you use I would greatly appreciate it. (y)

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I have a CDL and once drove a 18wheeler for a living. I will tell you that the longer the trailer, the easier. I find its easy to rock the steering wheel back and fourth for smaller trailer at a slow speed. Just turning 10 to 20 degree's back and forth will keep it strait. I'm sure that don't make sense, but try it next time you're backing up.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Shouldn't have much to worry about. I used to put my Jeep in lo range when I had 35s on it to help keep from choking it down when pulling the boat out, launching the boat no problem. Once I got 4.88s it was no problem. With an auto not much to worry about. If the ramp is real steep or slick you can put it in 4 auto.

jkm312

Reaction score
Do not get in a hurry. When you launch the jet ski, pay attention to where to water is to a reference point (you chose what works for you) on the trailer so you know how far to back in into the water. What the surface and condition of the ramp is will determine to some extent what drive you use. 2 wheel drive will be enough in most cases as light as the jet ski and trailer is. Save the 4 auto if you spin your wheels. Keep your tail pipe out of the water, same for the wheel hubs. Never untie the jet ski until you are ready to back it off the trailer, same as when landing, tie it up before you get off of it. They will float away no matter what you think. Do not get in a hurry, look things over, everything hooked up, tied down. If you trailer lights aren't sealed units, unplug them before you get them wet, avoid a short or blown fuse.

Anybody tells you they have never made a mistake or done something stupid once in awhile at a boat ramp has a short memory. Experience comes from making good decisions, bad decisions give you experience to draw on.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Practice backing into your driveway or a spot in an empty parking lot before going to a busy boat ramp. The only time I've used 4x4 was pulling out of an extremely steep ramp.

If you have a narrow trailer your biggest challenge may be backing an empty trailer.

Nova90

Reaction score
Take your time, sometimes it's harder with smaller trailers as they are harder to see and can quickly get out of hand. Small movements will be even more pronounced.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I used to drop my tailgate when backing a narrow trailer so I could keep my eye on it. It would be difficult to do with this truck

Oldphart

Reaction score
Do not get in a hurry. When you launch the jet ski, pay attention to where to water is to a reference point (you chose what works for you) on the trailer so you know how far to back in into the water. What the surface and condone of the ramp will determine to some extent what drive you use. 2 wheel drive will be enough in most cases as light as the jet ski and trailer is. Save the 4 auto if you spin your wheels. Keep you tail pipe out of the water, same for the wheel hubs. Never untie the jet ski until you are ready to back it off the trailer, same as when landing, tie it up before you get off of it. They will float away no matter what you think. Do not get in a hurry, look things over.

Anybody tells you they have never made a mistake or done something stupid once in awhile at a boat ramp has a short memory. Experience comes from making good decisions, bad decisions give you experience to draw on.
Good advice here. What has not been said is that when backing, put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. If you need to move the trailer to the left, move your hand to the left and visa-versa. Leave the engine running if the exhaust pipe is under water. Be sure it's in park with the parking brake on. 4 auto or high when you leave depending on ramp angle. It's really not that difficult if you take your time. ASK FOR A SPOTTER IF YOU ARE ALONE. Most folks will be glad to help so the ramp won't get tied up. Pretty soon, you will be the one sitting at the ramp on Memorial Day weekend with a cooler of beer watching the first timers who are sure they know how to back in perfectly. Always good fun! Google launch ramp incidents to see what I mean.

gordo1337

Reaction score
Do not get in a hurry. When you launch the jet ski, pay attention to where to water is to a reference point (you chose what works for you) on the trailer so you know how far to back in into the water. What the surface and condition of the ramp is will determine to some extent what drive you use. 2 wheel drive will be enough in most cases as light as the jet ski and trailer is. Save the 4 auto if you spin your wheels. Keep your tail pipe out of the water, same for the wheel hubs. Never untie the jet ski until you are ready to back it off the trailer, same as when landing, tie it up before you get off of it. They will float away no matter what you think. Do not get in a hurry, look things over, everything hooked up, tied down. If you trailer lights aren't sealed units, unplug them before you get them wet, avoid a short or blown fuse.

thank you for this, most pf the ramps i have been too are not that steep and i do not think i will need 4wd. There is ONE ramp where the incline worries me but I was there the other day and inspected the ramp and didn't see a lot of algae built up so that made me feel better but I may save that launch for when I am a little more comfortable. In the event that I'm backed down in 2wd and I start to spin on the way up what is the proper way to get into 4wd....i have never had to engage on a slope before and read you can sometimes rock back as its transferring.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thank you for this, most pf the ramps i have been too are not that steep and i do not think i will need 4wd. There is ONE ramp where the incline worries me but I was there the other day and inspected the ramp and didn't see a lot of algae built up so that made me feel better but I may save that launch for when I am a little more comfortable. In the event that I'm backed down in 2wd and I start to spin on the way up what is the proper way to get into 4wd....i have never had to engage on a slope before and read you can sometimes rock back as its transferring.
Stand on the brake pedal, shift to 4-hi and be done. No way are you going to need 4-lo pulling a jet ski up the ramp. As far as rocking back few inches, who cares.
Want to get all wound-up, watch Miami boat ramp fails.

jkm312

Reaction score
Just stop and hold it with the brake, shift into neutral, shift to 4 auto, back into drive and off you go. You just aren't pulling that much weight. Another thing you can do is add some "rods" with flags on them tall enough to get above the tail gate so you know where the back corner of the trailer is if you can't see it. You have a back up camera, so that should tell you a lot. I'm an old truck driver, I use the mirrors, never could get the hang of the camera's for backing on the move.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Just stop and hold it with the brake, shift into neutral, shift to 4 auto, back into drive and off you go. You just aren't pulling that much weight. Another thing you can do is add some "rods" with flags on them tall enough to get above the tail gate so you know where the back corner of the trailer is if you can't see it. You have a back up camera, so that should tell you a lot. I'm an old truck driver, I use the mirrors, never could get the hang of the camera's for backing on the move.
I was under the impression that in our trucks, you can just shift on the fly. I've gone from 2 or 4A to 4H while moving down the road. No odd noises and everything seems OK.

jkm312

Reaction score
I was under the impression that in our trucks, you can just shift on the fly. I've gone from 2 or 4A to 4H while moving down the road. No odd noises and everything seems OK.
You can. I just go as easy as I can until I have to push it on the rare occasion when I have to.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you switch to a TRX, there’s an automated feature for launching a boat from a trailer.

1717515919216.png

Technically, it launches the truck and leaves the boat in place. But that’s just semantics, really.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
sucking up my pride and asking.....Watched countless videos and made some practice drive around the block but the boat launch is the real task. I have a 21 Rebel with pretty much every feature that should help me with doing this. Should mention I'm ONLY backing in a jet ski or kayak but I want to practice doing this safely and not end up in the water. 4wd auto? 4wd hi? parking brake? Rear Lock? Please if someone can explain their process with OUR trucks and what you use I would greatly appreciate it. (y)
save yourself from making ramp enemies and practice at home backing. practice and master using the outside mirrors before trying the fancy stuff.
use small steering wheel corrections it doesn't take much wheel when done properly. your basically training your brain and steering movements doing it this way. I still use my mirrors even with the fancy gadgets in the truck because they never fail me, and I am used to them from years of work experience. of course, I started backing hay wagons into the barn at 14 and those are a different animal than a boat trailer. also when I launch by bass boat I just keep the truck in Auto 4x4.

cerbo

Reaction score
4wd auto before you even back in, why not. Some ramps can be slick.
The most important thing, make sure the drain plug is IN for the ski, LOL.
Those little trailers are way worse than a larger one as @LITTLEREBEL already stated.
Practice, practice , practice .

Users who are viewing this thread