5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first Ram, impressions after a 1000 miles

JBV

Reaction score
i'm a few weeks into owning my factory ordered Ram Big Horn. it's my first full size truck, first V8, first Ram. outgoing vehicle was a 2008 Nissan Frontier that i drove for 12 years (my first truck) and i loved that truck. reliable, great to drive, small and nimble, roomy for it's size, etc. sold to a friend for a great price.

you won't be surprised when i say that the Ram is amazing. truly amazing. at first it was overwhelming actually. so nice, so new, so different, so big. i had a week overlap before selling the Fronty and experienced some 'buyer's remorse'. the old truck is just so simple and familiar and paid for! a bit about me: 6 5, lanky guy, 54. fussy as hell, downright persnickety. while collar worker, blue collar at play. this is a pure recreational truck, camping, fishing, biking, paddling, big road trips, etc.

Highlights:
- looks and design. this truck is a stunning achievement in design. looks amazing from every angle., inside and out. it's the best of what America can produce and it looks like they had a couple of guys from Audi on the design team. it's actually a sophisticated truck in all respects.
- interior is gorgeous. and Ram lets you get it how you want. no sunroof, no leather, not all black, etc. frost beige and grey interior. all buttons and switches look and feel great. it's very refined. even the sounds are perfect. ever drive a GM truck and use the turn signal? it's an assault on the senses. actually, everything about a GM interior is an assault on the senses. unless you're a teenage boy.
- the drive: it's a huge vehicle (crew cab long box) but drives smaller than it is. the handling is fantastic. smooth and quiet. no vibration, minimal wind noise even at 80.
- dash and electronics. gorgeous. clarity and sharpness are as good or better than my new Macbook pro.
- engine/transmission and power. no comment necessary!

Not sure yets:
- seats are good, but i wish the seat bottom's were about an inch longer. i have super long legs though.
- still adapting to the single stalk for everything with none on the right side. never seen any vehicle like this. i think it will be great in time, but i still automatically reach for the right side.
- so much tech and computer screen. i love that i can hit a button and turn the screen off because i'm not yet used to driving a modern truck with all the tech.
- radio presets erase every time i get in the truck. arghhhhhhh......

i've read enough horror stories on this forum about leaks, shimmys, ticks, and problems great and small. the worst leads to lemon law outcomes, which has given me nightmares. i bought the full 7 year warranty for the big bucks and told the dealer, you're my new best friends and my expectations are sky high with this warranty. i don't buy new vehicles normally and don't drop 70 grand lightly, so i expect a lot.

it's an incredible truck, looks amazing and if it looks and runs like it does now i plan on owning it for a decade or more.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i'm a few weeks into owning my factory ordered Ram Big Horn. it's my first full size truck, first V8, first Ram. outgoing vehicle was a 2008 Nissan Frontier that i drove for 12 years (my first truck) and i loved that truck. reliable, great to drive, small and nimble, roomy for it's size, etc. sold to a friend for a great price.

you won't be surprised when i say that the Ram is amazing. truly amazing. at first it was overwhelming actually. so nice, so new, so different, so big. i had a week overlap before selling the Fronty and experienced some 'buyer's remorse'. the old truck is just so simple and familiar and paid for! a bit about me: 6 5, lanky guy, 54. fussy as hell, downright persnickety. while collar worker, blue collar at play. this is a pure recreational truck, camping, fishing, biking, paddling, big road trips, etc.

Highlights:
- looks and design. this truck is a stunning achievement in design. looks amazing from every angle., inside and out. it's the best of what America can produce and it looks like they had a couple of guys from Audi on the design team. it's actually a sophisticated truck in all respects.
- interior is gorgeous. and Ram lets you get it how you want. no sunroof, no leather, not all black, etc. frost beige and grey interior. all buttons and switches look and feel great. it's very refined. even the sounds are perfect. ever drive a GM truck and use the turn signal? it's an assault on the senses. actually, everything about a GM interior is an assault on the senses. unless you're a teenage boy.
- the drive: it's a huge vehicle (crew cab long box) but drives smaller than it is. the handling is fantastic. smooth and quiet. no vibration, minimal wind noise even at 80.
- dash and electronics. gorgeous. clarity and sharpness are as good or better than my new Macbook pro.

Not sure yets:
- seats are good, but i wish the seat bottom's were about an inch longer. i have super long legs though.
- still adapting to the single stalk for everything with none on the right side. never seen any vehicle like this. i think it will be great in time, but i still automatically reach for the right side.
- so much tech and computer screen. i love that i can hit a button and turn the screen off because i'm not yet used to driving a modern truck with all the tech.

i've read enough horror stories on this forum about leaks, shimmys, ticks, and problems great and small. the worst leads to lemon law outcomes, which has given me nightmares. i bought the full 7 year warranty for the big bucks and told the dealer, you're my new best friends and my expectations are sky high with this warranty. i don't buy new vehicles normally and don't drop 70 grand lightly, so i expect a lot.

it's an incredible truck, looks amazing and if it looks and runs like it does now i plan on owning it for a decade or more.

I think this is the most annoying thing about this forum (all forums), the problems a few have are blown up to make it seem like a model wide problem when in reality, its less than 1% of trucks

U

User_3336

Elaborate on the 7-year warranty you purchased . . .

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Highlights:

Not sure yets:

Congrats on the new truck. I’m one of them who had a 19 ram lemon lawed! I now have a 2021 ram Laramie with no known issues yet at 7300 miles. I was not as upset about the issue as the way ram and dealers treated me, like no one really cared. Then in the end told no more they can do! Then after 7-8 dealer visit where a ram rep. Admitted that my truck was not right! I gave ram a week to figure out what they were going to do a d they finally bought it back! I wish you the best of luck, extended warranty can be good I guess, but when your $70,000 truck has a issue and your told there’s no more they can do a warranty won’t help at all!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck!

Is your "deleting presets" issue for regular radio or for Sirius XM? If Sirius, that is usually resolved by creating a profile in the radio.

If you're talking regular radio presets, and the above does not help at all: after setting them all, save/store your memory seat settings (assuming you have that feature). It should also save/store your radio presets.

JBV

Reaction score
no memory seats. they've made it a couple days so hopefully it will continue. any stations, not just SXM. i read that setting a profile may prevent it all around. i have no idea how to do this but will figure it out.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i bought the full 7 year warranty for the big bucks and told the dealer, you're my new best friends and my expectations are sky high with this warranty. i don't buy new vehicles normally and don't drop 70 grand lightly, so i expect a lot.
your dealer is probably laughing when you said that to them. They don't care about you. The person who sold you the warranty only cares that they made their commission. I don't like buying cars either as I don't like the payments but expecting alot from the dealers these days is not gonna happen. I work at the dealer and dealer employees are being screwed over left and right. as far as the warranty, it would be great if the 7 yrs started when the factory warranty ended, not from the day your purchased it. So in reality, you payed $3400 for 4 yrs of warranty (2 yrs for powertrain).

JBV

Reaction score
2 things i 'm not impressed with on my truck. first is the grab handles for front passengers. it's strange to me that no one on the Ram design team, or any test drivers, focus groups, etc, would have said, 'hey, everything else in this truck looks and feels great to touch, except for the grab handles, which are too thin and have a sharp edge on the inside, let's change that'. very strange to me. so i've wrapped a leather bar tape around them as the solution. doesn't look the best but functional and i use it every time i drive.

second thing is the lack of a foot rest or 'dead pedal' for your left foot. this became a real annoyance coming from a vehicle that had one and i found it odd and uncomfortable to have my left foot pointed out flat. it's odd enough for general driving, but even more when driving off road. so i made one out of a block of wood and just glued it in place and that solves that.

Users who are viewing this thread