5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First post! Mall Crawler?

martyhustle

Reaction score
Hi all, so glad I found this site! Bought a 2021 Night Edition, coming from Grand Cherokees. I was a major lurker on a couple of Jeep forums and they usually had a sticky thread on wheel, tires and lifts. I‘ve combed through the 1000+ pages of What did you do to your RAM today and found a ton of good info on a bunch of stuff. What I’m looking for is info on a mild off road upgrade, or affectionately a Mall Crawler. Something for driving around Minnesota in the snow and a little off roading for hunting season.

I like the stock 20” rims, but looking to maybe up the tire size a bit. Leveling kit seems obvious but how tall? Is there a post somewhere about how big of a tire you can put on without rubbing issues? I was thinking of adding spacers to help with any rubbing and a little better look as well, again nothing crazy.

I just need to get rid of these Duellers and want a better stance. Sorry if this has been talked about, didn’t see anything after looking around. Thanks!

Kaderast

Reaction score
Never heard the term mall crawler before, kind of hilarious though. I put a 2" front level on mine, and plan to upgrade to 33s as soon as the Wildpeaks wear out (or if they terrify me this winter they're coming off immediately.)

My last truck (2014 Silverado) was the same setup, 2" front level and 33s. Got me around 98% of backcountry forest service roads to access all the hunting and camping I want, just can't get over the extreme high mountain passes that require legit rock (not mall) crawlers. My opinion is that a 2" level and 33s is very sufficient, very cheap, and won't kill your fuel economy or look like you're trying too hard to look cool.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fill in your signature block so we know a bit about your truck.

Yea, you aren't getting Jeep sized tires without an investment. I have a 4 inch lift for my 35s. A true mall crawler can do a 3.5" and still fit 35s. The 33s mentioned above will easily fit but it is a lot of vehicle for such small tires. Not like the 35s I put on my Rubi that was straight stock.

The independent suspension is not as lift friendly as a jeep. I went with BDS as it keeps the angles on the front axle shafts correct. The Zone kits are by the same company and a bit more budget friendly while doing the same thing. BDS just has higher cuts for clearances which you may care about off roading or not if mall crawling.

Users who are viewing this thread