5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change

Rockbuggy

Reaction score
Took my 2020 to the dealer for it's first oil change. I asked them what oil they use, they said Rotella T6. I've noticed more typewriter tick and engine clatter when cold after the oil change. Does anybody know what these trucks are factory filled with? Should I change it?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Took my 2020 to the dealer for it's first oil change. I asked them what oil they use, they said Rotella T6. I've noticed more typewriter tick and engine clatter when cold after the oil change. Does anybody know what these trucks are factory filled with? Should I change it?
what weight oil did they use?

jth877

Reaction score
I had some chatter on start up with the oem oil and after my first change with M1 and mopar filter.

Third change I used Rotella 5w-20 gas truck oil and a wix filter. Much better. 3 months and no chatter even at below freezing temps.

sschweik

Reaction score
I had them put full synthetic in. No noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotts4u

Reaction score
Rotella T6 is a diesel oil. Do you have the Eco Diesel engine in your 1500?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Is this the Diesel or Hemi engine that you have??

Rotella T6 (15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 ) does not come in 5w20, the recommended factory weight oil for the 2020 Hemi. The proper oil weight is listed on the engine oil fill cap.

jth877

Reaction score
You can certainly use desiel oil of the right weight. It contains a lot off additives that have been removed from gasoline oils. People running jeep 4.0l engines would often use T5 10w30. Any flat tappet i would use rotella including all small engines.

The hemi was designed to use 5w30 or 5w20 in below zero temps. It's probably more beneficial to run 5w30 in the summer, but those weights are pretty close in performance especially if synthetic.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The hemi was designed to use 5w30 or 5w20 in below zero temps. It's probably more beneficial to run 5w30 in the summer, but those weights are pretty close in performance especially if synthetic.
Oil recommendations for the Hemi in 5th gen 1500's do not include 5w-30. 2019 thru 2021 recommendation was for 5w-20. Recommendation for 2022 models appears to have changed to 0w-20. Many people use 5w-30, but that viscosity is not recommended by Ram.

Regardless, as mentioned, Rotella T6 is not meant for use in the Hemi engine. They used the wrong oil.

jth877

Reaction score
What has changed to warrant new oil weight recommendations? I doubt it has anything to do with engine longevity.

I would not run T6. The weights are too far off. I would run it in a sterndrive mercruiser though :)

Spokes

Reaction score
Was anyone else oil filter overly tight? I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and the oil filter was tight AF. As you can see it was so tight it crushed trying to break loose and then I had to use the good old screw driver and hammer trick... Something you expect from Pepboy's lube tech, not Ram.

Attachments

• IMG_4701.jpg
    IMG_4701.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 14

NCBACKCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Was anyone else oil filter overly tight? I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and the oil filter was tight AF. As you can see it was so tight it crushed trying to break loose and then I had to use the good old screw driver and hammer trick... Something you expect from Pepboy's lube tech, not Ram.
I've read multiple times they are on there tight from the factory. Even the ram 2500 cummins are like that the 1st oil change.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, as long as you get it off of there. Just wondering if you had warmed the engine up before changing the oil. I haven't had any issues with removing the factory filters on three different 5th gens or two different 4th gens. My procedure is to warm the engine up to operating temp, then shut it off and wait for 20 to 30 minutes before starting the oil change.

Spokes

Reaction score
Haha, as long as you get it off of there. Just wondering if you had warmed the engine up before changing the oil. I haven't had any issues with removing the factory filters on three different 5th gens or two different 4th gens. My procedure is to warm the engine up to operating temp, then shut it off and wait for 20 to 30 minutes before starting the oil change.
Yup, had drove it over an hour and let it sit for about 10min before I performed the oil change. It was 10* outside when I was doing it so I wanted that sucker warm LOL

Users who are viewing this thread