5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Flipped 2500 miles yesterday and I had filters and Pennzoil platinum 5w-20 sourced. I have a 2600 mile towing trip in a week and a half so I wanted to get the factory fill out and the good stuff in.

Oil draining was easy except when the oil stream crosses the sway bar it makes a mess on the floor. I was using a good size 15-20” ish pan and it still splattered on the floor.

The oil filter was probably the tightest one I’ve ever had to take off in my life. I’ve removed thousands. Ended up grabbing some channel lock pliers that had an angle on the handle and they worked. Took a while as I could only get a small turn on it every time due to the lack of space. I can see why they are using the smaller filter now as I don’t think it would be possible to get an 899 in there. I need to figure out a funnel (maybe a form a funnel) that I can set under the filter and dump it out before pulling it all the way out. Going back in sideways with a dry filter was much easier.

Added 6.5 QT and it was low on the stick after sitting. Added exactly 7qt per the bottle and it shows slightly below the full mark on the dipstick.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the heads up ! I used to squeeze a standard style funnel between my header tubes on my 67 Plymouth. If not it made for very Smokey post oil changes even if cleaned up throughly.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Did you get the 3 inch or 4 inch?
If you look it up on amazon there is a video of the guy actually changing oil on a dodge and he uses both. The 4" seems to allow more wiggle room if you plash some oil on the side and you can turn the filter completely upside down inside the udder. The 3" works but is more form fitting and doesn't allow as much room for error

2021QCBH

Reaction score
4” sounds like exactly what I’m looking to do there. Thanks.

It was possible to remove it upright but it rubbed oil all over multiple tubes/surfaces on the way out. Dumping it and removing sideways would work great.

Users who are viewing this thread