5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change?

WRH

Reaction score
My console says the oil still has over 1/3rd of it's life, and I'm over 5,000 miles. I've always changed the oil at 3-5,000. Does this really have a 9,000 mile cycle? It makes me wonder if a couple thousand miles ago I accidentally pressed "OK" to reset and didn't realize it...

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Trucks today can go as far as 10k on an oil change under the right conditions with the right oil. My previous GMC would typically go between 7,500 and 8,500 miles starting from the factory. Oils today are better than they were years ago. I see no reason why a 7 quart Hemi couldn't make 7,500 miles between changes.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Trucks today can go as far as 10k on an oil change under the right conditions with the right oil. My previous GMC would typically go between 7,500 and 8,500 miles starting from the factory. Oils today are better than they were years ago. I see no reason why a 7 quart Hemi couldn't make 7,500 miles between changes.
^^^ This ^^^

lpdb185

Reaction score
I just had my first service done today, and it had 9,980 miles on it and 2% left. I tried to take it in at 5,000 miles and the service rep said to go by the oil life indicator, so long as it didn't exceed 10,000 miles (she referred me to the owner's manual, which basically says the same thing). 90% of my driving is on the highway.

However, a different service rep helped me today, and after they were done, he said he was setting me an appointment to have it serviced again in 5,000 miles. So I'm wondering which is it, 5,000 or 10,000. Anybody know for sure? I'm assuming I'm supposed to go by the oil life indicator, as the owner's manual states.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just had my first service done today, and it had 9,980 miles on it and 2% left. I tried to take it in at 5,000 miles and the service rep said to go by the oil life indicator, so long as it didn't exceed 10,000 miles (she referred me to the owner's manual, which basically says the same thing). 90% of my driving is on the highway.

However, a different service rep helped me today, and after they were done, he said he was setting me an appointment to have it serviced again in 5,000 miles. So I'm wondering which is it, 5,000 or 10,000. Anybody know for sure? I'm assuming I'm supposed to go by the oil life indicator, as the owner's manual states.
Go with what the truck tells you.

First service writer was correct (and honest, so I would deal with her going forward).
Steer away from the second guy, as he wants you to spend more money.

lpdb185

Reaction score
Go with what the truck tells you.

First service writer was correct (and honest, so I would deal with her going forward).
Steer away from the second guy, as he wants you to spend more money.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Listen to what your truck says

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm one that believes you can't change oil too often. I had mine changed at roughly 3500 miles for the first and now I'll have it changed every 5000.
In that case, why wait until 3500?
With that logic, surely it must be better to do it at 3000, or better yet, 2500. Right?

DeanKing

Reaction score

Wow. You have a really honest service adviser.

jkempken

Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and change it about every 8k miles. I think my truck is based on Miles rather than life of oil as the life drops 1% for every 100 Miles I drive. I can actually watch it drop in the EVIC at 100 Miles.

TimG

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic, and one that has more opinions/sides than the upcoming election. But, coming from the diesel world (this is my first gasoline engine in almost 2 decades) I'm of the thinking that the first oil change should be done somewhere between 3000 and 6000 miles. Not because the oil is "broke down" or "bad", but because chunky metal things start shaving off the various parts its lubricating during the break-in period. Even the best filter wont catch them all. I'm sure the oil's viscosity and TBN is still very high, but all those chunks scraping and grinding around surely isn't helping matters.
Oil analysis is a very helpful and cheap diagnostic tool that can let you know if something is failing internally in your engine. It can tell you how much dissolved metal there is floating around your oil, and what the percentages of different metals means. It can also detect antifreeze, gasoline, and various acids in the oil that point to other problems like blown head gaskets, stuck valves, etc. I use Blackstone Lab, but there are many other labs out there that provide this service.
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com. That will tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about engine lubrication.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In that case, why wait until 3500?
With that logic, surely it must be better to do it at 3000, or better yet, 2500. Right?

Because I was on the road. Otherwise it would have been changed at around 3000. I change the oil in my Camaro every 500 or so. My Corvette every 1,000 even using Mobil 1. My Jeep every 3-4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online