5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change recommendations???

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just changed my oil and filter and it was much easier using the Oil Udder. It eases the grief (teeth gnashing, cursing, paper towels, cleaners, etc) of replacing the oil filter in the 4WD Gen 5 Ram. It's thick and durable enough you don't have to worry about a slippery plastic bag trying to contain warm to hot oil and filter.
Those do look pretty cool.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the last almost 20 years, I've had a new vehicle either every year or every other year and have never seen oil this black on a first oil change. I haven't had the oil tested, but I'm guessing I wouldn't like the results. Why people wait more than 1-2k miles for the first change is beyond me.
I think the initial fill is conventional oil. My oil was black when I changed it at 7500 miles but who's to say it still wasn't effective? It doesn't take much discoloration for oil to be black when it's in volume and in a dark container. How did it look on the dipstick? Mine was dark but didn't obscured my vision of the dipstick.

My last truck was a diesel and each oil change was 4 gallons. Granted it was a diesel but the oil was pitch black on the dipstick within 500 miles.

So many variables make it hard to generalize: did the sump get filled low or high in spec on the assembly line, how long did it sit before it was shipped to the dealer lot, how hard was it test driven, how long did it sit between starts, etc.

My truck had just over 40 miles on the odometer when I bought it but it was 5 months old when I bought it and I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. Since then I changed the oil at 7500 miles and every 10K after that. I just turned 50K miles this week with no issues (PUP oil and Mobil 1 filter since 7500 miles).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the initial fill is conventional oil. My oil was black when I changed it at 7500 miles but who's to say it still wasn't effective? It doesn't take much discoloration for oil to be black when it's in volume and in a dark container. How did it look on the dipstick? Mine was dark but didn't obscured my vision of the dipstick.

My last truck was a diesel and each oil change was 4 gallons. Granted it was a diesel but the oil was pitch black on the dipstick within 500 miles.

So many variables make it hard to generalize: did the sump get filled low or high in spec on the assembly line, how long did it sit before it was shipped to the dealer lot, how hard was it test driven, how long did it sit between starts, etc.

My truck had just over 40 miles on the odometer when I bought it but it was 5 months old when I bought it and I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. Since then I changed the oil at 7500 miles and every 10K after that. I just turned 50K miles this week with no issues (PUP oil and Mobil 1 filter since 7500 miles).
I understand what you’re saying, but I’m not going to deep into a debate without having lab data to back up my statements.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Without any scientific analysis it comes down to a subjective discussion on preferred oil color. ;)

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just got done with my first oil change, and I'm very glad I did it when I did. For the last almost 20 years, I've had a new vehicle either every year or every other year and have never seen oil this black on a first oil change. I haven't had the oil tested, but I'm guessing I wouldn't like the results. Why people wait more than 1-2k miles for the first change is beyond me.

For the filter, Mongo the oil filter tightener must've been replaced by Frank because I had no issue loosening it with a short metal strap wrench positioned near the base of the filter (where it's strongest). Sure it was tight, but nowhere near what people are claiming. I haven't found the writeup for the two-ziplock bag method, so I used one gallon ziplock and it worked perfectly. Pics of the gross oil and ziplocked filter are below.
what is you truck?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got done with my first oil change, and I'm very glad I did it when I did. For the last almost 20 years, I've had a new vehicle either every year or every other year and have never seen oil this black on a first oil change. I haven't had the oil tested, but I'm guessing I wouldn't like the results. Why people wait more than 1-2k miles for the first change is beyond me.

For the filter, Mongo the oil filter tightener must've been replaced by Frank because I had no issue loosening it with a short metal strap wrench positioned near the base of the filter (where it's strongest). Sure it was tight, but nowhere near what people are claiming. I haven't found the writeup for the two-ziplock bag method, so I used one gallon ziplock and it worked perfectly. Pics of the gross oil and ziplocked filter are below.
I just changed mine at 4800 miles, I’d hate to see what mine looked like, I try to take good care of things, even though I know I’m going to trade every 3 years! I’m just going by dealer recommendations. Some dealers/manufacturers state you should leave that factory oil in longer as they put something special in it for the engine break in wtf knows! I also like synthetic! But even you you ask/pay for it at the dealership, who knows what they really put in! I’m sure I got conventional oil or their cheap *** sny blend🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread