5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change in 2019 1500 Limited

Stinger19

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited since September of last year. I just did my first oil change at approximately 5000 miles. Upon loosening the oil pan bolt, the oil gushed out like no other vehicle I've ever owned. Has anyone noticed this? Also, I was astonished at how tight the factory installed the oil filter. It took me over 30 minutes to figure out a good way to get it off and then the oil just spills all over everything because it's in such a lousy place. I love my Ram, but damn...what a pain in the ***. Anyhow, it's all good now...7qts of Pennzoil full synthetic and a Mopar oil filter from Wally world.

Deezl

Reaction score
Just make a little "drain slide" from the oil filter box for the oil that comes from the filter to drain down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a pretty long thread on this and what everyone is using .. I just grab a plastic bag myself and drape it over the front end parts

Deezl

Reaction score
There is a pretty long thread on this and what everyone is using .. I just grab a plastic bag myself and drape it over the front end parts
That's great, if it works for you. However, using the cardboard box alleviates any splash, for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ride2little

Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these? I have one, just didn't think to use it at the time.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these? I have one, just didn't think to use it at the time.
Looks like a good, if not expensive, solution for the drain plug. Not sure how well it would work for the filter though.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Looks like a good, if not expensive, solution for the drain plug. Not sure how well it would work for the filter though.
The drain plug isn't a big deal to me. But that filter. What a mess.
I've had my Form-a-funnel for a long time and use it on my riding mower and other things. I find it pretty useful. I've never use it on the Ram though. Next time for sure.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yup, someone else posted that link months ago .. looks neat ..
but I like the simple idea of a funnel and plastic tubing .. that was 'cake' as I have both items laying around. LOL

drew7811

Reaction score

Yeah I wouldn't exactly consider a $20+ piece of rubber/plastic much of a deal. The oil filter location on this truck is a PITA though.

ram0686

Reaction score
Yeah first oil change break in oil seemed very thin.. splashed everywhere. Also... my oil filter was installed by a gorilla!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It comes out like water, specially if it's hot. As far as the filter goes I learned on my 4th gen that the cardboard "luge" makes it fairly painless. Definitely had worse, at least it's a spin on filter made out of metal. The V6 is a cartridge in a plastic housing!

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Try using a gallon freezer bag to grip the oil filter inside it. Loosen it slowly keeping the mouth of the bag over it...that's the least messy way I've found to do it...and still end up w/drips to clean up

If u install the OF correctly by hand (1 full turn after gasket touches engine) u should be able to break it loose by hand or just a touch with a wrench

That 1st virgin OC is a b1tch 4 sure, and yes they do have a designated pissed-off gorrilla to tighten them from factory

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I created an "oil slide" with some aluminum foil to help guide the oil from the drain hole. When I'm finished, I wipe it off, wad it up and throw it away.

To help slow down the oil flow, leave the cap and dip stick in place. After you get half the oil out, then go ahead and loosen up the oil cap and dip stick. This will help drain better.

As mentioned, use a large zip lock bag after you break the oil filter seal to help prevent major drips. Make sure to cover the area with old rags anyways as you will still get drips.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use a quart size zip loc. The gallon size is too big and snags on sharp edges. I think I made a bigger mess trying to use the gallon bag. The quart size bag can turn with the filter without snagging. I guess it's up to personal preference. Next oil change I'm installing the Fumoto drain valve with hose nipple and remote filter kit so I won't have either problem anymore.

Nibis

Reaction score
I use a quart size zip loc. The gallon size is too big and snags on sharp edges. I think I made a bigger mess trying to use the gallon bag. The quart size bag can turn with the filter without snagging. I guess it's up to personal preference. Next oil change I'm installing the Fumoto drain valve with hose nipple and remote filter kit so I won't have either problem anymore.
I got my Fumoto ready for the next change to install. I have also been looking at relocation kits, and I really like the Hmaburger's Performance Kits, part number 3367 should fit our trucks, and you need their mounting bracket. All the other kits I have researched seem pretty cheap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread