5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil change - High Idle

cfairfield

Reaction score
Good morning everybody. I converted from a 2016 F-150 Platinum to a 2023 1500 Limited with absolutely no regrets. :)

I work my truck a lot and I feel like my idle and drive time is high compared to my miles. 4235 miles, 196 Idle, 112 Drive.

1) is this bad on engine, and if so, how can I prevent unneeded wear. 2) Is there anything special y'all would do on the first round of oil change. I'm planning on using Pennzoil Platinum.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There's a note in the manual about changing oil after a certain amount of hours, it's under "Severe Duty" if memory serves

23RAM

Reaction score
I work my truck a lot and I feel like my idle and drive time is high compared to my miles. 4235 miles, 196 Idle, 112 Drive.
Idle is any time the truck is not moving, that includes sitting in traffic, stop lights, parking lots, warm up, etc. Unless you idle a lot on work sites, don't worry too much about it. My idle time when I bought the truck was high at first due to all the settings and playing with everything, plus it was Feb when I picked it up. In the summer I have very little idle time and it has long since balanced out and now idle time hardly accumulates.
1) is this bad on engine, and if so, how can I prevent unneeded wear.
As long as you do highway runs once in a while, don't worry about it. If you idle a lot for work, there's a 12 month or 350 hours service limit. So if the truck hits 350 hours before the oil change is due on the oil change indicator, change it anyway.
2) Is there anything special y'all would do on the first round of oil change. I'm planning on using Pennzoil Platinum.
Nothing special to do. Just change the oil when it's needed with full synthetic and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread