5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change advice

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad it wasn't just me who thought a gorilla put the factory installed oil filter on. HOLY CRAP....I've never had a filter so tight before!! The oil gushed out of the oil pan with crazy velocity too. I made a mess in my driveway and normally I don't spill a drop. I guess it had to happen sometime because I prefer changing my own oil. I'm definitely going to do the ziploc bag trick next time for the oil filter.

Part of the reason that I got the Femco drain. It drains once you attach the spout hose so there is no splatter with the pan draining.... The filter is another beast alltogether...

zlman

Reaction score
My first change is upcoming, have a fumoto valve waiting to be installed. I read in another thread, some guys punching a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain, thats my plan and I'll report back on my success or lack of :oops:

rotts4u

Reaction score
I changed mine myself and yes it was tough to break the seal on the factory oil filter but it wasn't anything crazy. I did mine at 1000 more or so and installed a Fumoto valve. If you wanna save yourself spillage put a plastic baggie around the old filter as you loosen it and the bag will catch a lot of the old oil

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first change is upcoming, have a fumoto valve waiting to be installed. I read in another thread, some guys punching a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain, thats my plan and I'll report back on my success or lack of :oops:
Make sure you can loosen the filter before you punch a hole in it. Nothing worse than destroying the filter then not being able to get it off. As many have mentioned their filter was installed by the Terminator at the factory. I am in the minority where it was easy to remove (a little too easy - I think mine was undertightened).

The Ziploc bag works great to remove the filter. I also recommend removing the skid plate (if you have one). It's only 4 bolts and it’s tough enough to get the filter out/in through all the 4wd stuff. The plate adds to that.

Last edited:

Ride2little

Reaction score
Glad it wasn't just me who thought a gorilla put the factory installed oil filter on. HOLY CRAP....I've never had a filter so tight before!! The oil gushed out of the oil pan with crazy velocity too. I made a mess in my driveway and normally I don't spill a drop. I guess it had to happen sometime because I prefer changing my own oil. I'm definitely going to do the ziploc bag trick next time for the oil filter.
I llke the funnel tip...

DennisY

Reaction score
All in all, it's kind of a bunch of baloney that we have to jump through these hoops just to change the oil! Give us a break RAM!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up with a 36k mi maintenance package from the dealer after some shenanigans they pulled at my purchase. That said, I wonder if I need to wait til 10k mi to make good on that first free oil change?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oil monitor is not 10,000 countdown, it varies depending on your driving style. Mine will recommend an oil change at about 7,500 miles, which is mixed driving.

I would stick with 5W/20, it's recommend for a few reasons. Main one is it works better for MDS operation, using 5W/30 may effect that. Also, Ford and Honda started using 5W20 two decades ago because they found out it had two great properties. One is better mpg, the other was improved upper valve-train lubrication. So much so that Ford back-specced earlier model year's already out of warranty due to improved lubrication.

As for changing early, I can't hurt though not required. Will it be better in the long term? Sure, but by how much, is it worth the cost and effort?

zlman

Reaction score
Letting my 1st change finish dripping as I type.
I knew from this and other threads what to expect as far as the mess that will happen, and they were right! Filter location is horrible, the baggie trick looks like it would help but I didn't even bother. The great news for me was Thor had the day off when they assembled my engine, filter came off easy with the wrench. Installing a Fumoto valve(F106SX) and that will make future changes easier.
Adding back Pennzoil 5/20 full synthetic and a Fram ultra synthetic filter.

Btolar1968

Reaction score
Valvomax is another brand. Purchased but I have to wait for the oil change to install.
Just ordered the Valvomax. Wish they had these when I was a kid, but also thankful I saw your post and will have one from now on. Thank you.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just ordered the Valvomax. Wish they had these when I was a kid, but also thankful I saw your post and will have one from now on. Thank you.
Unfortunately still have needed he oil change but it's getting close. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread