5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change, 1000 Miles or is this just Old Fashioned?

thirtydaZe

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when this was a pretty good idea, in fact I had a '22 GT last year, and I did change the oil at 1000 miles. My '23 is quickly approaching this milestone, is it worth doing, or just a waste of time and money now days?

jkm312

Reaction score
You can't hurt anything by changing the oil. You can hurt yourself if you don't. How often you change the oil depends on how hard you drive the truck, in what conditions and how well you want to maintain the truck. I'm in the change the oil camp and drive the truck within reason.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only time I change the oil under 5000 miles is the first time. Usually somewhere around 2500-3000 miles to get the factory oil along with any motor assembly stuff out. I’m sure the assembly process is clean but doesn’t hurt to make sure. Even very small metal chips or little slivers can do some damage. I found some on magnetic drain plugs in the past. Unfortunately it seems my current truck didn’t have one before I switched out for my Fumoto drain valve.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do around 1k miles on a new motor. Get any builders lube and shavings out of there.

Even if here isnt any, the cost is minimal compared to the grand scheme of operating costs, and the time to perform the change is less than it takes to post the question and read the answers.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I change mine between 500-1000 miles on any new car\truck.

They say you don't need to, but they also don't want your new car\truck to last forever also.

Unless you have a remanned engine swap I would change it way early to to clear anything out and get the proper oil in.
They use a much thicker oil from the factory and you can tell when you drain it it's not the same as the 0w20 that it requires per the manual (on 2022s)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessary. Do it if you want to, but it's not going to hurt anything to go longer. As far as stuff in the oil pan, that all gets filtered before it goes to any critical parts of the engine. at least as long as your filter isn't plugged and opening bypass valve

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I did an oil analysis at my first oil change, which was 4,500 miles, after seeing the copper content from breaking in, I would have preferred to have done it earlier, maybe 1,500 miles.

Is it necessary? No, but I just want to do it, for $60 in supplies and 30 minutes of my time, I would.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They use a much thicker oil from the factory and you can tell when you drain it it's not the same as the 0w20 that it requires per the manual (on 2022s)
Do you really just lay in bed at night and think up stuff like this? Being such a smart person, you must have concrete proof of this. Please provide proof, like an oil report or documentation that states this.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did an oil analysis at my first oil change, which was 4,500 miles, after seeing the copper content from breaking in, I would have preferred to have done it earlier, maybe 1,500 miles.

Is it necessary? No, but I just want to do it, for $60 in supplies and 30 minutes of my time, I would.
A scientifically- and results-driven opinion??
Blasphemy!

Seriously though, I'd just always done it based on "gut feeling".
Nice to know there could be some actual rationale for it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
If it makes you all snuggly feeling like sipping hot cocoa by the fireplace, while watching it snow outside the window on a school morning and having mom dropping in extra marshmallows giving your hair a tussle. Then you should do it. Otherwise, drive it like you stole it and change the oil at 5k to 7k miles with a good synthetic.

WhytheSport

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when this was a pretty good idea, in fact I had a '22 GT last year, and I did change the oil at 1000 miles. My '23 is quickly approaching this milestone, is it worth doing, or just a waste of time and money now days?
I did at 4000 km, if doing it at 1000 miles sets your mind at ease, $100 is a cheap price to pay. if you have engine problems down the road you'll immediately think "should have got that 1k oil change."

Go for it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did mine at 850 miles. was going to do it at 500 miles but was busy at work and had a long trip planned so delayed it.

oil was clean at 850 but it made me sleep better at night. and i only paid $20 (i think... i probably didn't pay LOL)

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I follow the owners manual with advice from the engineers who designed the engine etc. According to them if you follow recommended break-in procedures you should change the oil the 1st time the oil change indicator comes on. While it might not cost more than $60 to change the oil early folks who do early changes spend hundreds or thousands more over the life of the truck and create twice as much waste oil. I know it makes some owners feel better but I haven't seen any evidence it will improve engine life or performance vs a truck following manufacture intervals and oil recommendations.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you really just lay in bed at night and think up stuff like this? Being such a smart person, you must have concrete proof of this. Please provide proof, like an oil report or documentation that states this.
Ram even documents using a different oil from the factory they just don't say which. I don't recall if it was in the owners manual or elsewhere.
Someone just posted seeing high amounts of copper in their oil on the first change.

Do you lay in bed every night thinking everything is perfect?

John Galt

Reaction score
Probably makes no difference so do whatever makes you feel warmer and fuzzier.

I switch to olive oil at 2346 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread