5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First new ram since 2004

Back2gas

Reaction score
So, I hate to say it, but it is time to move on from my mighty '04.0 cummins. The truck still runs great and looks good, but I am tired of shifting gears and looking for a softer ride. Even though I modified the suspension multiple times, it is still too harsh. I will probably shed a few tears when the old girl goes, but it is time to move on.
The new truck should be here in the next week. It will have the 4 corner air suspension. Also looking forward to my first 4WD vehicle for the lousy northern Ohio winters. Really hate to go back to gas, but the diesel option is too costly and mainly screwed up by the EPA. The etorque system is interesting and during my test drive, seemed to function flawlessly. I am not sure why so many are looking to permanently disable it, but I will find that out once I get to drive it for a while. Performance mods are already on my mind, however I am not sure what will be available for the etorque version. Jim.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong at all with your reasoning... the ride on the 5th gen is nothing less than superb IMHO.
Yep, the diesel premium (especially if you don't tow heavy) just is not worth the extra costs all around as far as I see (maintenance and fuel, repairs). There are those that will tell you that the resale remains high and why not get the diesel and enjoy the tq, however you still have the 2500 ride and the not so great payload (due to the diesel's weight). $100+ oil changes, fuel filters, worriies about fuel quality... diesel gelling in bitter cold, the need for additives... Well, not for me.

I'll let the diesel fans tell me how wrong I am (for a daily driver non-tow vehicle owner).
If you tow heavy, I'm the 1st one to tell you to consider a diesel.

TimG

Reaction score
I went from an '05 2500 to a '17 2500 and that was an amazing upgrade. Then I went to the '19 1500, and it was an even bigger upgrade! I'm positive you wont miss the diesel after the first long roadtrip you do. Welcome to the "Former Diesel Owners" club!

gunphreek

Reaction score
So, I hate to say it, but it is time to move on from my mighty '04.0 cummins. The truck still runs great and looks good, but I am tired of shifting gears and looking for a softer ride. Even though I modified the suspension multiple times, it is still too harsh. I will probably shed a few tears when the old girl goes, but it is time to move on.
The new truck should be here in the next week. It will have the 4 corner air suspension. Also looking forward to my first 4WD vehicle for the lousy northern Ohio winters. Really hate to go back to gas, but the diesel option is too costly and mainly screwed up by the EPA. The etorque system is interesting and during my test drive, seemed to function flawlessly. I am not sure why so many are looking to permanently disable it, but I will find that out once I get to drive it for a while. Performance mods are already on my mind, however I am not sure what will be available for the etorque version. Jim.
I bought the Edge Pulsar last December for my truck. https://edgeproducts.com/shop/pulsar-2019-ram-1500-5-7l-hemi Wait a couple more weeks and it will probably be on sale for around 10% off for the holidays. Pretty easy to install and there's a lot of videos on YouTube with installation tips. If you get one, make sure you set your tire size and gear ratio in the settings. I have the 3.92 rear and 20" wheels, so fine-tuning the settings made a pretty significant difference.
In June, I added the K&N hi-flow filter # 33-2247 to the stock airbox and installed a muffler delete kit from Solo Performance https://ebay.us/M30nDV The Solo Performance kit is simple, just unbolt the flange in front of the muffler and cut the pipe about one inch behind the weld on the muffler. It's all stainless steel, uses the stock hangers and has band clamps welded to the parts. Sounds just as good as the $1,000 after-market exhaust systems.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, from one Jim to another (Back2gas), I agree with the other members that these new 5th gen Rams are fantastic. Great ride, best interiors, nice options. It will be quite an upgrade from 2004!

Users who are viewing this thread