5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Long Trip Report (AC/MDS/MPG)

Bowtechbob

Reaction score
This is a long one so if you don't want to read it all, at least scroll down and read about the MDS....that is my main concern. Took the RAM on its first long trip (900 miles round trip). Generally speaking I'm very pleased with the truck. Cargo capacity in the back is great. Was able to fit large dog crate and still had plenty of room for even my wife's stuff with out sacrificing any room in the driver's and passengers seats. Granted this was a short trip so not much luggage. This is an 8 hour drive for us one way. One thing my wife and I noticed was how great we felt after the drive in comparison to past trips in other vehicles. The truck is very comfortable to me. Not like in a "plush" kinda way, but more in an ergonomic way. I guess the truck just fits me and my wife. On to the more detailed report.

Mpg (computer) = 21.6 Average MPG non e-torque I'm generally a 8 mph over the limit kinda guy so top end cursing was 78 mph. Actually seemed to get better mpg in the hills of East TN than it did on the flat ground of OH. I'm guessing it's because the MDS was kicking more going down hills, and I wasn't pushing it going up the hills. Over all it ended up about the same both on the trip up and back. I was pleased with this gas mileage. It is a truck after all.

AC= I can't say that I think there's anything wrong with it, but it sure seems like i have to run it pretty hard. My truck is white thank God, and it was in the 80's most of the trip. I did run it in recirc almost the entire time and did notice the "door" opening every so often letting in some fresh air. I'm not sure if this is a malfunction, but honestly a little dose of outside air was kinda nice. It didn't seem to affect the performance or skew the temperature.

MDS (Eco Mode) = a problem. I really haven't paid this much attention since I got the truck in April. I could tell when it was going in and out of "4 banger mode" and it didn't bother me. I did go into settings and turn on the light so I can tell when it's in that mode. It seems to be indicating properly. BUT the major issue I'm having and hope yall can comment on is: When the truck is coasting (sometimes of course, and it seemed like down a grade) in Eco Mode, I get a pretty knarley low frequency "HUM" that increases in intensity until I would day it's more of a vibration. Then it goes away very quickly even if the truck is still in Eco Mode. If it stays in Eco mode it will repeat the above until the other cylinders light back up. WTF? I had this issue once or twice when I first got the truck but then never noticed it again UNTIL I had it serviced right before the trip. This is when they performed the recall associated with Air Bags or something. I forget exactly which one it was. Yall have any ideas on this? It'll go to the dealer eventually for this, but I'm just wondering if any others have experienced this. I assume it has something to do with those "vibration dampeners" that get in the way of the electronic running boards i read about in another thread.

Oh and I had the oil done at just over 2k. I was having lifter knock (or whatever) on cold starts. The oil change took care of that. I read somewhere here that the oil filter was to blame, and I now believe that to be true.

Sorry for the book but thought this info would be helpful for some.

tonyplants

Reaction score
This is a long one so if you don't want to read it all, at least scroll down and read about the MDS....that is my main concern. Took the RAM on its first long trip (900 miles round trip). Generally speaking I'm very pleased with the truck. Cargo capacity in the back is great. Was able to fit large dog crate and still had plenty of room for even my wife's stuff with out sacrificing any room in the driver's and passengers seats. Granted this was a short trip so not much luggage. This is an 8 hour drive for us one way. One thing my wife and I noticed was how great we felt after the drive in comparison to past trips in other vehicles. The truck is very comfortable to me. Not like in a "plush" kinda way, but more in an ergonomic way. I guess the truck just fits me and my wife. On to the more detailed report.

Mpg (computer) = 21.6 Average MPG non e-torque I'm generally a 8 mph over the limit kinda guy so top end cursing was 78 mph. Actually seemed to get better mpg in the hills of East TN than it did on the flat ground of OH. I'm guessing it's because the MDS was kicking more going down hills, and I wasn't pushing it going up the hills. Over all it ended up about the same both on the trip up and back. I was pleased with this gas mileage. It is a truck after all.

AC= I can't say that I think there's anything wrong with it, but it sure seems like i have to run it pretty hard. My truck is white thank God, and it was in the 80's most of the trip. I did run it in recirc almost the entire time and did notice the "door" opening every so often letting in some fresh air. I'm not sure if this is a malfunction, but honestly a little dose of outside air was kinda nice. It didn't seem to affect the performance or skew the temperature.

MDS (Eco Mode) = a problem. I really haven't paid this much attention since I got the truck in April. I could tell when it was going in and out of "4 banger mode" and it didn't bother me. I did go into settings and turn on the light so I can tell when it's in that mode. It seems to be indicating properly. BUT the major issue I'm having and hope yall can comment on is: When the truck is coasting (sometimes of course, and it seemed like down a grade) in Eco Mode, I get a pretty knarley low frequency "HUM" that increases in intensity until I would day it's more of a vibration. Then it goes away very quickly even if the truck is still in Eco Mode. If it stays in Eco mode it will repeat the above until the other cylinders light back up. WTF? I had this issue once or twice when I first got the truck but then never noticed it again UNTIL I had it serviced right before the trip. This is when they performed the recall associated with Air Bags or something. I forget exactly which one it was. Yall have any ideas on this? It'll go to the dealer eventually for this, but I'm just wondering if any others have experienced this. I assume it has something to do with those "vibration dampeners" that get in the way of the electronic running boards i read about in another thread.

Oh and I had the oil done at just over 2k. I was having lifter knock (or whatever) on cold starts. The oil change took care of that. I read somewhere here that the oil filter was to blame, and I now believe that to be true.

What gears do you have?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the truck is coasting (sometimes of course, and it seemed like down a grade) in Eco Mode, I get a pretty knarley low frequency "HUM" that increases in intensity until I would day it's more of a vibration.
I suspect this is the result of engine braking down a grade and I get it to some degree as well. Others with more knowledge may or may not confirm this.

Bowtechbob

Reaction score
I suspect this is the result of engine braking down a grade and I get it to some degree as well. Others with more knowledge may or may not confirm this.
Thanks for the reply. However I don't believe it's engine braking. I did notice engine breaking headed down some slopes, but the issue I'm referring to sure felt like more than just downshifting. Also no change in RPMs during this. Unless I don't understand engine breaking.

KSOTI

Reaction score

Thats a very common problem. Ironically its from the automatic noise cancellation system. There are TSB'S. Research them here then take it to the dealership.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Well just to throw a reply out there it might or might not be the noise cancelling. I thought that mine was the noise cancelling but it is not. It is the MDS making those noises you are describing, same exact noises in my truck. I just solved that by turning the MDS off. Only solution I could come to. Noises went away immediately when doing that.

cra1g

Reaction score
Well just to throw a reply out there it might or might not be the noise cancelling. I thought that mine was the noise cancelling but it is not. It is the MDS making those noises you are describing, same exact noises in my truck. I just solved that by turning the MDS off. Only solution I could come to. Noises went away immediately when doing that.

When the noise cancelling is working properly, MDS is undetectable. If it wasn't for the Eco light, I'd never know when it was active.

Fidomac

Reaction score

I have had similar results with my eco mode.....At first I could notice it a lot... when it shifted into eco mode it was definitely not as smooth..... now I hardly notice it ..... Either it's gotten smoother or I've gotten used to it

KSOTI

Reaction score
Alot of gear in the back seat will mess with the way a malfunctioning ANC operates. Especially if the speakers are blocked. The TSB actually describes this situation in the instructions. The OP stated his back seat was loaded up with luggage. Like Cra1g stated above if the ANC is functioning properly you shouldn't hear the exhaust drone MDS creates. It should be canceled by an equal but oposite tone coming from the rear speakers created by ANC. There is a ton of info on this forum discussing this situation. The TSB is available to be seen in the TSB section. Good read.....

Klute

Reaction score
"BUT the major issue I'm having and hope yall can comment on is: When the truck is coasting (sometimes of course, and it seemed like down a grade) in Eco Mode, I get a pretty knarley low frequency "HUM" that increases in intensity until I would day it's more of a vibration. "

Same for me. It did this one my 2011 Ram 1500, so I assume it 'normal' and I don't have a problem with it. To be honest, in the 2019, I could not detect the hum until I turned on the 'ECO' light on the dash.

I do find it odd that when coasting that the 'ECO' light does not come on and the MPG shows 99. I would have assumed that it was in 'ECO' mode while coasting.

I doubt that it is the engine braking as mine only brakes when in tow/haul mode and it sounds/feels much different than the MDS being on.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the noise cancelling is working properly, MDS is undetectable. If it wasn't for the Eco light, I'd never know when it was active.

Ditto. I have the Hemi w/e-Torque. My ECO light comes and goes, but I can never tell when it's active other than seeing that light.

It was the same for me with my 4th Gen, as well. An '09 with a Hemi. That one was a Sport, so it had the "sport-tuned" exhaust from the factory and I still could never hear any difference with MDS active.

And, yes, my hearing is darn near perfect.

Bowtechbob

Reaction score
Any Idea the TSB # ?
I finally found it. 08-033-19 This superseeds a couple of the previous ones as well. After reading it they explain the exact circumstances from when I have heard the noise. Since this post I took another short trip with all kinds of stuff in the back and it did it then too. Doesn't seem to do it when I don't have anything in the back. Seems like it would be hard for the service techs to recreate this just sitting still revving the motor with nothing in the back.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never seen an Eco light on my truck anywhere, and I coast down a lot of hills. Do all Rams have this and I just don't know where to look, or do I have it disabled, or something else?

Klute

Reaction score
I've never seen an Eco light on my truck anywhere, and I coast down a lot of hills. Do all Rams have this and I just don't know where to look, or do I have it disabled, or something else?
I think it is disabled when delivered. You have to go into settings and check the box to enable it. Sorry I don't remember which specific setting it is. After you turn it on it will display in green on the lower left corner of cluster.

Helmetface

Reaction score

This.

I would never know MDS was doing its thing if it weren't for the ECO light.

These posts of, "the only logical option is to disable MDS" are getting tiring.

I understand, that at the end of the day, it isn't for everyone. But the spew of misinformation...I digress.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it is disabled when delivered. You have to go into settings and check the box to enable it. Sorry I don't remember which specific setting it is. After you turn it on it will display in green on the lower left corner of cluster.
OK, mine is probably disabled then because I don't have any idea where it is or how to enable it. I wonder how much difference it makes for fuel economy? I can't imagine it would make much difference for me - either I'm climbing hills around here, where I need all the cylinders, or I'm coasting down them, in which case I'm not feeding any gasoline at all. Maybe if I was doing a long slog somewhere in the flatlands?

Users who are viewing this thread