5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First issue for my 2020

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing major just a PITA. I went to remote start my truck this morning before voting and it wouldn't start. I got in the truck and started it and almost immediately got a door open message...hmm, that's why it wouldn't remote start. So I get out and go to the passenger's side which is where the icon was indicating and both doors are closed. I go to open the rear door and the handle is loose like it had disconnected from the internal door linkage. I fear that even if nothing's broken they will have to pull the door panel which always worries me and often results in rattles.

What's weird is that I used that door on Sunday and didn't notice anything wrong so it must have happened when I closed it. I'm also pretty sure that this isn't just a 2020 issue as I don't think the door latches have changed.

I go in Thursday for the initial evaluation.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of that happening yet . Mine gets used a lot and never an issue . If it makes you feel better I had to have my door panel off when I had to get the rear door fixed after being side swiped and there’s no rattle or anything afterward .

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of that happening yet . Mine gets used a lot and never an issue . If it makes you feel better I had to have my door panel off when I had to get the rear door fixed after being side swiped and there’s no rattle or anything afterward .
That's good to know. I hardly ever use this door. Used it Sunday once, musta broke when II closed it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's good to know. I hardly ever use this door. Used it Sunday once, musta broke when II closed it.
Ditto. This is the first I've heard of it on this forum.
Let us know how it goes.

Rexx

Reaction score
My truck (which I purchased off the lot) actually had this issue.
First time I went in and looked at the truck, it was fine. We couldn’t come to an agreement on the sale price and I walked.
A couple weeks later the salesperson called me back (end of the month - February ) with a better offer and I went back in to look at the truck and it now had the exact issue with the tailgate that Bill-e is describing.
They fixed it before I bought/took possession of the truck and I haven’t had that issue come back in 8 months. So hopefully it’s an easy fix for you.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck (which I purchased off the lot) actually had this issue.
First time I went in and looked at the truck, it was fine. We couldn’t come to an agreement on the sale price and I walked.
A couple weeks later the salesperson called me back (end of the month - February ) with a better offer and I went back in to look at the truck and it now had the exact issue with the tailgate that Bill-e is describing.
They fixed it before I bought/took possession of the truck and I haven’t had that issue come back in 8 months. So hopefully it’s an easy fix for you.
Rexx, my issue is rear passenger door but I did have issues on the lot with the constant tailgate ajar message...Either I changed my habits or it resolved itself.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to provide this update. So I went to my dealer to have my broken door fixed under warranty and while I was in the waiting room the SA came over and asked me of the door broke before or after the truck was hit! My jaw dropped, I had no idea. She brought me to the truck and it looked like something hit the rear passenger door. The tech was just reinstalling the handle when I walked out there and he told me that the module inside the door was broken. I apologized and went back to the service desk and asked what I owed them and the tech, the same guy who has worked on my ecod's since 2015 said "nothin".

In my defense the truck was covered right up to the window with road salt and my attention was focused on the broken door and I never noticed the dent.

So yesterday I brought my truck to the detailer who is going to do my Kenzo this weekend and he had called his dent guy who was going to try to fix it. I was worried, and so was he, that there would not be any way to access the dent with the tools. Luckily he was able to roll down the window, slip in about a 1'x1' metal plate between the window and the frame and get his tools behind the brace which was right behind the dent. Took him 1.5 hours and he charged me 75 bucks. I was happy with the results. Now I'm awaiting a call from the dealer with an estimate on the lock repair.

Pics actually don't show how bad the dent was, It went through the body line and had two points in the "crease" where there was deeper indents from the ragged end of the broken branch.
2020dent1.jpg 2020dent2.jpg

And fixed. Again, 75 bucks, cant tell you how happy I am with the results.

2020dent5.jpg

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I finally got my door mechanism fixed. It took two trips, two disassembly's and parts ordered twice but in the end it all got fixed and my dealer only charged me for the initial visit plus the additional part which was installed during the second disassembly/visit.

Mudstone

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to provide this update. So I went to my dealer to have my broken door fixed under warranty and while I was in the waiting room the SA came over and asked me of the door broke before or after the truck was hit! My jaw dropped, I had no idea. She brought me to the truck and it looked like something hit the rear passenger door. The tech was just reinstalling the handle when I walked out there and he told me that the module inside the door was broken. I apologized and went back to the service desk and asked what I owed them and the tech, the same guy who has worked on my ecod's since 2015 said "nothin".

In my defense the truck was covered right up to the window with road salt and my attention was focused on the broken door and I never noticed the dent.

So yesterday I brought my truck to the detailer who is going to do my Kenzo this weekend and he had called his dent guy who was going to try to fix it. I was worried, and so was he, that there would not be any way to access the dent with the tools. Luckily he was able to roll down the window, slip in about a 1'x1' metal plate between the window and the frame and get his tools behind the brace which was right behind the dent. Took him 1.5 hours and he charged me 75 bucks. I was happy with the results. Now I'm awaiting a call from the dealer with an estimate on the lock repair.

Pics actually don't show how bad the dent was, It went through the body line and had two points in the "crease" where there was deeper indents from the ragged end of the broken branch.
View attachment 73850 View attachment 73851

And fixed. Again, 75 bucks, cant tell you how happy I am with the results.

View attachment 73852
This is why I park in Canada, when I'm going to the Walmart in Albany!

Jako

Reaction score
Me too.
My wife's 2017 Honda Civic and side door of house took hits from an irresponsible neighbor's dead tree. It happened while I was at my aunt's funeral. No stepping forward on her part to take responsibility. Asked her to contact her insurance, never received a response. Karma is taking care of her lack of responsibility and ownership of the damage.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The whole thing cost me under $400 and the truck looks perfect. I count myself lucky. I'll say it again, those Paintless-Dent guys are great!

Jako

Reaction score
Drove the truck to work next day after bought it and someboby put a dent on my door. :mad::mad::mad:
Wife's 2006 Honda Accord was 2 weeks and old rear ended do to the person in front making an illegal left and person in rear not stopping.
I'm assuming you don't know who left the dent?
BUT
I think you win the award for fastest "christening".

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although six of my last seven vehicles were passed on without any dents I have to confess it takes work. I avoid parking close to stores and such in public places and can always be found in the hinterland of any parking lot. It's become part of my exercise program. If forced, I take the end spots in a row and leave a door width distance from another vehicle or pavement marking. I've gotten complaints from passengers about "the walk," which means I'm usually not selected to be the person to drive. I don't park near trees if at all possible. I've endured some nasty comments and was even physically threatened once for being "outside the lines." The threat of life imprisonment isn't as powerful to people my age.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044177 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread