5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Impressions after towing, trailer sway, tire load index and rating

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I got my 27' Sunline TT out from storage recently, about 20 mile trip. This was my first time pulling trailer I've had for about 18 years, using a Ram. I originally pulled this trailer with a 2002 Chevy Express 1500, and more recently a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500. The hitch height was the setup for my Silverado, so the height was off a bit. Also I forgot the back of my truck probably had a couple of hundred pounds of tools. I really didn't like the trailer sway even though I probably never went over 55mph. When I got home, I took the time to reset the correct trailer height and hitch angle as per the WDH directions. I double checked my tongue weight and everything seemed correct. I took my trailer out ( emptied most of my tools) to get the truck/trailer weight to make sure I wasn't over on any of my GVW's. On the 40mile trip one way to the weigh station (average speed ~60mph), I was very disappointed in the trailer sway, even though everything should've been in line, nothing overloaded. I started thinking maybed my rear axle was overloaded. After getting 5 weigh-in's, I am happy with all of the numbers and I'm not close to any limits. So the couple of things I'm thinking about is replacing the hollow sway bar with a solid Hellwig (on order), but I don't think that's the hole problem. One thing I started wondering about was my tire load rating and Index numbers. I have attached a PDF with some useful info about this. I'm kind of miffed why Ram doesn't include a LT tire when the truck I ordered has the tow package. The Bridgestone Duellers are not LT tires, the are basically passenger tires for SUV's and light trucks. They have enough load carrying capacity rating for the GAWR but do not have the Load range that an LT tire which gives you more sidewall stability and higher tire pressure ranges. Between that and having coil springs, I don't feel these trucks are rock solid like my 2 other GM vehicles that used leaf springs. After my original trial and error with the loading and tongue weight with the Chevy Expressa van, the trailer has always been loaded the same way with rock solid handling. I could easily run at 75 to 80 mph and not worry about cross winds or breaking a semi air envelope and getting trailer sway. So I am going to look at some different tires, the Hellwig sway bar and play with my trailer loading. Hopefully I come up with the right combo. I am giving all my numbers below from the Cat weigh scales, these are not guesses or from a label. 5 weigh-ins on 2 different scales (3 on one and 2 on another). Readings go in 20 lb increments.
+- ~1% accuracy between the 2 scale Gross Weight readings.
+- ~0.5% repeatability between the Gross Weight readings on each scale.

Eaz-Lift WDH, 800# spring bars, dual sway control slide bars
Ram 1500 Bighorn with me, some tools and hitch, trailer disconnected: 5900 lbs
Ram & trailer with WDH hooked up, 4th link: Steering axle - 3240 lbs, Drive Axle - 3240 lbs , trailer axles - 4880 lbs
Ram & trailer with WDH disengaged, 1st link, chain loose: Steering axle - 3000 lbs, Drive Axle - 3600 lbs, trailer axles - 4720 lbs
Note: those trailer axle weights are correct, with WDH hooked, it distributes ~120-160 lbs to the trailer, confirmed on a separate weigh-in on a different scale.
27' Travel trailer (by different of gross combined weight - truck weight): 5500 lbs
Trailer static tongue weight (measure by Sherline Trailer Tongue Scale): 675 lbs
Gross combined weight: 11,400 lbs

Attachments

• 20191002_104556_resized (002).jpg
    20191002_104556_resized (002).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 199
  • 20191002_104630_resized (002).jpg
    20191002_104630_resized (002).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Tire Load Rating & Load Index.pdf
    97.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Keep us posted. Very interested if you get any improvement in the sway.

We have very similar trucks.

I towed a 29ft 2018 Alpha Wolf trailer that was about ~8k lbs. No sway to speak of, but a little porpoising over bumps which is making me consider a Gen-Y Torsion Flex hitch to compensate. That porpoising was the only complain on that tow.

I have the 18 inch wheels that came factory with Goodyear Wrangler tires.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Keep us posted. Very interested if you get any improvement in the sway.

We have very similar trucks.

I towed a 29ft 2018 Alpha Wolf trailer that was about ~8k lbs. No sway to speak of, but a little porpoising over bumps which is making me consider a Gen-Y Torsion Flex hitch to compensate. That porpoising was the only complain on that tow.

I have the 18 inch wheels that came factory with Goodyear Wrangler tires.
We had porpoising when we towed our 6500# TT w a 2500 over certain expansion joints or bridges. I think that some of that is to be expected with a bumper pull.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I tow with a 19 laramie crew cab 4x4, 6.4 bed, 18 in wheels stock, 5.7, and 3. 21 gears. The first time I hooked up my 30 ft travel trailer, the rear end sagged. I installed timbren suspension helpers for the rear end, had them on my 2014 ram with 3.21, 1500, it fixed my sagging issues. It sits level with a loaded trailer. No sway issues, but it was bumpy until I dialed the wdh in. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Su...MIi7ri1YaI5QIVh-DICh3iAwQqEAYYASABEgJ0e_D_BwE

Calman

Reaction score
I got my 27' Sunline TT out from storage recently, about 20 mile trip. This was my first time pulling trailer I've had for about 18 years, using a Ram. I originally pulled this trailer with a 2002 Chevy Express 1500, and more recently a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500. The hitch height was the setup for my Silverado, so the height was off a bit. Also I forgot the back of my truck probably had a couple of hundred pounds of tools. I really didn't like the trailer sway even though I probably never went over 55mph. When I got home, I took the time to reset the correct trailer height and hitch angle as per the WDH directions. I double checked my tongue weight and everything seemed correct. I took my trailer out ( emptied most of my tools) to get the truck/trailer weight to make sure I wasn't over on any of my GVW's. On the 40mile trip one way to the weigh station (average speed ~60mph), I was very disappointed in the trailer sway, even though everything should've been in line, nothing overloaded. I started thinking maybed my rear axle was overloaded. After getting 5 weigh-in's, I am happy with all of the numbers and I'm not close to any limits. So the couple of things I'm thinking about is replacing the hollow sway bar with a solid Hellwig (on order), but I don't think that's the hole problem. One thing I started wondering about was my tire load rating and Index numbers. I have attached a PDF with some useful info about this. I'm kind of miffed why Ram doesn't include a LT tire when the truck I ordered has the tow package. The Bridgestone Duellers are not LT tires, the are basically passenger tires for SUV's and light trucks. They have enough load carrying capacity rating for the GAWR but do not have the Load range that an LT tire which gives you more sidewall stability and higher tire pressure ranges. Between that and having coil springs, I don't feel these trucks are rock solid like my 2 other GM vehicles that used leaf springs. After my original trial and error with the loading and tongue weight with the Chevy Expressa van, the trailer has always been loaded the same way with rock solid handling. I could easily run at 75 to 80 mph and not worry about cross winds or breaking a semi air envelope and getting trailer sway. So I am going to look at some different tires, the Hellwig sway bar and play with my trailer loading. Hopefully I come up with the right combo. I am giving all my numbers below from the Cat weigh scales, these are not guesses or from a label. 5 weigh-ins on 2 different scales (3 on one and 2 on another). Readings go in 20 lb increments.
+- ~1% accuracy between the 2 scale Gross Weight readings.
+- ~0.5% repeatability between the Gross Weight readings on each scale.

Eaz-Lift WDH, 800# spring bars, dual sway control slide bars
Ram 1500 Bighorn with me, some tools and hitch, trailer disconnected: 5900 lbs
Ram & trailer with WDH hooked up, 4th link: Steering axle - 3240 lbs, Drive Axle - 3240 lbs , trailer axles - 4880 lbs
Ram & trailer with WDH disengaged, 1st link, chain loose: Steering axle - 3000 lbs, Drive Axle - 3600 lbs, trailer axles - 4720 lbs
Note: those trailer axle weights are correct, with WDH hooked, it distributes ~120-160 lbs to the trailer, confirmed on a separate weigh-in on a different scale.
27' Travel trailer (by different of gross combined weight - truck weight): 5500 lbs
Trailer static tongue weight (measure by Sherline Trailer Tongue Scale): 675 lbs
Gross combined weight: 11,400 lbs

What you wrote is exactly what I’m experiencing (my weigh in numbers are a little different, and my past truck was a Tundra with no sway issues) i have a 30ft Flagstaff travel trailer....

redneck

Reaction score
my truck with the air suspension & hellwig sway bar set to the stiffest setting still feels like it rides on a warm marshmellow in the back im towing a 16 ft enclosed trailer empty 2700# the back end is all over the place & rocks side to side. had the same trailer behind my gmc 1500 & no prob at all 80 mph all day.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
36 cold on the truck tandem axle enclosed trailer is 36 cold also

I run at 48 psi cold in my 22’s and air suspension in Aero mode with no complaints towing. Trailer tires are set to their max (65 psi)

CCF1EAE1-8FC4-49B5-BA00-E0C4B1DBB64F.jpeg

redneck

Reaction score
ok ill try some more air in the truck tires door sticker says 36 psi .tire max to set bead is 50 psi i have to stay at least 4 psi lower as the hot fl roads make the pressure climb quick& yes i was in aero mode

davefuze

Reaction score
P rated truck tires, typically 36-38PSI. Corresponding size or equivalent in E rated tires 51-60 PSI. Trailer tires 60-67 PSI.

nwpahunter

Reaction score
I went from a Tundra to a Ram and I definitely have more sway, same load and setup as before. I’m going to try some 1000hd bags and a little more air pressure in my tires.

Users who are viewing this thread