5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Hemi - Not sure what is normal or not

TreyBobo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn with the 5.7 Hemi about a month ago and loving it so far. Since it's been 15 years since I've had a V8, it feels night and day different from the little Camry I had been driving so I'm not sure what actions are normal and what are cause for concern.
Not being the original owner, I'm most concerned about the transmission being abused, so every little thing I hear or feel is concerning.
  1. When it is cold, it seems to shift from Park in Reverse or Drive a little rougher. The truck seems to lurch a bit going into gear. Don't notice it when the truck is warmed up
  2. Sometimes when driving, it seems to bog down a bit like it's in too high of a gear. Not sure if this is caused by the MDS kicking off or on
  3. When cold and rolling at idle, it seems to bump itself along instead of rolling smoothly. Might just be a crappy Oklahoma parking lot?
Thanks for looking at this. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but would like to see if others have seen these things. It's only just over 31k, so I can always take to the dealership if needed.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could be any of those, could also need a reflash. Ask the dealer.

Jeeper

Reaction score
unplug negative on battery for at least 15 min to "reset". Also use gear selector to eliminate MDS..keep in +8

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

19 North

Reaction score
Issue #1 are you letting the idle come down to normal before shifting into gear?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let her warmup alittle longer for #1 and possibly #3.

#2 that very well could be the MDS kicking in and out. You'll notice a slight 'thump' and the exhaust note will change whenever it engages / disengages.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
1) Sounds normal. These idle pretty fast initially.
2) That sounds like your ecu has you in geezer mode, where it takes a lot of pedal to get it to kickdown and/or accelerate. Try shutting things off, then power on without foot on the brake so all the dash lights come on, then slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and slowly release it. It seems to relearn things when you do that. It costs nothing to try.
3) Activate the ECO light if you haven't yet and see if it corresponds with the bump.

TreyBobo

Reaction score
Let her warmup alittle longer for #1 and possibly #3.

#2 that very well could be the MDS kicking in and out. You'll notice a slight 'thump' and the exhaust note will change whenever it engages / disengages.
That’s exactly what is happening. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread