5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First fuel fill up

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I need to fill up my eco-boost for the first time. Im new to diesel so I’m not sure how to go about this. So there’s renewable diesel, diesel #2. Then I’m reading about additives like diesel kleen and stanadyne. What do you guys recommend?? Should the additives be added at every fill up?? I’m in Southern California, lots of highway city street driving. I have a new 2021 ecodiesel. First time diesel owner so don’t wanna mess it up.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I need to fill up my eco-boost for the first time. Im new to diesel so I’m not sure how to go about this. So there’s renewable diesel, diesel #2. Then I’m reading about additives like diesel kleen and stanadyne. What do you guys recommend?? Should the additives be added at every fill up?? I’m in Southern California, lots of highway city street driving. I have a new 2021 ecodiesel. First time diesel owner so don’t wanna mess it up.
My opinion no additives, no biodiesel. Just #2 from reputable fuel stations that receive regular transports. Change fuel filter per OM schedule. Engine oil changes very important to use MS-12991with Magneti Marelli filters. Avoid short trips as much as possible. Welcome to the EcoDiesel family I have loved all of mine!!!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dump the Ecoboost and get a real truck - an Ecodiesel! 😉

Seriously, I’m 100% with AMS Guru except for the fact I’m a believer in using Stanadyne or Hot Shots for lubricity and anti-gelling in extreme cold - but to each their own. Also, I recommend monitoring regens via MX+ or similar so you can ensure you NEVER shut down or during a regen. IMHO all of this is called maintenance and failing to maintain a diesel isn’t like when I was younger…you could beat the heck out of them and they kept running. With the EPA crap on them, beating and failing to maintain will cost you dearly.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try and go to busy stations so you know you're getting good fuel.

Also take a second before each fill and make sure you're actually at the diesel pump. It sounds stupid you want to make sure you don't accidentally put gasoline in while not paying attention.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Dump the Ecoboost and get a real truck - an Ecodiesel! 😉

Seriously, I’m 100% with AMS Guru except for the fact I’m a believer in using Stanadyne or Hot Shots for lubricity and anti-gelling in extreme cold - but to each their own. Also, I recommend monitoring regens via MX+ or similar so you can ensure you NEVER shut down or during a regen. IMHO all of this is called maintenance and failing to maintain a diesel isn’t like when I was younger…you could beat the heck out of them and they kept running. With the EPA crap on them, beating and failing to maintain will cost you dearly.
I agree with additives in winter 100%. I just went with the fact he's in SoCal so never any cold.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always used Power Service products in the diesel I owned. Add a gray bottle every few fill ups to keep things lubricated. ULSD doesn't have a lot of lubricity.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!! Gonna go fill her up, 4.29 a gallon here in SoCal.

Attachments

• F56F7054-C5E0-42B3-BFC3-BC469AC7A340.jpeg
    F56F7054-C5E0-42B3-BFC3-BC469AC7A340.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26

JGRaider

Reaction score
I"ve posted this before..........I was in the fuel business for 25+ years. At a particular terminal, there's no difference in diesel fuels amongst the "brands", as all "brands" are the same unbranded diesel that is either shipped up the pipeline, or refined, then stored in huge bulk tanks. When loading the fuel at the terminal you designate which supplier you are buying from (Shell, Chevron, etc) but it all comes from the same bulk storage tank. MSDS sheets are readily available when loading, and every diesel fuel from that terminal or refinery is the same spec.

All ULSD fuels are lacking in lubricity and cetane nowadays, which is why I use and recommend additives. I personally use Hot Shot EDT or OptiLube. You may not notice increased mpg, etc, but lubricity is enhanced, and a really good thing.

JC4041

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!! Gonna go fill her up, 4.29 a gallon here in SoCal.

Where at in SoCal? I filled up @ 4.07 on base (Edwards) Friday, but in town it's crazy. I don't even want to see what it is in Lancaster/Palmdale.

1633292479702.png

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I can hear the clatter difference when I dont put in EDT and LX4 combo after my fuel fill-up. I have run them in my truck since new.

I have done mixed driving but alot of highway. In my 15 months or so, I have put 30,000 worry free miles on my truck - so never really worried about Regens, even with shorter trips because I always end up on highway sooner or later to make up for them.

myles

Reaction score
honestly I just treat all of my diesels like a normal car, just fill up with #2, no additives.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. Interstate-side-diesel
2. EDT from hotShot every fill up
3. DEF @ the pump (for convenience)
4. Oil / filters changed on time and keep records

that's all I plan on doing.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
doesnt ram car take care of the first 3=4 oil changes and maintenace
Ram Care is only available for Rams sold in Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread