5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Dodge (Ram) - oil change question

Texas

Reaction score
I've been driving Fords for most of my life - my favorite car will always be my 1989 Mustang with a Coyote swap......
but the engine just failed on my 2017 f150 EcoBoost - 6 month wait on parts and $15k to repair it if I'm willing to wait. fu ford.......

So i just bought my first Ram, a 1500 Lonestar crew cab with the 5.7 etorque.
Its a '23 I bought used from a Toyota dealer with only 6300 miles on it (so basically new).

Question about my first oil change - Toyota salesman said they did an oil change as part of prepping it to sell. I don't believe him, its a Mopar brand filter that looks likes its been on there for a while, not brand new. Its the original........

What is the part number for the filter - is Mopar the best brand of filter to use. I've always used Motorcraft on my fords. I'm getting conflicting part numbers when I ask google what filter I need.

I've read several posts with people complaining about how hard the filter is to reach, I looked under the truck and its right there above the axle - what am I missing. Is there something that makes it hard to get out...........

I'm a little anxious right now after my f150 died - is the Mopar extended warranty worth buying.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all the electronic modules in today’s modern vehicles, an extended warranty is the way to go IMO. Plus it brings peace of mind in the long run since I plan on having my truck 100k+. My warranty covers 7 years or 100k.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been driving Fords for most of my life - my favorite car will always be my 1989 Mustang with a Coyote swap......
but the engine just failed on my 2017 f150 EcoBoost - 6 month wait on parts and $15k to repair it if I'm willing to wait. fu ford.......

Its a '23 I bought used from a Toyota dealer with only 6300 miles on it (so basically new).

Question about my first oil change - Toyota salesman said they did an oil change as part of prepping it to sell. I don't believe him, its a Mopar brand filter that looks likes its been on there for a while, not brand new. Its the original........

What is the part number for the filter - is Mopar the best brand of filter to use. I've always used Motorcraft on my fords. I'm getting conflicting part numbers when I ask google what filter I need.

I've read several posts with people complaining about how hard the filter is to reach, I looked under the truck and its right there above the axle - what am I missing. Is there something that makes it hard to get out...........

I'm a little anxious right now after my f150 died - is the Mopar extended warranty worth buying.

The OEM filter is the MO-339, part #04892339AB. The filter is up above the steering rack. If you just pull the filter off, oil will get all over the rack. I used the Oil Udder XL with a 1' long piece of clear PVC hose attached to it. Just unscrew the filter into the Oil Udder, let the oil drain out, then pull it out, straight down. Not a drop of oil spilled.

It's not a Dodge. Ram separated from Dodge in 2009.

20220423_165419.jpg
20220423_165304.jpg
20220423_151847.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Filter isn't hard to reach, it's difficult to remove without making an oil mess over the steering rack. It's a big difference.

As far as filter to use. I have switched to the Mopar SRT filter for better filtration and stiffer bypass valve. It's a bit larger, and will only go in and come out from the front.

N7GZN

Reaction score
I am using the Napa Platinum filter (PFL47899), same as used on my 2011 Durango 5.7l.
In my local area, the newer style smaller filter for the 5th gen 5.7 is not readily available. The larger diameter oil filter fits fine. A messy oil filter change out is a smaller price to pay for higher hot idle oil pressure.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
The OEM filter is the MO-339, part #04892339AB. The filter is up above the steering rack. If you just pull the filter off, oil will get all over the rack. I used the Oil Udder XL with a 1' long piece of clear PVC hose attached to it. Just unscrew the filter into the Oil Udder, let the oil drain out, then pull it out, straight down. Not a drop of oil spilled.

It's not a Dodge. Ram separated from Dodge in 2009.
Is that Oil Udder the 4” or 2.75” filter diameter size? Very Nice!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The first oil change is the problem for some, others have heated up the Ram and said that eases the removal. I left the first one to the dealership and the tech said it was tough to get off. There are plenty of forum members who change their own oil, listen and try some of their advice until you find what works for you.

If you have the time and interest here is more info:

Users who are viewing this thread