5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First diesel

Ejraste

Reaction score
There’s a good price on a 2019 tradesman classic 1500 with the 3.0 eco diesel it’s listed at under $31,000. No bells and whistles and very basic model but is it worth it to purchase Over the 5.7 hemi?

Cal3600

Reaction score
It really depends on your planned usage and what you mean by "worth it." If you tow a lot and/or drive on the highway a lot - yes in my opinion. That's not to say you'll recoup the cost of the diesel but you'll experience better performance and fewer fill-ups. You'd have to put on some serious mileage to actually recoup the cost. This is my first diesel and I absolutely love it so far.

Ejraste

Reaction score
Yes, I just thought the 31k price was actually nice and well under MSRP, so I’m not really paying extra for the diesel at this point.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends if you want the classic model with the Gen2 diesel. The last gen had some issues with earlier years and is down on power and fuel economy vs the Gen3.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
If you’re going to be on the highway a lot with it that would be the best way to go, those engines do not enjoy city miles. Modern diesels are horrible in the city. They will plug up with carbon and have all kinds of Emissions related issues. Test drive it and then test a hemi. Also bare in mind the expensive cost of oil changes and fuel filter services versus a relatively inexpensive hemi oil change.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're penny pinching don't get the diesel. Routine maintenance is more expensive even if you do it yourself. After having a Gen 2 and now a Gen 3, I like the Gen 3 better and think that the new EGR scheme in the Gen3 is going to pay off because of less soot through the engine.

If you're like most people that tow and only tow for a few hours a half dozen times a year you won't be taking full advantage of the diesel so IMO towing should not be a big consideration but if you're going to tow it's best to get the 3.92 gearing.

You hear a lot about city vs hwy driving with the EcoD and if you only drive in Boston then that's a worry but if you're like many of us who live in suburbia and rural America where everything is a drive and the engine will handle that just fine. The comparison is really city vs hwy vs non-hwy.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gen 2 diesel is a big no for me. I'd go Hemi without thinking about it.

Gen 3 diesel intrigued me enough to make me try it, but depending on how things go this might be my last diesel. The $$$$ required is too rich for my blood.

Uga40

Reaction score
Gen 2 diesel is a big no for me. I'd go Hemi without thinking about it.

Gen 3 diesel intrigued me enough to make me try it, but depending on how things go this might be my last diesel. The $$$$ required is too rich for my blood

Didn't you lease it WXman?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't you lease it WXman?

I did, but there's very little real world difference. The $5k initial cost still bit me, the service intervals that cost 4-5X the money still bite me, and the fear of a CP4 injection pump failure still haunts me. And I still get the occasional message on the dash that my truck won't restart until I fill the DEF tank again. I still make all the same sacrifices to have this diesel in my driveway.

That Ford 7.3L gas engine is looking nicer all the time. Big power, respectable mileage, no DPF, no direct injection, no overhead cams. Just a stone age simple engine that'll go forever on very little money.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did, but there's very little real world difference. The $5k initial cost still bit me, the service intervals that cost 4-5X the money still bite me, and the fear of a CP4 injection pump failure still haunts me. And I still get the occasional message on the dash that my truck won't restart until I fill the DEF tank again. I still make all the same sacrifices to have this diesel in my driveway.

That Ford 7.3L gas engine is looking nicer all the time. Big power, respectable mileage, no DPF, no direct injection, no overhead cams. Just a stone age simple engine that'll go forever on very little money.
I'm curious if ram will step up their game with the gassers in the refresh of the HD trucks. The 6.4 engine is good, but it's falling behind.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious if ram will step up their game with the gassers in the refresh of the HD trucks. The 6.4 engine is good, but it's falling behind.

Sure the 6.4 is falling a little short on power numbers compared to the new big gassers from GM (6.6) and Ford (7.3) but Keep in mind they took them over 20 years to replace their existing engines (Ford 6.8 and GM 6.0)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Me too. Watching the TFL towing videos with the 6.4 Hemi makes me cringe. It can't even maintain speed. I think in both tests they fell to around 30 MPH in 2nd gear before the top of the hill. The Ford 7.3 walked up the hill like there wasn't a trailer. Ram desperately needs a new gas engine. Lots of guys are going back to gas even for fleets or personal use due to the cost of trucks in general and the cost of the diesel option these days.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too. Watching the TFL towing videos with the 6.4 Hemi makes me cringe. It can't even maintain speed. I think in both tests they fell to around 30 MPH in 2nd gear before the top of the hill. The Ford 7.3 walked up the hill like there wasn't a trailer. Ram desperately needs a new gas engine. Lots of guys are going back to gas even for fleets or personal use due to the cost of trucks in general and the cost of the diesel option these days.
I think that ford also had a 4.30 rear end or something crazy. But yeah, ram needs to step it up. The Cummins is awesome but they still need a HD gasser engine to stay in the game. The Ford/GM 10 speed is also a huge advantage.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got a 2020 6.4L, pulls a 10k lb Horse Trailer no problem; granted we don't tow all that much, but we need the capability of a Gas to pull about 12k lbs here and there but don't need the maintenance and fuel cost of a diesel in a HD platform. Not to mention, the Over $9k option for that diesel was not worth it for our farm. On top of that, the 6.4L engine platform isn't that old and the HD setup wasn't used until 2014. That being said, I went with a EcoDiesel on my personal vehicle order because I'd love to test it out, plus being a lease I get instant fuel benefits. As a side note too, if you get a '21 Limited, the option is only $3,200, not $4,995 like the other trims or for the '20's. Follow your channel btw, love it; great work. Love seeing all the Ram haters on there who want you with that gladiator back.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that ford also had a 4.30 rear end or something crazy. But yeah, ram needs to step it up. The Cummins is awesome but they still need a HD gasser engine to stay in the game. The Ford/GM 10 speed is also a huge advantage.
Yeah you can option a 4.10 on the 6.4L HD's; pretty close to that.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either way it's good for the consumer. If ram starts falling behind they will be forced to step their game up. In the end we all win.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Is the 7.3 available in a half-ton?

Users who are viewing this thread