5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First big issue

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope everyone is well. Took my loaded 2019 CC ORG with appearance package to get the oil change and I have a leaking exhaust manifold. The service manager said 9 out of 10 1500s have this issue. I have 59k miles. Going back in two weeks to see if it’s a major issue or not but they will replace it regardless over several days. I’m 500 miles from being outside the warranty.

Not impressed. Having owned a lot of European cars/trucks I would expect that but even my Land Rovers didn’t blow gaskets until 70k.

Anyone else? Should I expect this to happen in another 60k? Parts could take weeks to months before they show up. I did notice the MPG drop significantly the last month but chalked it up to winter weather and 4wd

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is the manifold leaking at the gasket or is it cracked? There have been instances of both, with the leak at the gasket caused by broken manifold bolts.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
They are unsure if it’s a leak or crack. This will be determined in the next appointment in two weeks (earliest I could get). The parts will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to get.

I suppose fellow owners that I’m disappointed and dismayed. Not even 60k miles on a $62k truck should not incur this kind of issue especially if it’s common place.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are unsure if it’s a leak or crack. This will be determined in the next appointment in two weeks (earliest I could get). The parts will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to get.

I suppose fellow owners that I’m disappointed and dismayed. Not even 60k miles on a $62k truck should not incur this kind of issue especially if it’s common place.

Order some shorty headers and see if they will install them instead of waiting for manifolds...assuming it is a cracked manifold.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It's an exhaust piece, it's sucks, but not terrible in the things that can go wrong with any vehicle these days. A head gasket is usually the end of life for most motors, whereas a cracked manifold is no big deal.

I owned (and still own) mostly European vehicles my whole life along with American trucks. European vehicles don't age particularly well, hence their horrendous resale value after 5 years. When it comes to cost to own and residual values, that truck is one of the best things you can have.

However, things sometimes happen, and not to let RAM off the hook, the exhaust manifold is a well known issue. Luckily it still won't cost you a dime to fix, and the repair will come with it's own warranty, which is good since your powertrain warranty is about to end.

Users who are viewing this thread