5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Accessories for a New Truck Owner

MateoQueFeo

Reaction score
Waiting on my ordered truck to arrive - will be my first truck. Primary usage will be to tow a camper trailer for family getaways.

What are some first accessories to get?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! What did you order? Listing what options are on your truck and what type of trailer will help people give more relevant suggestions.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, congrats. Without knowing what you’re hauling, I’d say rear helper air bags and hellwig would be two for me if I was towing with it.

MateoQueFeo

Reaction score
Hellwig sway bar for sure.
I've seen lots of suggestions for this here and elsewhere - can someone enlighten me on this, please?
What is it?
What does it do? - is it for more safety or control; does it increase payload or tow-capacity?
^ Are these even the right questions? ^
Soft tonneau Cover - to retain payload for towing
I'll definitely be lookint at tonneaus (I think I'll prefer locking) - why soft as opposed to hard?
Weight Distribution hitch - a good antisway type
Will look into this.

Yangster

Reaction score
Husky Mudflaps - get the opened/damaged box option on Amazon and save some $.

Truckcovers USA - retractible locking tonneau cover. The retracting box is only 8x8", the smallest one out there. The only negative is it's expensive, but so is the truck.

Bedrug

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen lots of suggestions for this here and elsewhere - can someone enlighten me on this, please?
What is it?
What does it do? - is it for more safety or control; does it increase payload or tow-capacity?
^ Are these even the right questions? ^

I'll definitely be lookint at tonneaus (I think I'll prefer locking) - why soft as opposed to hard?

Will look into this.
The Hellwig stiffens up the rear suspension, so truck feels much more planted in all turns vs that feeling of "body roll". With the soft-ish coil spring rear suspension it makes a very nice upgrade in stability, especially when towing. Yes it's more for safety and control, and does not at all increase payload.

FYI Nothing can increase the payload of a vehicle, except one thing...removing something from it. If you plan to haul your family, pets, bikes, luggage, etc in your truck while towing you may find that you are seriously close to being, or alread overloaded depending on trailer tongue weight. Pay close attention to this...because if you intend to tow a mid to large trailer, or toyhauler, or one with slideouts then payload will be an issue.

I said soft tonneau just because it weighs less (eating up less payload)

Weight Distribution Hitch is required for any trailer over 5K pounds, but STRONGLY suggested if you are even close to that number. Again...your family's safety is the priority.

Seems you may be new to towing RV's. There is a ton of great information and really helpful people on this forum. Check out the towing section.

Users who are viewing this thread