5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First 48 Hour Impressions

Maxx102

Reaction score
Well I have owned my new Ram for over 48 hours now and I am loving this new truck.

I find it pretty neat that you can change the "themes" on the radio which also corresponds to changes on the instrument panel. I set mine to "Lonestar Black". There are two reds (Rebel and Standard), two yellows (Longhorns), and one blue (Limited). I doubt there is a way to modify the theme's as I would like to see a green version, but that's just me.

Driving is very pleasurable, the larger wheels seem to make a difference compared to my old 18" wheel F-150. The bumps in the road seem to be smoother.

I didn't have a "tour" of the system until today by the sales person so one thing I learned on my own over the weekend was the emergency automatic reverse braking.....nice safety feature when you are expecting it, however I was not. Scared the hell out of me.....I was backing into a space and was watching the rearview camera backing up so very slowly, when it suddenly braked on me....not sure if it was a curb, the slight hill behind the curb, or if an ant was walking by, but it stopped the truck. After taking a moment to clear my head, say a few colorful word phrases, self-check my bladder and bowel functions to ensure nothing happened, I finished parking. I have since been shown how to turn that feature off.....which I did.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! I turned off the auto brake feature. Like you, it scared the heck out of me and is too sensitive. I just leave the parking sensors on.

sep1006

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! I turned off the auto brake feature. Like you, it scared the heck out of me and is too sensitive. I just leave the parking sensors on.

Turned mine off as well. Way too sensitive for me.

RammyShand

Reaction score
Congrats! I only turn mine off when backing into my driveway. Otherwise, it stays ON. An invaluable piece of tech.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well I have owned my new Ram for over 48 hours now and I am loving this new truck.

I find it pretty neat that you can change the "themes" on the radio which also corresponds to changes on the instrument panel. I set mine to "Lonestar Black". There are two reds (Rebel and Standard), two yellows (Longhorns), and one blue (Limited). I doubt there is a way to modify the theme's as I would like to see a green version, but that's just me.

Driving is very pleasurable, the larger wheels seem to make a difference compared to my old 18" wheel F-150. The bumps in the road seem to be smoother.

I didn't have a "tour" of the system until today by the sales person so one thing I learned on my own over the weekend was the emergency automatic reverse braking.....nice safety feature when you are expecting it, however I was not. Scared the hell out of me.....I was backing into a space and was watching the rearview camera backing up so very slowly, when it suddenly braked on me....not sure if it was a curb, the slight hill behind the curb, or if an ant was walking by, but it stopped the truck. After taking a moment to clear my head, say a few colorful word phrases, self-check my bladder and bowel functions to ensure nothing happened, I finished parking. I have since been shown how to turn that feature off.....which I did.
Congrats.
Yeah, curbs will set it off if you don’t back up slowy. Inclines also seem to affect it more than flat stretches.

Cheers,

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new truck! After the truck making me think I'd backed into something twice I turned that feature off as well

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! Even though those sensors can be a PITA they are sometimes great to have.

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
I leave my sensors on but turned the rear braking off. It kept slamming the brakes with nothing there at all. I feel like random dust in the air sets it off its so sensitive lol

FlushD

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck. I came from an F150 with 20” wheels and the same size tires as my Ram. There is no comparison in ride quality. The Ram is far smoother and more stable.

I also encountered a scare with the reverse braking. I had the trash cans withtailgate down backing up to the end of the driveway when the truck slammed on the brakes. Like others have said, it seems to be far too sensitive.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck. I came from an F150 with 20” wheels and the same size tires as my Ram. There is no comparison in ride quality. The Ram is far smoother and more stable.

I also encountered a scare with the reverse braking. I had the trash cans withtailgate down backing up to the end of the driveway when the truck slammed on the brakes. Like others have said, it seems to be far too sensitive.
FYI in case you were not aware, the sensitivity can be adjusted in the UConnect settings. Not 100% perfect but it greatly helps to put it in the least sensitive setting.

On Edit: I misspoke. Looks like this can only be adjusted for the forward brake collision function. For reversing it's all or none (It's been a while since I've changed those settings).

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
Auto braking scared the hell out of me the first couple of times as well. If you back down a steep driveway it will auto brake as well, need to turn it off in order to back into the street. If I am backing up to a curb, watching the rear camera, as soon as it starts beeping I turn it off so I can back over the curb. It's awesome if you are backing up to a wall, but is a nuisance when you want to back over an obstacle.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Auto braking scared the hell out of me the first couple of times as well. If you back down a steep driveway it will auto brake as well, need to turn it off in order to back into the street. If I am backing up to a curb, watching the rear camera, as soon as it starts beeping I turn it off so I can back over the curb. It's awesome if you are backing up to a wall, but is a nuisance when you want to back over an obstacle.
Yeah, and the faster you reverse the worse it will be. I can back up my incline driveway w/o issues if I go moderately slow. If I go faster it will brake every time, but even slow, if I over correct and get too close to the curb, it will still brake.

Users who are viewing this thread