5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Truck is Entering "Econ" Mode.

cruz-in

Reaction score
When I first got the truck, I enabled the indicate economy mode in the operating system. For the first 500 miles, I never saw the Econ light come on. Just today it came on and then began to come on often.. When it was on, I notices a very slight vibration from the cylinder deactivation.

Do you think cylinder deactivation mode is deactivated during break-in?

Seems to make sense it would be.

If so, it may help to explain folks having low MPG numbers when they first get their trucks.

The instantaneous MPG reading went up about 3 or 4 MPGs when the econ light was on.

On www.motor1.com I read this in reference to etorque and cylinder deactivation

"On the V8, it also allows the engine to use its fuel-saving cylinder deactivation mode more frequently by balancing out spikes in engine loading that would otherwise kick the V8 back into eight-cylinder operation. "

I did not know the etorque also helped hold cylinder deactivation longer...

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never heard or read anything stating it doesn't come on right when the car is new, lower milage, "break in," etc. It should work instantly.

Horkn

Reaction score
What are you getting but for mpg, after the econ mode is kicking in.?

I read that the MDS is not activated until it had some miles on it. I know others on here have said that it should be active right away, but I believe it was on motor trend or other reputable motor journalist where I saw/ read/ heard it. I know it wasn't kicking in on on my short test drive of an etorque hemi rebel. I would think that on a no mile engine that disabling cylinders would not do anything good to an engine that's breaking in.

cruz-in

Reaction score
Hi,

My 'econ" mode just started kicking in yesterday. As I get some miles on it, I will report if there is any noticeable improvement in mileage.

While I have never read this, it makes good sense that cylinder deactivation would not kick in till the engine has gone thru a break in period.

Also the dashboard indication of "econ" mode was turned off when we picked up our vehicle. I had to go in to the setup to turn on the display of "eccon" mode. I did this the first night we had the truck and now (500 miles later) was the first time I have seen it turn on.

cruz-in

Reaction score
Just took a drive into town. Now that it is going into cylinder deactivation, I am really surprised how much the truck stays in "eco" mode. It even stays in "Eco" during very mild acceleration and slight grades. Nice fuel economy boost.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple of things about the newer MDS feature:

1. When selected the engine will not enter the MDS mode until 2 minutes after each start or restart.

2. In very low temperatures the MDS may not be active until the engine computer senses the engines ability to meet emissions requirements on just four cylinders. In general and to a certain degree, MDS activation is temperature dependent.

3. Not really specific to the MDS, but the 8-speed transmission shift algorithm also has some effect on MDS based on transmission fluid temperature.

4. In my experience it is typical for the MDS to become progressively active as mileage builds on the motor. This is especially more noticeable with the higher axle ratios (3.21). In my case I rarely saw the ECO illuminated for the first 600 miles or so. Now it's pretty easy to initiate just by me letting up on the throttle a little bit.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007011 miles.

Zinger

Reaction score
I finally took a minute and enabled the eco light. I was at 180 miles on the odo, and over the next 20 my eco dash light lit up a bunch of times. So I would say there is no restraint on initial mileage keeping eco mode from working. Now with that said, I'm averaging 13.9 MPG on the initial tank!

cruz-in

Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I have owned that the cylinder deactivation stays on during very mild accel and slight grades.

The literature says this is one advantage of the etorque,: etorque engages and allows the cylinder deactivation to stay engaged a bit longer.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First activation I noticed was after 200miles. After 500miles much more, 800miles all the time.

slimchance

Reaction score
my truck had 27 miles on the od when i picked it up last week ... going home the ECO lite was on about half the time ... this continues to hold true ... first tank of gas calculated to 18.2 .. don't think the MDS is not active during break in based on this truck

MFP4073

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn. I have also noticed a vibration when the engine switches to Econ mode. Curious to see if anyone has experienced/ fixed this?

U

User_34235

I looked through the owners manual and could not find this, but many of you mentioned turning on the eco mode.....I have 5K on my truck and rarely see this lit up so how do you "turn on" this if you do at all?
Thanks in advance

Conundrum

Reaction score
I looked through the owners manual and could not find this, but many of you mentioned turning on the eco mode.....I have 5K on my truck and rarely see this lit up so how do you "turn on" this if you do at all?
Thanks in advance
Should be a setting on the stereo.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks in advance

As mentioned by Conundrum, you can turn on the Eco light in your stereo Unconnect screen in the options menu.

Also, another thing I recommend you turn on is the Current Gear option, which will display on your gauge binnacle (next to the PDRN) what gear your transmission is currently in. You can select that through the gauge option screen menu using your steering button controls.

U

User_34235

As mentioned by Conundrum, you can turn on the Eco light in your stereo Unconnect screen in the options menu.

Also, another thing I recommend you turn on is the Current Gear option, which will display on your gauge binnacle (next to the PDRN) what gear your transmission is currently in. You can select that through the gauge option screen menu using your steering button controls.
Thanks all for the fast response. I will get into the settings today

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I have owned that the cylinder deactivation stays on during very mild accel and slight grades.

The literature says this is one advantage of the etorque,: etorque engages and allows the cylinder deactivation to stay engaged a bit longer.
I don't have eTorque and my ECO mode stays on during mild acceleration and on some hills too.

Users who are viewing this thread