5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY found my truck's towing and payload capacities!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only payload info....
Yeah, I see it. Towing is never there. I thought you were saying it didn't mention payload.

Edit: And for what it's worth, you don't even need to know your max towing capacity. You'll (almost) always hit payload capacity (due to the tongue weight) before you hit pulling capacity.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I see it. Towing is never there. I thought you were saying it didn't mention payload.

Edit: And for what it's worth, you don't even need to know your max towing capacity. You'll (almost) always hit payload capacity (due to the tongue weight) before you hit pulling capacity.
Well, usually...

614476296a9f0d2b062f30551f636968.jpg

😄

Seriously tho, if you ever load up and want to see the numbers, you can have 4100lbs on the rear axle, 7100lbs on the whole truck, and 17k lbs GCW for a V8 3.92. The sticker only does some of the math for you.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maximum towing is mainly based on engine and rear differential gears. Like @Eighty said, you're almost always going to hit your payload limit on a 1500 truck before you hit towing capacity.

Per your sticker, the GVWR is 7100 and your curb weight is 7100-1422 = 5678. GCWR is 17000-5678, so max towing is 11,322 pounds. You'll almost always hit your payload of 1422 - (your weight + whatever else you've put in the truck except gas) before you hit that towing number.

Great discussion on towing and numbers, even if you're not focusing on a camper: So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

Users who are viewing this thread