5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally 12.1 radio upgrade is here!!!

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would NOT be under your factory warranty, Infotainment would warranty those parts they provide though. The firmware version will typically be the latest . They from my understanding have access to download the updates and install the updates prior to shipping. As far as OTA updates in the future I would not expect that to continue.

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
It would NOT be under your factory warranty, Infotainment would warranty those parts they provide though. The firmware version will typically be the latest . They from my understanding have access to download the updates and install the updates prior to shipping. As far as OTA updates in the future I would not expect that to continue.

I wonder what it would have for Navigation map version. My truck was built this spring and my maps are from fourth quarter of 2017 and my dealer is stating that is the newest.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder what it would have for Navigation map version. My truck was built this spring and my maps are from fourth quarter of 2017 and my dealer is stating that is the newest.
It will have the same. Honestly I just bought map update from my hellcat and that was the exact same. FCA IS TERRIBLE about map versions. They will not have nay later or newer map version than what is in the truck currently

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why doesn't FCA offer this upgrade? Surely they could do this just as easily as Infotainment. :mad:
I think you can answer that if you wanted to. Look at any brand. Ford doesn't offer it. Chevy? Does ANY brand do it? No because they want you to buy a truck and they want you to buy the options because they make money on the trim levels and options. Ford loves the platinum truck sales just as much as FCA loves the limited. Chevy the High country because they are their money makers. Also it becomes very hard for warranty and support because they would have to update anything in the build reference of your truck to point to the upgrade.

Take a look at this from a magazine and this will tell you why RAM spent so much on the new RAM to make it so nice inside and luxurious. RAM Wants what ford has and is gaining everyday with 30% sales increase last quarter.

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas has estimated that the F-Series, which includes F-150 and Super Duty trucks and remains the best-selling lineup in America, is responsible for 90% of the automaker’s global profits. Jonas recently said the F-150 alone may be worth more than the whole company amid a slump in Ford shares."

90% !!!!! Thats insane. So if you want a fancy screen they rather you take the hit and buy a new truck than buy a part.

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
It will have the same. Honestly I just bought map update from my hellcat and that was the exact same. FCA IS TERRIBLE about map versions. They will not have nay later or newer map version than what is in the truck currently

Where did you even locate it? I do not even see any map options for my 2019 RAM 1500.

Since they label them by quarter, you would think they would be released 4 times a year. My dealer tried saying they only release them once a year but could not explain why there was no release in 2018. I have seen other people reference a database file for Q2 of 2017, so I know they had at least two versions in 2017 but why not 2019 or 2018 even?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have not released any that’s why it’s not available for the 19 ram. They don’t release them quarterly. They just label it that way.. I just bought them but mine was a 16 and didn’t ship with 17 had 15 on it

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
They have not released any that’s why it’s not available for the 19 ram. They don’t release them quarterly. They just label it that way.. I just bought them but mine was a 16 and didn’t ship with 17 had 15 on it

Why would there have been (at least) two releases in 2017 and none since? How have you been able to confirm there has been no release in 2018 or 2019?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would there have been (at least) two releases in 2017 and none since? How have you been able to confirm there has been no release in 2018 or 2019?
I have seen on this forum people post their very recent build date truck and still has the same maps. Now that some are getting 2020 trucks they will hopefully post what their software version and map version is. FCA doesn't sell map updates for any Panasonic unit.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I think you can answer that if you wanted to. Look at any brand. Ford doesn't offer it. Chevy? Does ANY brand do it? No because they want you to buy a truck and they want you to buy the options because they make money on the trim levels and options. Ford loves the platinum truck sales just as much as FCA loves the limited. Chevy the High country because they are their money makers. Also it becomes very hard for warranty and support because they would have to update anything in the build reference of your truck to point to the upgrade.

Take a look at this from a magazine and this will tell you why RAM spent so much on the new RAM to make it so nice inside and luxurious. RAM Wants what ford has and is gaining everyday with 30% sales increase last quarter.

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas has estimated that the F-Series, which includes F-150 and Super Duty trucks and remains the best-selling lineup in America, is responsible for 90% of the automaker’s global profits. Jonas recently said the F-150 alone may be worth more than the whole company amid a slump in Ford shares."

90% !!!!! Thats insane. So if you want a fancy screen they rather you take the hit and buy a new truck than buy a part.
Honda does for 5yrs just did my free nav update....couldn't believe they offered this....

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well whatever she wants lol I’m sure you will provide it. :)

WheelerNation

Reaction score
Is this an equivalent to the OEM package? As in same operating system and NAV software?
As far as I can tell everything is OEM and similar to that of the 8.4 OS. Here is a picture of the NAV information not sure if this helps or not. With the holiday weekend I haven't had much time to play around with all the features and settings just yet.

Attachments

• radio 5.jpg
    radio 5.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 139

z3d1zd3d

Reaction score
I have seen on this forum people post their very recent build date truck and still has the same maps. Now that some are getting 2020 trucks they will hopefully post what their software version and map version is. FCA doesn't sell map updates for any Panasonic unit.

My new 2020 Limited came with Q4 2017 maps.

Attachments

• 20191105_104159.jpg
    20191105_104159.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 71

z3d1zd3d

Reaction score
What the hell ?!?! A 2020 sold with Nav mapping from year end 2017, that absurd to be that far behind.
Yeah, the built in nav is essentially useless to me. Especially since it doesn't do online searching. I'm just hoping an update finally allows android auto fullscreen on the 12 inch radio soon.

Tjarget

Reaction score
I got my 12" upgrade a couple weeks ago and love it. Having a minor issue with climate control, but the company is working with me to figure it out. Everything else works great. So far as I can tell, all the software is current. Ill attach some photos and maybe some of you with factory versions can tell me if I'm right about that. Quite an expensive upgrade though. I had a 2016 1500 EcoDiesel before this and had many issues with it, including the whole FCA class action and emissions update problems. I got 3k from FCA in the settlement, so I let them pay for most of this upgrade. I bought my truck three months ago and let the salesman convince me that car play would suffice. Car play is fine for what it is. I hated having to plug in every time. I also had no navigation in remote locations. Onboard NAV is much better for me, and so far i'm really happy with it. The larger screen is beautiful. Sorry for the bad pics, I was facing the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5845.jpg
    IMG_5845.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

PorBoy

Reaction score
So are you selling the original radio to offset some more of this cost ?

PorBoy

Reaction score
Definitely can not hurt to post a W.T.S ad and see if you can do somewhat better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/