5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fill er up! Can’t quite seem to pump gas

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with being able to fill up. Four gas stations deep, and I have only been able to put in max $8. And that was after backing the spigot out and back in etc trying to get it to pump correctly. It gurgles and shoots out onto the ground.
not has always been testy and you had to hold your tongue just right, but never not allowed me to pump gas.
I short video, but…can’t post here.
Dealership stated I need to insert a funnel to release pressure inside the tank. The one under the front seat.
that sounds like a temp fix, one that is a symbol of a larger problem in design.
love this truck, but do not wish to die a first death due to a compressed gas tank explosion. (Drama, I know, but geez this is skeezy)

Attachments

• CEFCE1D3-6F89-4E2C-8871-A22FA8FFF875.png
    CEFCE1D3-6F89-4E2C-8871-A22FA8FFF875.png
    515.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 0AD31A8D-348A-4396-B8D9-BBE87E26BFFE.png
    0AD31A8D-348A-4396-B8D9-BBE87E26BFFE.png
    546.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 366C873D-7FAE-4660-86DB-CE33468E83C9.png
    366C873D-7FAE-4660-86DB-CE33468E83C9.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 54

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to get the fill tube replaced on mine. There is a known problem with a few of them
Mine was the tank fill tube, between the tank and the fuel door. More accurately I think it was the vent off that tube. I could only fill at slowest possible speed. If I just squeezed the handle I would get .02gal (instant shut off). This was at every pump. New tube fixed it

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine fixed under warranty (and extended warranty) for the same issue.

The three main possibilities are:

1. Filler neck. That will be the dealership's first try. There was a newer design since my truck had been built (12/2018) so they replaced it and sent me on my way. That worked for the better part of a year.

2. Rollover valve at the top of the gas tank (as Richard320 mentioned above). It is non-replaceable so you need a new tank if that's the case. Note: the dealership will order the tank based on your VIN so if you've swapped it out (e.g. upgraded to the 33 gallon tank) you might have an issue if the dealership isn't willing to stray from your VIN.

3. Evaporator system. This one is the least common but I have read of this being the issue for some. Clogged/plugged vent lines or a saturated charcoal canister will increase pressure buildup during fueling and shut the pump off early. This could be a mechanical issue or self-induced. If you routinely "top off" your tank then it is less likely to be a failure on the manufacturer and more on the part of the operator. Regardless, the dealership can't prove that so will fix your filling issue under warranty (if you still are within the warranty period).

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Last month my Dealership took in my Ram and swapped out the entire "Gas system" New tank ,pump, neck and mouth spout, with "actuators" . I took my Truck in @7am and the following day in the evening it was ready. Not a bug to report. I told my Dealer I went to 4 different pumps and tried to fill my tank and it always cut off in a few seconds. FCA said to swap out everything. My Service Agent told me they have seen several 2021's they already swapped out.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the issues I've read about were on 2019 models. I don't like hearing that 2021's still have this issue.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the issues I've read about were on 2019 models. I don't like hearing that 2021's still have this issue.
It doesn't seem as severe some others, but I have to insert the pump juuuuuust right to get it to fill without stopping every few seconds.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why have the nozzle only half way in in the beginning? because that is not going to work.
Just filled up yesterday, at my regular pump. I was alone at the pumps so she was hot, about 10 gallons per minute what was too much for the truck.
I set the lever back one click and was good to go.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
There is a TSB published, my truck [2020] periodically does the same. I'll try and find the number. but everyone else above is also correct

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread