5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiat Chrysler recalls 182K Ram pickups; power steering can fail

2wd

Reaction score
Just confirmed I'm part of the recall via checking mopar.com (after registering my VIN there).

Grayfuji

Reaction score
Taking mine in tomorrow for the recall.

Update: they did the recall and 3 software updates, 2 for the transmission control module and 1 for the E-Torque system.

Last edited:

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Had mine serviced today and they checked and it was in the recall. All they had to do was to check the torque on a ground lug. Located under the hood, drivers side. They loosened it and retorque.

jkratze1

Reaction score
My dealer says the parts for this recall are on order and I will receive a notice when the parts are in stock and to then schedule a service visit to have the recall fixed. It sounds like people are getting this recall serviced without new parts but just having existing bolts tightened. Most articles concerning this recall end with this statement :

FCA did not say when it plans to alert owners or when the recall will begin.

Chris

Reaction score
I believe their are three different solutions based upon inspection when brought in for the recall and the torque is determined:
1. In spec, no work needed.
2. Out of spec, successfully retorqued to spec.
3. Out of spec, unable to torque to spec. Replace bolt/parts and successfully torque to spec.

Only solution 3 requires parts to repair. My guess is that some trucks got overtorqued during build, damaging the bolt and making it impossible to torque to spec. At that point, the factory workers (likely nervous about their job) pushed it through without notifying anyone, then proceeded to torque under spec from then on to avoid damaging anymore bolts, thus creating all 3 potential situations. They may be using more durable parts going forward to help prevent future damage as well, but only someone who engineered the parts could say for sure.

EGD

Reaction score
Well I was in a sweeping left turn and nearly hit an oncoming vehicle because steering would not center and felt like it cut out. Had to steer right to prevent collision. For this price, I am almost tempted to just call it a freaking lemon.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I had the recall work done today on my truck. They performed the inspection and checked the torque settings. From what I can tell on the receipt no parts were replaced on my truck. I have not had any power steering problems but now I can be sure that my grounds are good.

JAGITA

Reaction score
I believe their are three different solutions based upon inspection when brought in for the recall and the torque is determined:
1. In spec, no work needed.
2. Out of spec, successfully retorqued to spec.
3. Out of spec, unable to torque to spec. Replace bolt/parts and successfully torque to spec.

Only solution 3 requires parts to repair. My guess is that some trucks got overtorqued during build, damaging the bolt and making it impossible to torque to spec. At that point, the factory workers (likely nervous about their job) pushed it through without notifying anyone, then proceeded to torque under spec from then on to avoid damaging anymore bolts, thus creating all 3 potential situations. They may be using more durable parts going forward to help prevent future damage as well, but only someone who engineered the parts could say for sure.
My dealer says the parts for this FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus recall are on order and I will receive a notice when the parts are in stock and to then schedule a service visit to have the recall fixed. It sounds like people are getting this recall serviced without new parts but just having existing bolts tightened. Most articles concerning this recall end with this statement :

Last edited:

MaxSteelTX

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread