5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fender flares

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
No but I did notice when installing mine that the screw can push the tab in feels like it’s tight but it actually missed the hole causing the gap.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying some Xpel PPF tape to place under the flares between the rubber gasket and paint (my 2500 had the BW Pocket Flares, so I've seen first hand the damaged caused)

Will 12ft be enough or will I need more? $22 for 12ft and $60 for 100ft
I don’t believe 12 will be enough

Reaction score
You'll need about 6ft for each of the rear and I think 5ft for the fronts. I bought a 6" wide 12ft long one. And sliced it into 1.5" long pieces and it was just enough.

Yes I seen the wide ones, I have been debating between order those and doing what you did... or going with 1/2"x100 and going that route.
I was going to get the 3/4x100 but I figure it's an extra $20, and with the 1/2x100 I am going to have A BUNCH left.. So what I will end up doing is double up on the 1/2" to make sure I get full contact rubber to PPF. So I will use roughly 50ft of that roll with doubling up and still have another 50ft for whatever. I don't really need spend another 20ft on 3/4 and be left with 75ft as I wouldn't need to double up on the 3/4... I think the 1/2" will also form better around curves.

I don’t believe 12 will be enough

I believe you're correct. When I measured the flares on the rear. it was about 7ft and the fronts were about 6ft. So I am going to just order the 1/2x100ft

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Don’t double up, when you mask off the flare leave approx 1/8 inch between the flare and the tape. Then follow the tape tight it will leave just A tiny bit of tape exposed after the final install. It’s unnoticeable you will know that you have the area covers. I also covered the holes from the factory flares on the fender to prevent dirt splashing up from the inside of the fender. Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Don’t double up, when you mask off the flare leave approx 1/8 inch between the flare and the tape. Then follow the tape tight it will leave just A tiny bit of tape exposed after the final install. It’s unnoticeable you will know that you have the area covers. I also covered the holes from the factory flares on the fender to prevent dirt splashing up from the inside of the fender. Hope that makes sense.
What I mean by doubling up is making the 1/2" become 1"... I don't mean stacking them on top of each other.

Reason I'm saying to double up is the PPF is 1/2 wide. The rubber for the flares when I measured is also 1/2. I was planning on leaving a slight gap like you said (about 1/8) so by doing this not all of the rubber gasket would sit on the flare. If I put 2 1/2 peices side by side it will be 1" thick. So 1/8 will be above the rubber and the rest of the tape will be behind the flare below the rubber seal. Make sense?

Also I think I know what you mean about covering the holes. I was planning on putting this PPF tape also on the painted area inside of the fender where the flares bolt on. Keep dirt and stuff out and prevent any possible rubbing on that part of the fender. The inside arch is what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Since we’re on the flares topic, if your truck came with factory installed and painted flares that you’ve replaced, what are you doing with the originals?

sep1006

Reaction score
Since we’re on the flares topic, if your truck came with factory installed and painted flares that you’ve replaced, what are you doing with the originals?

I have my originals as well. Really didn't know they were worth anything. Based on not getting ANY responses on selling my stock Rebel wheels I would think these would take quite a while to sell. Will probably end up putting them in the recycle can.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed my Pocket Style Fender Flares Yesterday. I was surprised about all the dirt behind the
Factory Flares with only 5500 miles on the Truck. With the 1.75" Hub Spacers, the wheels come
right out to the edge of the new Flares. There is a few gaps to the body that I will have to address
and refit, but overall they look great.

Malodave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have my originals as well. Really didn't know they were worth anything. Based on not getting ANY responses on selling my stock Rebel wheels I would think these would take quite a while to sell. Will probably end up putting them in the recycle can.
Unfortunately that’s my thought as well. I don’t wanna mess with shipping and nobody in my general vicinity is gonna be interested I’m guessing.

Reaction score
Just installed my Pocket Style Fender Flares Yesterday. I was surprised about all the dirt behind the
Factory Flares with only 5500 miles on the Truck. With the 1.75" Hub Spacers, the wheels come
right out to the edge of the new Flares. There is a few gaps to the body that I will have to address
and refit, but overall they look great.

Malodave

Pictures? Are they Bushwacker pocket flares? Stock Rims?

1.75" all around, I am guessing your at the edge on the front and recessed slightly in the rear, since the rear is about 1/4" or so wider in the front.

I've got 2" front spacers and 2.5" rear, from my measurements and stock rims I figured I'd be flush with my flares.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pictures? Are they Bushwacker pocket flares? Stock Rims?

1.75" all around, I am guessing your at the edge on the front and recessed slightly in the rear, since the rear is about 1/4" or so wider in the front.

I've got 2" front spacers and 2.5" rear, from my measurements and stock rims I figured I'd be flush with my flares.

They were a different brand. The sidewalls are pretty much flush with the Flares.
I need to wash the truck first before I get any good pictures. I am a Photographer
so I hate making bad pictures just to post.

Malodave

Reaction score
Well got my flares installed today, took my time and spend probably 6 or 7 hours (including breaks and some other side jobs on truck)

I used 1/8" tape to outline where I wanted the PPF tape. Closest layer of 1/8" tape of removed which left the 2nd layer, that was where I put the PPF tape. I wanted the PPF tape to be exactly 1/8 all around so this was the best way.

Could have paid $150 to install but this was far better as they wouldn't have done all of the things I did today.

So glad I decided to do paint matched over just leaving them black. Love the look other then how far the tires are inside of the flares, going to look funny for a month while I wait for my Bora wheel spacers.

20210423_200117.jpg

Pic 1 - single layer tape
Pic 2 - double layer tape
Pic 3 - close up of pic 2
Pic 4 - 1st layer removed to leave 1/8" gap
Pic 5 - close up of pic 4
Pic 6 - close up 2x 1/2" layers of PPF tape
Pic 7 - modified rear spat installed
Pic 7 & 8 - modified spat clip with double sided take to attached to rear
20210423_145413.jpg 20210423_150056.jpg 20210423_150100.jpg 20210423_150145.jpg 20210423_150149.jpg 20210423_161559.jpg 20210423_200126.jpg

20210423_184459.jpg 20210423_185944.jpg

What so you think of the spat modification? Does it look good or should I remove it?
The spat at the front of the box I'm leaving off as it matches the way the bottom is below the doors. And the front there wouldn't be room even if I wanted it

Reaction score
Also cut fender liner bracket in anticipation of the front 2" wheel spacers. I test fitted 1.5" spacers and they were really close. I've gained about 1/2" which should be plenty.

Cut, primed and painted.

20210423_115448.jpg

20210423_140940.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread