5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fender flares with negative offset wheels

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a serious question, for anyone who has or wants wide flares (by choice):

What’s the point of putting negative offset wheels on a truck and then putting flares on it?

The point of buying a negative offset wheel is to have the tire stick out past the fender for an aggressive appearance.

I see people with 12 and 14 wides with flares. Insanity.

Now, I do realize the market is dominated by these wheels but there are plenty of 20x9 wheels with a ~0 offset that will barely sit out past the fender.

This is something I’ve never been able to understand.

Is it for looks? huge bulky flares look awesome?

You no longer have the aggressive stance if the flare covers the tire which negates the whole thing. Not to mention some of them look horrendous, like the GM truck ones.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
One its for looks. and two it keeps dirt and mud of the side of the truck A LOT more than not having them. My last truck was an F250 with a 10" lift and 40x15.5" wide tires. Without the flares i COULD NOT keep my truck clean to save my life. But with them it was much easier.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s all personal preference. Some people like the wheels sticking way out, some don’t. Some like the wider stance without getting mud and grime thrown all over the side of the truck. Some just like the look of the flares.

For me, I wanted to widen the stance of the truck, it didn’t want to throw up dirt and debris all over my paint. I went with 20x10 -25 with 33s and put some Bushwackers on. It’s not for everybody, but I love the look and am happy with it.

Attachments

• 1CC5D32A-E3FF-4143-BDA8-2D504E617C71.jpeg
    1CC5D32A-E3FF-4143-BDA8-2D504E617C71.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 236
  • D31046CF-5B25-48D6-8EBF-47AF1447BF33.jpeg
    D31046CF-5B25-48D6-8EBF-47AF1447BF33.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 237

Stifmeister

Reaction score
wider track width.... beyond looks there is a functional reason for it too

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
It’s all personal preference. Some people like the wheels sticking way out, some don’t. Some like the wider stance without getting mud and grime thrown all over the side of the truck. Some just like the look of the flares.

For me, I wanted to widen the stance of the truck, it didn’t want to throw up dirt and debris all over my paint. I went with 20x10 -25 with 33s and put some Bushwackers on. It’s not for everybody, but I love the look and am happy with it.
Your truck looks spectacular. Do you suggest (my Big Horn truck is bright white) factory fender flares or Bushwackers, as far as function is concerned?
ALSO, could you please send a link for those side steps. Those are exactly what I want on mine. Hate running boards! Thank you!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck looks spectacular. Do you suggest (my Big Horn truck is bright white) factory fender flares or Bushwackers, as far as function is concerned?
ALSO, could you please send a link for those side steps. Those are exactly what I want on mine. Hate running boards! Thank you!
I appreciate it. I would go for the Bushwackers for looks or function. They stick out further so you get more coverage. That being said, unless you have offset wheels I think they look a little odd. That’s just me though, I don’t like my wheels tucked way in. I actually bought new wheels after I installed the Bushwackers because my other wheels set about 2” further inside. F83DDA63-E29D-408F-B37A-81FCBC43EA97.jpeg 6157C7DF-1C6F-4648-B3C1-7363329BF47D.jpeg

Here is a link to the side steps. They are by nfab. They have them in textured and gloss black.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I would go for the Bushwackers for looks or function. They stick out further so you get more coverage. That being said, unless you have offset wheels I think they look a little odd. That’s just me though, I don’t like my wheels tucked way in. I actually bought new wheels after I installed the Bushwackers because my other wheels set about 2” further inside. View attachment 26871 View attachment 26872

Here is a link to the side steps. They are by nfab. They have them in textured and gloss black.
You install the side steps yourself?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You install the side steps yourself?
Yeah, pretty simple install. The biggest headache was cleaning the threads from overspray. Get a drill with a wire brush and go over them, or a grade 8 nut and screw it all the way on and all the way off.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty simple install. The biggest headache was cleaning the threads from overspray. Get a drill with a wire brush and go over them, or a grade 8 nut and screw it all the way on and all the way off.

Go buy a dye from Home Depot. It was maybe $10 and I used a socket on my drill and it was no big deal at all. Installed mine in 30 mins

Users who are viewing this thread