5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback before I finalize my order.

DaYooper

Reaction score
After weeks of forum research, 100's of YouTube videos and a couple of test drives, I've finally made a decision to go with a fully loaded Longhorn (I think). I know the limited is a better value because of all the options included as standard, but I really like the two tone light brown/dark brown/barn wood interior on the Longhorn vs the all black of the limited.

There are a few options I'm undecided on at this point and was hoping for a little feedback from the members here.

BUG - Is this really worth the $445 price on a non RamBox Longhorn? Do you currently get anything other than the utility rails? (These are available for less than $250 direct from Moparparts.) No load divider, no rear step, no difference in the bed lighting, just the utility rails installed, correct?

eTorque - I test drove both a 5.7 with and without the eTorque. Psychologically I'm just not a fan of the start/stop techology, but in practice it seems to work pretty well with the eTorque setup. What I wasn't a fan of was the shifting and braking of the eTorque 5.7 version I drove vs the standard 5.7. It just wasn't as smooth. Could it be that the e-Torque truck I test drove just needed a little break in time to get adjusted to my driving habits? I wish the price difference had held at the lower initial offering as I probably would spring for it, but at its current cost it would take 6-8 years to hope to see any payoff.

e-Locker - As a life long GM truck owner I've always got the Z-71 package which included the G80 auto locking rear differential. It's got me out of many snow/ice/mud situations without needing a tow. If I understand correctly, the RAM e-locker is much closer to the G80 in operation vs the anti-spin option.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Longhorn is a great trim. Maybe wait for the official Rebel 12 Special Edition?

eTorque, IMhO, isn't worth it unless you are towing a lot. Otherwise it's one more thing that could possibly go wrong.

So far the eLocker has worked flawlessly and for me is a no brainer with the brutal winters around here. The ASD was fine on my 16', but wasn't winter friendly. But also the Toyo tires were awful. I think the 4x4 package is worth it on any trim... as long as you delete the decal package that comes with it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BUG on a Longhorn/Limited seems way overpriced UNLESS you can talk your dealer into ordering the bed step and thus including it. If they don't, you'd still about break even buying it and the rails separately and installing yourself.
Now that we have the part # and a photo of an accessory bed step installed, there is no reason a dealer shouldn't list it as a "missing factory part" and take care of it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After weeks of forum research, 100's of YouTube videos and a couple of test drives, I've finally made a decision to go with a fully loaded Longhorn (I think). I know the limited is a better value because of all the options included as standard, but I really like the two tone light brown/dark brown/barn wood interior on the Longhorn vs the all black of the limited.

There are a few options I'm undecided on at this point and was hoping for a little feedback from the members here.

BUG - Is this really worth the $445 price on a non RamBox Longhorn? Do you currently get anything other than the utility rails? (These are available for less than $250 direct from Moparparts.) No load divider, no rear step, no difference in the bed lighting, just the utility rails installed, correct?

eTorque - I test drove both a 5.7 with and without the eTorque. Psychologically I'm just not a fan of the start/stop techology, but in practice it seems to work pretty well with the eTorque setup. What I wasn't a fan of was the shifting and braking of the eTorque 5.7 version I drove vs the standard 5.7. It just wasn't as smooth. Could it be that the e-Torque truck I test drove just needed a little break in time to get adjusted to my driving habits? I wish the price difference had held at the lower initial offering as I probably would spring for it, but at its current cost it would take 6-8 years to hope to see any payoff.

e-Locker - As a life long GM truck owner I've always got the Z-71 package which included the G80 auto locking rear differential. It's got me out of many snow/ice/mud situations without needing a tow. If I understand correctly, the RAM e-locker is much closer to the G80 in operation vs the anti-spin option.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
I'm very pleased with our new Longhorn. Yes, it cost more than a Limited. But we like the grille, interior, and wheels on the Longhorn better. The interior, especially...it's a beautiful mix of hand-crafted materials and leading technology. In the end, it wasn't that much of a price hike to get what we really wanted. I'd do it again.

I have RamBoxes, so the BUG was a no-brainer (in my opinion). However, I think you may be incorrect about there being "no difference in the bed lighting", since LED bed lighting comes with the BUG. Based on info that others have shared, this is a very difficult installation after-the-fact. And those lights are handy if you have a tonneau cover (or will install one) and don't want to roll/fold it up to see anything.

We bought an eTorque-equipped truck, but we ordered when it was far less expensive. I love that the start/stop is relatively seamless. And I think you're right that the truck you test-drove just needs some time for the transmission to 'learn'. There are something like 48 shift maps with the transmission, and I noticed a lot of variation across my various test drives. For what it's worth, my delivered truck shifts beautifully. And it may take me a while to recover the cost, but I'm thinking it may be worth it for (eventual) payback, reduced low-RPM engine stress, and possibly reduced brake wear (due to effects of regenerative braking).

I've owned a couple of GM trucks with "auto-lockers" (G80, G86)...effectively beefier LSDs. The Eaton ELocker is a bit different, as it doesn't auto-lock. You lock it electronically (with a button) when you need it, and it auto-unlocks once traction has been attained. Great for extreme "on demand" traction scenarios. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, but it came with the Off Road Group and will be a 'nice-to-have' feature.

Happy to comment on pros/cons of anything else you may be thinking.

DaYooper

Reaction score
I'm very pleased with our new Longhorn. Yes, it cost more than a Limited. But we like the grille, interior, and wheels on the Longhorn better. The interior, especially...it's a beautiful mix of hand-crafted materials and leading technology. In the end, it wasn't that much of a price hike to get what we really wanted. I'd do it again.

I have RamBoxes, so the BUG was a no-brainer (in my opinion). However, I think you may be incorrect about there being "no difference in the bed lighting", since LED bed lighting comes with the BUG. Based on info that others have shared, this is a very difficult installation after-the-fact. And those lights are handy if you have a tonneau cover (or will install one) and don't want to roll/fold it up to see anything.

We bought an eTorque-equipped truck, but we ordered when it was far less expensive. I love that the start/stop is relatively seamless. And I think you're right that the truck you test-drove just needs some time for the transmission to 'learn'. There are something like 48 shift maps with the transmission, and I noticed a lot of variation across my various test drives. For what it's worth, my delivered truck shifts beautifully. And it may take me a while to recover the cost, but I'm thinking it may be worth it for (eventual) payback, reduced low-RPM engine stress, and possibly reduced brake wear (due to effects of regenerative braking).

I've owned a couple of GM trucks with "auto-lockers" (G80, G86)...effectively beefier LSDs. The Eaton ELocker is a bit different, as it doesn't auto-lock. You lock it electronically (with a button) when you need it, and it auto-unlocks once traction has been attained. Great for extreme "on demand" traction scenarios. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, but it came with the Off Road Group and will be a 'nice-to-have' feature.

Happy to comment on pros/cons of anything else you may be thinking.

Are you sure about the LED bed lighting comes only with the BUG? The chart in the back of the 2019 brochure I have list the bed lighting as standard on the Longhorn and Limited. Also, as far as I remember all of the Longhorn and Limited models I looked at had the bed lights regardless if they included the utility rails . The table does show the rear step as only included in the BUG even though they are not available at all. Maybe someone with a non RamBox Longhorn w/o the BUG will chime in about the bed lights.

One of the dealers I visited had a Limited with the RamBox option. Pretty neat, but I don't think I want to give up the cubic and cargo capacity they require. Plus I really need a 6'4 box and don't want to wait until next year to order. They remind me of the Chevy Avalanche I owned. I loved that vehicle.

I wish FCA could have keep the lower price on the e-Torque system because I like the intelligent use of current technology without going overboard. For me and my mostly highway driving habits, I just don't think it's worth the financial cost plus the loss of 80 pounds of cargo capacity.

Is the manual wrong about the operation of the e-Locker? Starting on page 334 it says that once turned on by the button it stays that way until you disengage it. It also says it will be temporarily disengaged over certain speeds in different 4WD modes, but reengage when speed drops back down below the listed limits.

Users who are viewing this thread