5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fee for mandatory software updates???

Rambroh

Reaction score
I took my 2019 1500 to the dealer because at low speeds starting stopping, rounding corners, I hear light clunk/bump in rear, and it seems to shift hard through lower gears periodically. In addition, when I would turn right hand corners, I would hear a low or grinding noise. Dealer could not reproduce either, but said there was TSBs for both issues. TSB-08-137-21 for EPS Module update and TSB-21-005-19 for TCM software update. I was out of my basic warranty but had an extended warranty and was charged my deductible to have both modules software updated. The EPS update solved the turning problem. However, the drive train, bumping still persist cell. As I thought about this more, I don’t think I should pay for required software updates, so filed a case with FCA, but has not heard back from them yet, incidentally, one of the representatives hung up on me and would not let me file a case because there wasn’t a recall issue for these updates. I called back got another representative and was able to login a case. Anyone else have these issues and what are your thoughts about being charged for software updates that are required ? Thanks for your comments and advance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If there is no recall, then there is no software update that is "required".
Unfortunately Ram can push updates to you and you are forced to pay to fix if any problems and you can't opt out.
They keep the firmware updates under lock and key, you can download them online but not through Ram because they want you to pay.
As trucks get more and more technical and electronic the lesss ability you have to do anything to them yourself. It was obviously faulty software installed onto the truck if they fixed it by changing firmware.
Firmware doesn't change so it's not like a wear and tear item.
But what can you do?

Rambroh

Reaction score
If there is no recall, then there is no software update that is "required".
Unfortunately Ram can push updates to you and you are forced to pay to fix if any problems and you can't opt out.
They keep the firmware updates under lock and key, you can download them online but not through Ram because they want you to pay.
As trucks get more and more technical and electronic the lesss ability you have to do anything to them yourself. It was obviously faulty software installed onto the truck if they fixed it by changing firmware.
Firmware doesn't change so it's not like a wear and tear item.
But what can you do?
Well thanks for validating. It really sucks, and salt in the wound… not even a follow up to my case.

Xwolf

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2019 rebel 5.7 with the cylinder cut out feature: 40K Miles. I live in the Lake of the Ozarks hilly area and besides the occasional lugging before the 4 brothers pitch in there are no issues. As these engines age, are there any issues that arise from cylinder deactivation That y’all may know of?

23RAM

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2019 rebel 5.7 with the cylinder cut out feature: 40K Miles. I live in the Lake of the Ozarks hilly area and besides the occasional lugging before the 4 brothers pitch in there are no issues.
The lugging you may feel is likely from the tranny being in a high gear going uphill as the economy oriented programming tries to keep MPG high. The MDS feature is very smooth and barely noticeable unless you're looking/feeling for it. On my way to/from work I cruise in a 50mph zone with some hills and with the tunes playing, I can only tell it's kicking in/out with the ECO light on the dash. As soon as I start to go up a hill, the cruise raises RPM slightly and ECO goes out as the other 4 cyls kick in smoothly. If it's not smooth, something is wrong with your system.
As these engines age, are there any issues that arise from cylinder deactivation That y’all may know of?
Maintain regular oil and filter changes to keep the MDS actuators clear...that's the only confirmed issue I"m aware of. MDS has been around for many years and is a reliable system on many different engines and brands.

Rambroh

Reaction score
The lugging you may feel is likely from the tranny being in a high gear going uphill as the economy oriented programming tries to keep MPG high. The MDS feature is very smooth and barely noticeable unless you're looking/feeling for it. On my way to/from work I cruise in a 50mph zone with some hills and with the tunes playing, I can only tell it's kicking in/out with the ECO light on the dash. As soon as I start to go up a hill, the cruise raises RPM slightly and ECO goes out as the other 4 cyls kick in smoothly. If it's not smooth, something is wrong with your system.

Maintain regular oil and filter changes to keep the MDS actuators clear...that's the only confirmed issue I"m aware of. MDS has been around for many years and is a reliable system on many different engines and brands.
Thx. I feel it mostly at low speeds when decelerating then accelerating as when turn corners or preparing to stop for light and light changes before I stop and accelerate. Feels like the rear but I guess the tranny could chunk the rear??

23RAM

Reaction score
Thx. I feel it mostly at low speeds when decelerating then accelerating as when turn corners or preparing to stop for light and light changes before I stop and accelerate. Feels like the rear but I guess the tranny could chunk the rear??
Oh that might be a different issue - the rear drive shaft is extendable and if poorly lubed it will clunk under those circumstances.

Rambroh

Reaction score
Oh that might be a different issue - the rear drive shaft is extendable and if poorly lubed it will clunk under those circumstances.
Thank you. BTW Ram Care not helpful at all by providing indirect answers until I kept asking for specifics. Then they turfed me to dealer. Not a good experience specifically when you combine my experience with their call center. Very poor customer service. Does not promote brand loyalty.

Users who are viewing this thread