5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Features Changed for 2022

Hasti17

Reaction score
So Id love to discuss more what exactly has been changed/on hold/ suspended.
Ill start off with my question So I know blind spot monitoring was dropped on the 2022 Laramie and the 2021.5's. I don't know if anybody has a truck without this option but their input would be very helpful. Now the BSM sensors are built into the LED taillamps and presumably they didnt change that. I guess my question is when FCA dropped the feature, did they preserve all the components for it? Im wondering how easy it would be to retrofit the BSM and what exactly is missing to make that happen. I know infotainment makes a retrofit kit for lower trims BUT laramies and rebels should still have most of whats needed to add it in. In the past I've had a lot of vehicles and that had components for features I didn't have installed just because it is cheaper than designing a separate component for a lower trim versus a higher trim. So that is my driving logic

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I assume the reason for the drop is because of the dreaded chip shortage. So the wiring should be there. You'd just need the taillights and AlfaODB to enable it.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the chips in the taillights? The reason for them dropping it is the chip shortage. I read on here before you can just add the chips to the taillights and don't need the whole light. But finding the chips might be a problem for a while.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Are the chips in the taillights? The reason for them dropping it is the chip shortage. I read on here before you can just add the chips to the taillights and don't need the whole light. But finding the chips might be a problem for a while.
See that was my thought. I figured it would be way too expensive to modify parts for newer trucks to remove the equipment needed to get those to work. If they don't have the chips, then they just don't put the chips in. But in that case are the chips the sensors inside the tail lights or is it some other module located elsewhere thats lacking the "chipsets" in question. My truck will show up lake this year and I don't need it, but if it's as easy as buying a couple of chipsets and a few hours to take something apart and put it back together. Id 100% be willing to part with a couple hundred dollars to equip the feature later in 2022 as supply makes chipsets more available.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I'm currently waiting on a replacement taillight for my 2019 limited, been on BO for 6 months. Someone at Costco cracked it.

There's a huge box/module in there that has the BSM, I'm assuming that's where the chip is. Apparently it needs to be calibrated as well once it's swapped out.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
See that was my thought. I figured it would be way too expensive to modify parts for newer trucks to remove the equipment needed to get those to work. If they don't have the chips, then they just don't put the chips in. But in that case are the chips the sensors inside the tail lights or is it some other module located elsewhere thats lacking the "chipsets" in question. My truck will show up lake this year and I don't need it, but if it's as easy as buying a couple of chipsets and a few hours to take something apart and put it back together. Id 100% be willing to part with a couple hundred dollars to equip the feature later in 2022 as supply makes chipsets more available.
It looks like the blind spot detection module can be added to your truck for $171 per taillight. I wanted BSM but it wasn't available for my Laramie when I ordered it. $340 isn't bad, especially since I already have AlfaOBD.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I doubt you would be able to just "add the chips" and have a working system. I have no doubt the wiring will be there, but I can't see them installing modules that have components (chips) missing. Even if they did, it's not just a simple matter of plugging them into a socket. It's likely that these are fine-pitch surface mount parts, and the average person lacks the skills, tools, and/or techniques to solder them in place. It's more likely that it could be a matter of just adding the missing modules once parts availability come back. Then adding the sales code.

Hasti17

Reaction score
It looks like the blind spot detection module can be added to your truck for $171 per taillight. I wanted BSM but it wasn't available for my Laramie when I ordered it. $340 isn't bad, especially since I already have AlfaOBD.

That's actually a perfect answer. Exactly what I was referring to. now question for you, does your truck have the little illuminated triangles in the mirrors (obviously without BSM installed they dont do anything). Since it's a Laramie and comes with the power folding mirrors I would think that those BSM lights in the mirrors would just be built into the unit.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have this option and it does not bother me one bit and I never think about not having it - even though my previous vehicle did have it. It's probably one of the more useful safety features but you certainly do not need it to drive safely. Personally I have never been in any kind of accident or fender bender so it really isn't these features making that happen.

Hasti17

Reaction score
I do not have this option and it does not bother me one bit and I never think about not having it - even though my previous vehicle did have it. It's probably one of the more useful safety features but you certainly do not need it to drive safely. Personally I have never been in any kind of accident or fender bender so it really isn't these features making that happen.
I mean it has nothing to do with whether it's necessary or not in my opinion. It's more so just a question of with all these tech features that they've been altering It seems likely to be that many of them should be relatively easy to retrofit back onto a vehicle because there's so much cross-pollination between the different systems. In this case, The LED tail lights
(and potentially mirrors) for all of the upper trimmed Rams have the capacity for BSM sensors, its just an excercise on how easy would it be to take a truck built without that option and "turn it on". Personally if there is an easy and cheap way to enable it on my truck when I get it I'd be willing to do it. Not because it improves my driving at all, but it's just nice to have if the truck has 90% of the hardware already on it.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed - I may have misunderstood your initial comment on input from those that do not have BSM. But for sure if the guts are there and it's inexpensive, to me it is one of the more useful safety features to have.

ski107

Reaction score
Ordered my Laramie early July and there was no way to get BSM, so if there's a way to add it I'd totally do it.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That's actually a perfect answer. Exactly what I was referring to. now question for you, does your truck have the little illuminated triangles in the mirrors (obviously without BSM installed they dont do anything). Since it's a Laramie and comes with the power folding mirrors I would think that those BSM lights in the mirrors would just be built into the unit.
I can't tell if it does just looking at the mirror. Is the triangle visible if it's not illuminated?

Hasti17

Reaction score
I can't tell if it does just looking at the mirror. Is the triangle visible if it's not illuminated?
Based on what I've seen yes, so if you can't see the triangle in the mirror it does not have the lights equipped

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Based on what I've seen yes, so if you can't see the triangle in the mirror it does not have the lights equipped
You're right. I just watched a video about BSM and you can clearly see the triangle when it's not illuminated.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Probably they have 2 sets of mirrors and taillights for the 1500s, don't you think?
So a version for the base models without the LED and triangle template in the mirror glass and one with it used for the Limited or when you tick the option on a laramie or other version.

Cause if they are not having the chips at the moment, they will just install the cheaper mirrors and taillights on a Laramie while they perhaps did place the Limited mirrors and taillights for the 2021 Laramies??

just my idea. Cause why would they put on "empty" mirrors showing you the triangle outline etc when the car does not come with the functionality from the factory in 2022.

Brooklyn 22 laramie

Reaction score
I have a 2022 laramie and i do have the blind spot sensors. I saw the triangles on my mirrors and never saw them light up till the other day. Not as sensitive as other trucks I’ve owned but they are there maybe it was an early build

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online