5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA used "Bait & Switch" on new vehicle rebate!

cornelius967

Reaction score
I've tried to get this cleared up dealing with RAM Care to no avail. In the end, FCA cheated me out of $750 worth of a "Private Rebate" that they sent to me. To say that they were "less than helpful" when discussing this matter is an understatement.

In 2021 I bought a new RAM 1500 Quad Cab Bighorn 4x4 "Off Road". I knew what options I wanted and searched for weeks to find the right truck. I eventually found the right RAM out in Connecticut (I live in Southern Illinois). I worked with the folks at Shaker CDJR in Watertown, CT and made the deal via phone/text/e-mail. They were very easy to work with. I flew out and drove my truck back to Illinois. I loved that truck! It was perhaps the smoothest riding vehicle that I've ever owned. What was supposed to be a "farm truck" became our "go to" vehicle due to its smooth ride, acoustic glass, and noise canceling stereo which my wife loved. Before long, my wife was asking about heated/cooled seats, more room in the back for the dog and groceries, leather seats with memory, etc. We also noted that we absolutely disliked the rotary dial gear selector. I had planned to attach a snow plow (the Bighorn had plow prep group) but realized that running a plow with that goofy rotary gear selector would be less than optimal. I started looking for a RAM 1500 Crew Cab Laramie.

I was very intrigued by the G/T package that RAM put together with the console shifter from the TRX. I started looking for a RAM G/T to buy. I went on the RAM Trucks website to look at incentives and to build a truck to see what kind of cost I was looking at. I filled out the online "Start the Buying Process" form to see if I could get pre-approved for 0% financing (I had 72 months of 0% interest on the Bighorn). I was doing online searches for the "right" RAM G/T which took a couple of weeks. During that time I received an e-mail from FCA/RAM with a "Private Rebate" for $1,750 that was "Stackable" (meaning that it could be added to any other discounts or rebates that were available at the time of purchase). A couple weeks later in January of 2022) I found a RAM 1500 CC Laramie G/T 4x4 at a dealership in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The "online price" was $5,000 below MSRP. I called the dealership and as luck would have it, it had arrived at the dealership earlier that day. They honored their "online price" and our negotiations were mainly surrounding the trade in value of my 2021 Bighorn "Off Road" with 5,000 miles.

During the negotiations, I mentioned that I had a "Private Rebate" for $1,750. The salesperson had never heard of a "Private Rebate" so I sent them the e-mail that I had received from FCA/RAM and asked them to "look into it" as it seemed completely legit to me (see attachment). We agreed on a price for my trade. There was a $1,500 rebate for the Midwest region which I received. My $1,750 "Private Rebate" was "Stackable". I was pretty happy with my deal. I sent in a down payment. I spoke with the Finance Rep from the dealer and told him that I had the "Private Rebate" and that it was in one of the e-mails that I shared with the sales person. I made my plans and drove up to Wisconsin to pick up my new truck. When I got there, the truck was ready and the sales team was helpful and friendly. I noticed that the $1,750 private rebate wasn't on the paperwork. I had a copy of the Rebate with me. I showed it to the Finance Rep. He was fully aware of a "Private Rebate" offer and told me that he would process it and then send me a check for the $1,750. No problem!

A couple weeks later I call the Finance Rep and ask about the Rebate check. He says he needs to look into it. He calls me back and says that there was a "misunderstanding" and that the rebate was for only $1,000. I said, "How can that be? It literally says $1,750 and "stackable" and I've met all of the requirements in the small print. He had nothing! No reasonable explanation: NOTHING!

I contacted RAM Care and asked about the discrepancy. They told me that I had to contact someone in "Rebates and Incentives". I explained the whole story and sent them a copy of the e-mail. All they could say was "Sorry, you got $1,000 and that's the amount of the rebate". I have yet to receive a reasonable explanation as to why I did not get the full $1,750 "Private Rebate" offer that FCA/RAM sent to me. I didn't ask for a special rebate, THEY sent it to me!! I have all of the e-mail back and forth between RAM Care and FCA Incentives Group. No one can explain how a $1,750 rebate became a $1,000 rebate. It feels a lot like a "Bait & Switch"! They got me to buy a new truck based on the incentives that they offered but after the sale they switched the offer to save themselves $750! Where I come from INTEGRITY IS EVERYTHING! This is about the ethical behavior and INTEGRITY of the folks at RAM Trucks, FCA and Stellantis.

I bought two brand new trucks from FCA/Stellantis in less than one year and this is how they thank me for my business! By ripping me off $750...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 1.58.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 1.58.45 PM.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you ever get into a similar situation, anything that's not on the paperwork, get them to put on a "we owe" before you sign. That way it's part of the contract. This goes for promised goods or services ( tint, floormats carwashes, oil changes, whatever ). If' it's not written down, it doesn't exist.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for the $750 difference is it really worth the headache. I get it.. it’s the principle but some battles just aren’t worth the trouble. You wanted a new truck with a couple more bells and whistles anyways. If it was just a $1000 rebate would you have said no and kept what you had? Not worth raising your blood pressure over just $750 let it go and enjoy your new truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GP-TEK

Reaction score
I can understand both points of views. OP did want to get away from the rotary knob and add features, then again, he was promised $1,750. I say, if you have a little spare time, do as the other poster said and pursue it via government agencies. At the same time, watch your blood pressure. You don’t want to have a negative connotation with using the new truck that you really wanted.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, it sucks but like others have said, it may not be worth it. I have pissed away unknown amounts of money on vehicles just because....

Pursue it but don't let it sour you. You got the truck you want. Enjoy it. One day you will want something else and it will just be another old junker you sell off.

ICE-G

Reaction score
The offer was on only select vehicles not all trucks, and since you did not have the rebate listed on the contract they would just say it was not one of the select vehicles, always get it in the initial contract or walk away. There is always someone who got a better deal or a worse deal then you. Be happy you got what you wanted and did not have to wait 4-6 months for it to be built. Enjoy the truck.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for the $750 difference is it really worth the headache. I get it.. it’s the principle but some battles just aren’t worth the trouble. You wanted a new truck with a couple more bells and whistles anyways. If it was just a $1000 rebate would you have said no and kept what you had? Not worth raising your blood pressure over just $750 let it go and enjoy your new truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was exactly my thinking too. If a guy is willing to lose his *** on trading a 1 year old truck in for a more expensive truck, is $750 really worth burning bridges?

More than likely, that rebate offer had fine print anyhow. They ALWAYS have asteriks and fine print, and the number they show is best case scenario on specific trims or models only.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rebate form says on "SELECT" trucks. What does the fine print say about what trucks it's actually good on?

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Agree on the "select Ram branded vehicles" disclaimer and where does it say it's stackable?

Select could mean limited to certain models (1500 or 2500) or trim levels, vehicles that have been on the dealer's lot the longest, or certain engines, etc.

It sounds to me like the dealer went to the extra step of checking all the rebates the OP qualified for and came up the the $1k. If you don't qualify based on what "select" means, it isn't bait and switch (which is a click-bait thread title).

If it were me, I'd file a lemon law complaint just because that seems to be the other standard response around here anytime someone has an issue :ROFLMAO:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree on the "select Ram branded vehicles" disclaimer and where does it say it's stackable?

Select could mean limited to certain models (1500 or 2500) or trim levels, vehicles that have been on the dealer's lot the longest, or certain engines, etc.

Yep. It seems like every time I see RAM rebate ads they are always talking about "on Big Horn" models. If the OP's $1750 rebate said in the fine print "on Big Horn" models and he traded for a Laramie, then, well...

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went through a similar thing, kinda. Thinking the rebate would be more but got hit with the select vehicle thing. Dealers can look up the rebate and tell which one the full thing is on and want the rebate will be on the one you want. Sorry, I think you are dead in the water with that select vehicle thing. Kinda deceptive but also kinda read the fine print I guess.

cornelius967

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how many geniuses are on this forum that think everybody else is an idiot!

I read the "fine print"! My 1500 Laramie was included in the "select vehicles". The "stackable" word (their word not mine) was in the e-mail they sent. I included the first page of the "link" that they sent in the e-mail. The finance rep at Van Horn CDJR looked over the rebate e-mail and stated that my purchase transaction met the requirements and he had no hesitation that it would "go through". If he had hesitated or questioned if it was a "valid" rebate, I would not have left the dealership until any questions or concerns of its validity were cleared up. I felt it was reasonable to show them some "trust". We had spent the past two weeks working on a deal via e-mail/phone. We had to form some sense of mutual "trust" to complete this transaction. Vehicles were slow to trickle onto dealer lots in the past year due to supply chain issues; G/Ts were in short supply at the time. I suspect that they could have sold it out from under me for MSRP. I didn't send a deposit until a week into the negotiations. But they kept their word and honored their "online" price which was at a pretty nice discount.

Nor did I "lose my ***" on the trade. Unlike so many that seem to have "money to burn", I wouldn't have made the deal if I was going to lose a lot of money. I searched long and hard to find a "great" deal on the '21 Bighorn. I searched equally as hard to find another "great deal" on the '22 G/T. That "$750" everyone thinks I shouldn't care about was part of the calculus that helped to make the switch to a new truck a "reasonable" deal that minimized my cost for using the '21 Bighorn for 9 months. It isn't a "loss"; it was a fair and reasonable cost for the use of a new vehicle for 9 months. That cost went up by $750 due to the unethical behavior of FCA/Stellantis.

I also intend for this to be the last truck that I own. I thought the Bighorn was going to be the last truck that I bought. I was very surprised at how much the wife liked the RAM Bighorn (she hated the '93 Ford F250 4x4 it replaced). I asked her for her input on the '21 Bighorn but she said it would be my "work truck" and to get what best suited me (cloth seats, no fancy stereo, quad cab, Off Road Package, bed utility group, snow plow prep). We were both surprised at how nice it rode; smooth and quiet! But this '22 G/T is the last truck I plan to own. I'm taking care of it as if I've got to keep it running for the next 25 years (4 oil & filter changes in the first 7500 miles). So, I won't be trading it off in a few years on a new model.

This $750 rip off has soured my otherwise great "ownership experience". If they didn't want to honor their rebate offer, why even offer it? We didn't ask for it. It was a "pleasant surprise" to see it in my inbox. $750 isn't an insignificant amount of money; that would cover the cost of the hard tonneau that I installed. If everyone who suggested that I just "forget about the $750" wants to "pitch in" and Venmo me $750 (since money seems to be "of no object to you"), I'll be happy to let it go and be at peace with my purchase. Nameste...

It is about the "principle" of the matter. I have strived to act with integrity in my actions throughout my life. Why should a corporation be allowed to act without integrity in their interactions with their customers? It's mind boggling that so many folks just seem to accept that a profitable corporation should be allowed to behave in such an unscrupulous manner. Is this really acceptable behavior in 21st Century America? Corporations are making record profits these days. They don't need to rip off their loyal customers (I bought two new trucks from them in course of 10 months. And was looking into buying a '22 Grand Cherokee L to replace the wife's '13 Ford Explorer). They spend $750 or more on advertising to "acquire" a "new" customer. It seems reasonable that they would "fix this discrepancy" to keep a loyal customer. It's cheaper for them to make this right for a loyal customer than trying to get a GMC or Ford customer to "switch" to a RAM or Jeep. If this is how FCA/Stellantis is going to treat me, maybe we'll buy another Ford Explorer...

cornelius967

Reaction score
What part seems "off"? The fact that some people can put together a 5 paragraph post and not just a grammatically challenged run on sentence?

That a dealer would sell a 2022 truck at $5,091.00 off list price?

That some people receive "Private Rebates" from FCA? (Click the link below to see the full rebate offer)

Order or take delivery of a new Ram Brand vehicle

Here's the SMALL PRINT:
1. $500 Bonus Cash Allowance valid toward the purchase of a new 2021 Ram ProMaster City® vehicle. $1,750 Bonus Cash Allowance valid toward the purchase of new 2021 Ram 1500 Classic, Ram 2500/3500 Pickup, Ram 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab and Ram ProMaster® , and 2022 Ram 1500 (excluding TRX), Ram 2500/3500 Pickup and Ram 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab vehicles. Must order or take retail delivery by 2/28/2022. Not eligible for lease, or available to the general public. Valid for the person named on certificate and transferrable only to immediate family members within the same household (requires proof of address via government-issued identification). Certificate must be presented to dealer at time of purchase. Only one (1) certificate per email or postal mail address. Only one (1) original certificate may be redeemed per eligible customer. If original certificate is lost, a dealer can verify customer eligibility. Offer not redeemable on a purchase made prior to receiving this certificate. Certificate is non negotiable and not redeemable for cash. See participating dealer for details. Program ID: 45CN4F

©2022 FCA US LLC. All Rights Reserved. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Wagoneer, Mopar, SRT and HEMI are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC. ALFA ROMEO and FIAT are registered trademarks of FCA Group Marketing S.p.A., used with permission.

Or that some folks think integrity is a virtue of which our society is in desperate need?

I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.10.15 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.10.15 AM copy.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My take on it, as others have mentioned. It wouldn't be worth my time to try and fight for $750 of rebates that didn't actually subtract from the financed amount. If it's worth the OPs time and effort, then he should start by working with local dealer manager to see if they will support him. Then work your way up the chain. Could talk to a lawyer, as it may take legal representation to get anywhere, but then you may end up spending more than the $750 on lawyer fees. Unless they try to work it out to where the payment for their services is covered by FCA/Stellantis as part of settlement

Users who are viewing this thread