5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA Reveals Uconnect 5th Gen

Kizzo02

Reaction score
Hey @RamCares How about if FCA actually got the current uConnect system working correctly and as promised? You know...the system we paid for already?

It seems, they have thrown in the towel.

This is actually a great upgrade and since it will be based on Android, it should be much more reliable. The in-house system is not very good. I'm happy they are abandoning it.

I expect it to come to RAM during the mid-cycle refresh.

Last edited:

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I can't wait until they come out with a 12" version of this for the Ram trucks and we figure out how to retrofit our 2019 & 2020 trucks with the new system

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems, they have thrown in the towel.

This is actually a great upgrade and since it will be based on Android, it should be much more reliable. The in-house system is not very good. I'm happy they are abandoning it.

I expect it to come to RAM during the mid-cycle refresh.
Uconnect isnt inhouse, it runs on QNX which is a RIM(Blackberry) technology. Moving to Android should make it easier to correct bugs and such, but I am still interested in how they will secure it... Android is not the most secure platform and can be hacked relatively easily.

Manoman95

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Planning to purchase a new Ram 1500, likely with a 12 inch screen, at some point within the next year. Lots of attractive deals out there right now, but the idea of having the newest UConnect is appealing to me.

Is it worth waiting for the 2021s to see if UConnect 5 will be incorporated? Or is the prevailing wisdom that the new system will not be in use until later model years? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Planning to purchase a new Ram 1500, likely with a 12 inch screen, at some point within the next year. Lots of attractive deals out there right now, but the idea of having the newest UConnect is appealing to me.

Is it worth waiting for the 2021s to see if UConnect 5 will be incorporated? Or is the prevailing wisdom that the new system will not be in use until later model years? Thanks in advance.

If it were me, I'd wait, unless you need a truck immediately. I would imagine they will be available on the 2021 1500s, considering the Pacificas were unveiled a few months ago with the new system, and FCA sells a boatload more 1500s than Pacificas...

Manoman95

Reaction score
Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. I’ll wait until the ‘21s start showing up on the lots this fall

Manoman95

Reaction score
Well, now I'm back to considering snatching up a '20 model. I almost exclusively use CarPlay for Google Maps in combination with the vehicle's SiriusXM service. Seems like the current 12.1 system would work fine for that?

I am a bit concerned at the collection of poor experiences that some owners have had with the current 12.1 system, well documented within these forums as well as YouTube, etc. Could anyone comment on the real world prevalence of these problems? Or are they isolated to a few owners and possibly remedied with software updates?

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this...I would love to take advantage of current promotions if I could but would wait for the '21s if it is considered more prudent

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well, now I'm back to considering snatching up a '20 model. I almost exclusively use CarPlay for Google Maps in combination with the vehicle's SiriusXM service. Seems like the current 12.1 system would work fine for that?

I am a bit concerned at the collection of poor experiences that some owners have had with the current 12.1 system, well documented within these forums as well as YouTube, etc. Could anyone comment on the real world prevalence of these problems? Or are they isolated to a few owners and possibly remedied with software updates?

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this...I would love to take advantage of current promotions if I could but would wait for the '21s if it is considered more prudent
I believe it's isolated to just a few. Mine works w/o any issues. Pretty sure there are tens of thousands just like me that have zero issues with it.
Keep in mind that we are a very small swath of owners here. Most use their trucks daily and don't have issues whatsoever. The ones who come to online forums do so, for the most part, because they have questions or issues.

That being said, if I did not need a truck immediately, I'd wait and see what's in store with the 2021s. There's a high probability, in my opinion, that they will include the next gen Uconnect, to compete with Ford's upcoming Sync4, due to debut on the 2021 F150.

Cheers,

On edit: I had issues with CarPlay for about a year, but it turned out to be a physical issue with the USB hub (bent connector during assembly at the factory).
Fixed by dealer several months ago, and has been flawless ever since.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 12.1" screen had a few bugs initially but has updated over the air twice and seems to be flawless now. It's certainly impressive to everyone that gets in my truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It’s a 12, not 12.1. But yes - I’m almost exclusively running Google Maps via CarPlay plus SiriusXM in my truck, and it works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread