5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA offer a replacement of the truck any HELP!!!!

eliasgzz

Reaction score
After having a lots of problem with my Ram FCA offer a replacement but i don’t think the terms are fair they wanna discount all the miles, so all the money they I paid is lost any suggestions!!!!!!

Anyone have experience with something like this??????

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After having a lots of problem with my Ram FCA offer a replacement but i don’t think the terms are fair they wanna discount all the miles, so all the money they I paid is lost and insurance and everything, any suggestions!!!!!!
Well miles were driven, on a lease if you have excess miles over the cap thats a charge so maybe go at them with a split, you cover X many miles and they discount the rest...

cra1g

Reaction score
Insurance? That's funny. Might as well ask them to refund your gas money while you're at it.

In a perfect world, they would offer you an exact replacement without the problems. But since they don't have a bunch of trucks sitting around that have been driven around for x months and x miles, they have to give you a new one. The new one is worth more than yours, so you've got to make up the difference. That's fair.

eliasgzz

Reaction score
Insurance? That's funny. Might as well ask them to refund your gas money while you're at it.

In a perfect world, they would offer you an exact replacement without the problems. But since they don't have a bunch of trucks sitting around that have been driven around for x months and x miles, they have to give you a new one. The new one is worth more than yours, so you've got to make up the difference. That's fair.
Well i know they dont gonna give all back, but a least they can give me a discount on the new one!!! the problems on the truck came from the factory so they are the responsible for the problems and even do I never miss a payment on the truck!!!!!

eliasgzz

Reaction score
Let me put it this way you paid for something and you star having problem with it, you already do the part of the deal thats is paid for the article I think is fair if they exchange the product for a new one that work correctly at the same price the you still own.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they're doing a buyback, are they not offering enough to payoff the balance of the loan? Did you have a lot of negative equity in the truck or a large down payment? They should be doing a buyback at full msrp minus whatever mileage rate is appropriate. Anything beyond that is your responsibility. (I think)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much are they wanting to discount it for the mileage?

I don't know about anywhere else, but in FL they do that by dividing the actual mileage by 120,000. In other words, if they were buying it back and it had 60,000 miles on it, they would knock 50% off their buyback amount.

Also in FL, they REALLY do not want an actual Lemon Law filing against them. So, if you talk to them about a buyback before filing any Lemon Law paperwork, they tend to be a little more amenable to negotiation. But, once the first LL paperwork is filed, the damage is done and then they are going to go strictly by what the law says. However, generally, their initial offer is going to be what the LL dictates.

I just think it's kind of funny/sad that the FL Lemon Law basically has it enshrined in state law that any and all new vehicles are deemed to be worthless after 120,000 miles.

eliasgzz

Reaction score
How much are they wanting to discount it for the mileage?

I don't know about anywhere else, but in FL they do that by dividing the actual mileage by 120,000. In other words, if they were buying it back and it had 60,000 miles on it, they would knock 50% off their buyback amount.

Also in FL, they REALLY do not want an actual Lemon Law filing against them. So, if you talk to them about a buyback before filing any Lemon Law paperwork, they tend to be a little more amenable to negotiation. But, once the first LL paperwork is filed, the damage is done and then they are going to go strictly by what the law says. However, generally, their initial offer is going to be what the LL dictates.

I just think it's kind of funny/sad that the FL Lemon Law basically has it enshrined in state law that any and all new vehicles are deemed to be worthless after 120,000 miles.
In Texas they are entitled to discount all the miles on the truck normal formula before first repair and after that 50%, but the thing is that I need to get a 58k+ truck again and start as a fresh beginning finances

Barney556180

Reaction score
It seems reasonable that FCA would take off for the mileage you’ve used up from brand new. As in a lease, you’re paying for that portion of value you used.
With the very generous incentives on the table, you should be able to negotiate a workable deal.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In Texas they are entitled to discount all the miles on the truck normal formula before first repair and after that 50%, but the thing is that I need to get a 58k+ truck again and start as a fresh beginning finances

Okay, but what's the normal formula and how many miles are on the truck?

I mean, if they're trying to ding you for $500, you're probably not going to get a lot of sympathy. But, if they're trying to ding you for $20,000, then yeah, I could see being upset. But, that would also depend on what the actual problems are that you've been having.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see where you are leasing or bought the truck through financing?

if you leased it and say you were to pay $500/month but you paid $750 .. you could be out that money, indeed. I found out the hard way myself here - but luckily I kept the vehicle for 36 of my 39 months. If I had totaled the vehicle, I would have lost out on all that money I overpaid. In a lease, you are renting the vehicle. It would be like you rent an apartment for $500/month but pay $750 .. that over-payment doesn't help you in the long run. I knew I was going to purchase my vehicle after the lease (or at least I thought I would), so over-paying I wasn't worried about (until they explained it to me a couple months ago - -but I had already paid all that extra which just ended up taking off x-number of monthly payments. Anything over, and my dealer is applying that towards my new truck - I'm lucky!)

If you purchased the truck, then, yes, they would "charge" you for normal wear-and-tear and any mileage you used, etc. (or, they could). Each dealer if independently owned, so each one has different buy-backs.

I think I missed an original post somewhere, but what all problems were you having?
Have you asked about returning it under your local Lemon Laws if applicable?

eliasgzz

Reaction score
I don't see where you are leasing or bought the truck through financing?

if you leased it and say you were to pay $500/month but you paid $750 .. you could be out that money, indeed. I found out the hard way myself here - but luckily I kept the vehicle for 36 of my 39 months. If I had totaled the vehicle, I would have lost out on all that money I overpaid. In a lease, you are renting the vehicle. It would be like you rent an apartment for $500/month but pay $750 .. that over-payment doesn't help you in the long run. I knew I was going to purchase my vehicle after the lease (or at least I thought I would), so over-paying I wasn't worried about (until they explained it to me a couple months ago - -but I had already paid all that extra which just ended up taking off x-number of monthly payments. Anything over, and my dealer is applying that towards my new truck - I'm lucky!)

If you purchased the truck, then, yes, they would "charge" you for normal wear-and-tear and any mileage you used, etc. (or, they could). Each dealer if independently owned, so each one has different buy-backs.

I think I missed an original post somewhere, but what all problems were you having?
Have you asked about returning it under your local Lemon Laws if applicable?
Thanks i have several problem over the year, my biggest concern is that if I choose to accept the exchange I will end having a bigger bill from my bank because, in step of only have a debt of 40k some, now i gonna have a new debt of 55k thats my big concerns ........so my payment is gonna go up and the time on the loan is gonna have a reset...... why they can make the adjustment and take the part of the miles from the new price and leave the new truck at the amount of money that i own to my bank

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks i have several problem over the year, my biggest concern is that if I choose to accept the exchange I will end having a bigger bill from my bank because, in step of only have a debt of 40k some, now i gonna have a new debt of 55k thats my big concerns ........so my payment is gonna go up and the time on the loan is gonna have a reset...... why they can make the adjustment and take the part of the miles from the new price and leave the new truck at the amount of money that i own to my bank

Yes, your debt will go up, however, the value of your truck (the new one) will be much higher as well. Your debt situation, whether negative or positive is not the part that FCA is responsible for. You paid $XX,XXX for a truck, and they are only responsible for providing you with that number minus your usage of that vehicle. Whether you come out on top or under water with your payoff is on you, not them.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did they offer as your "trade in" for the current vehicle? If you are lucky, it should be pretty close to that pay off you owe. Newer truck would be higher price as stated by many here. I feel your pain and had been through this myself at least once in my life. It sucks, but you have to decide what you want (or take an older vehicle off a 2-3 year lease and make your debt lower?)

eliasgzz

Reaction score
What did they offer as your "trade in" for the current vehicle? If you are lucky, it should be pretty close to that pay off you owe. Newer truck would be higher price as stated by many here. I feel your pain and had been through this myself at least once in my life. It sucks, but you have to decide what you want (or take an older vehicle off a 2-3 year lease and make your debt lower?)
They offer MSRP to MSRP so the only way that can be possible is to take something cheaper i think so

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sucks, but you have to decide what you want to do and can afford. As said, a 'more expensive' truck gets you a better deal, but you have to figure out if you want a higher payment and want to owe that much for so much longer.

We are all here to offer our inputs and experiences, but it comes down to you alone. Take a day to think of all your options and discuss with whomever and keep us informed indeed!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is not a "trade in" situation.

Your current truck is being purchased back by FCA.

Your new truck will be purchased from the dealer of your choice.

Don't let them bundle everything together so they (the dealer) can bury cash in your deal.

This is a very cut and dry situation. And I'll say it again, seeing how you haven't specified what the situation is, but IF your truck will be completely paid off by the buyback amount, then you can go into the new deal with a clean slate.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I don't think we are understanding the exact situation. What you owe on your truck is an irrelevant fact and only serves to muddy up the question because If you put money down on your truck and FCA treats you fair you will get most or all of that money back because the mileage deduction FCA takes should more than be offset by the year of payments you made on your loan.

Let's go through this scenario, where you paid $50,000 for your truck, FCA offers that money back to you. They charge you $0.20 per mile and you have 12,000 miles on your truck. (Mileage deduction of $2,400). Then they give you a tax credit for the taxes you paid. This is what it should look like or something similar.

FCA Offer: $ 50,000
Mileage Deduction: -$ 2,400
Net Offer: $ 47,600
Tax Credit 7.5% of Net: $ 3,570

FCA Reimbursement: $ 51,170
Loan Balance: $ 40,000
Check to customer: $ 11,170

Now, if you buy a new truck for the same price as you paid for your original truck you would still be in the same situation, where you owe the bank roughly $40,000. My suspicion is that you would be able to find a better deal now than you did a year ago when the 2019 Ram 1500's first came out. As you can see from my scenario above, the loan amount is an irrelevant fact to the question you are asking, "is FCA being fair with their mileage deduction?" We can't help you answer that question until we know (1) how many miles you put on your vehicle and (2) what is the deduction FCA wants to make.

I hope this helps you and clarifies the actual question you are asking and cleans up the thought process a bit when deciding to take FCA's deal.

Users who are viewing this thread