5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Father son projects

reb0957

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for Father son projects on the Ram 1500. All of my maintenance is paid for by work, so that is out of the question. We will be installing rear wheel liners this weekend.
What else can we do besides wash and wax?
Thanks!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son had helped me install mods, steps, etc.

nburd

Reaction score
Be careful and take your time on the rear spats (behind the wheel well, lower quarter). I guess you can get behind them and squeeze the tabs. Much better option. I pulled down lightly and slid them out away from the truck side, and did not break the plastic retainers. There is a pilot pin on the rear one that makes it difficult. Thanks for the corrections.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for ideas for Father son projects on the Ram 1500. All of my maintenance is paid for by work, so that is out of the question. We will be installing rear wheel liners this weekend.
What else can we do besides wash and wax?
Thanks!
We did the DIY bed liner and installed the TechLiner made by weatherTech. (If you don't have a bed liner). Upgrade headlights, etc..

nburd

Reaction score
My 8 year old daughter helped me install my back up camera on my '13 express. Try to get her to do anything like that now at 14 with an iphone!

I am installing scratch protection film under the door sills, to prevent my dog from scratching anymore with his nails. That's only $28 in parts and a whole lot of fun for two https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-Fits-Dodge-Ram-Crew-Cab-6pc-Door-Threshold-Step-Shield-Guard-Cover/274045347699?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.

The weathertech mud flaps are a great father son project..... I did mine right after my fender well liners (do not forget to Fluid Film the behind the liners and the screw holes and in the outer quarter cavities (search my posts). That's great fun too, to smell like Lanolin.

Also, Maybe bed lights if you do not have them Tri fold Tonneau, my son and I did a rustoleum brush in bedliner in his truck 3 weeks ago.........

Now my boys are 19 and 22. So I help them. My sons Warlock got running boards (twice, long story), a tonneau, mud flaps. My other sons F150, we just did a Pioneer 7" Receiver install, did the bed liner, repaired his two front end collision damages over the past 2 years (1 car and 1 deer), installed fender flares, I recovered the drivers seat and armrests.....)

Next weekend all three trucks get undercoated with NHOil. That will be a party for sure.

BTW, my kids do not help me do anything on my truck, now that they have theirs. So savor every moment!!!

Attachments

• ram camera assistant.jpg
    ram camera assistant.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

hydrant328

Reaction score
Please post the liners photos and video if possible. It's on my list of wants/needs.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install a MOPAR 2" lift. My son and I completely rebuilt the front suspension in his 2006 RAM 1500; it was a good learning experience for him.

nburd

Reaction score
Please post the liners photos and video if possible. It's on my list of wants/needs.
It looks like you have my truck......Here is a link to the fluid film portion of the liners. An ounce of prevention.....

nburd

Reaction score
I plan on doing this soon. Invisible door edge guards. I actually bought these in 14 for my ‘13 lease truck and never did them. Might as well put them in this one. Also before winter I may spend the $250 in the front paint protection film. That’s definitely a 2 person project.

Attachments

• C1E71C0B-B3D8-4FAE-BC03-B7A8D376E170.jpeg
    C1E71C0B-B3D8-4FAE-BC03-B7A8D376E170.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 17

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
828b3b6608f6371dc709c3803456a464.jpg

I built a subwoofer box for my truck and let my 4 yo paint it. It isn’t perfect by any means but he’s really proud of his work (as am I). We had to switch his booster seat to the subwoofer side so he can be closer to his work...

838539cd9c494ce25f494335f58c7ed2.jpg

RJS

Reaction score
Be carful and take your time on the rear spats (behind the wheel well, lower quarter). Take your time and slide them out away from the truck side, try not to break the plastic (slide in) retainers. There is a pilot pin on the rear one that makes it difficult.
If you look where the clips that hold the spat go up through the metal fender you will see the clips have a set of ears that holds them in place. Squeeze the ears with a set of needle nose pliers and the whole spat assembly will drop out. It can be easily reinstalled by pushing the assembly back in place.
Trying to slide the spat out of the clips can easily break a clip or two.
That's how I installed mine.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look where the clips that hold the spat go up through the metal fender you will see the clips have a set of ears that holds them in place. Squeeze the ears with a set of needle nose pliers and the whole spat assembly will drop out. It can be easily reinstalled by pushing the assembly back in place.
Trying to slide the spat out of the clips can easily break a clip or two.
That's how I installed mine.

Here’s my walkthrough for the liners.

Mopar Wheel Liners - Ram Rebel

reb0957

Reaction score
Here’s my walkthrough for the liners.

Mopar Wheel Liners - Ram Rebel
I thought the rough country were a lot easier to install? Per instructions ( pics suck), rough country just slide between fender or flare and the retighten. Am I wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the rough country were a lot easier to install? Per instructions ( pics suck), rough country just slide between fender or flare and the retighten. Am I wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No idea, they weren’t available when I bought my truck. Only mopar on the market.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For installing the rear fender liners, never slide your spat off. Use an 8MM socket, get under the truck so you can see where the white clips protrude through the metal, slide the 8MM socket down over the end of the clips, and each will release from the metal. They will remain in the spat and won’t break. To reinstall them, just align and press up until they click back into position.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread