5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast track me on 30K mile service?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm almost due for my 30K mile service.

I got the truck with 17K on it, so it's just now time for my 2nd oil change since I got it. Just a little overdue, but I drove 2800 miles in the last 2 weeks, so didn't have time to get it done right at my 5K interval.

Anyway.... other than the normal oil and filter change, what do I need to have the dealer do?

I think it's due for a fuel filter change, which is the real reason for my post.

When I had my last oil change, the dealer told me I would need a fuel filter at the next service, and that that would cost about $400 to have done.

So, what is the best way to get that done for the most reasonable price - WITHOUT me doing it myself?

I'd rather pay a dealer and have a paper trail, for warranty purposes. So, I guess the REAL question is, is it feasible to order a fuel filter and provide it to the dealer to use, and how much will that really save me? If that is the way to go, where is the best place to get one?

Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm almost due for my 30K mile service.

I got the truck with 17K on it, so it's just now time for my 2nd oil change since I got it. Just a little overdue, but I drove 2800 miles in the last 2 weeks, so didn't have time to get it done right at my 5K interval.

Anyway.... other than the normal oil and filter change, what do I need to have the dealer do?

I think it's due for a fuel filter change, which is the real reason for my post.

When I had my last oil change, the dealer told me I would need a fuel filter at the next service, and that that would cost about $400 to have done.

So, what is the best way to get that done for the most reasonable price - WITHOUT me doing it myself?

I'd rather pay a dealer and have a paper trail, for warranty purposes. So, I guess the REAL question is, is it feasible to order a fuel filter and provide it to the dealer to use, and how much will that really save me? If that is the way to go, where is the best place to get one?

Thanks!
If you download the My Mopar app and enter your information, it will show you the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Will also show maintenance history, and allow you to schedule service with local dealer

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you download the My Mopar app and enter your information, it will show you the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Will also show maintenance history, and allow you to schedule service with local dealer

I know. I have it. Thanks.

tom318

Reaction score
The fuel filter itself is about $50 online.

Im not sure the dealer will even use customer supplied parts but I’m sure any independent mechanic would. It’s a super simple job, takes me under 30min in my driveway even with setup/cleanup. An honest mechanic shouldn’t charge much I’d guess? If dealer is charging $400, I’d guess your easily saving yourself at least $200-250? Just my 2cents.

Also consider this approach on the cabin and engine air filters. Dealers love to over charge on that one. $20 parts, 5 minute jobs.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Im not sure the dealer will even use customer supplied parts but I’m sure any independent mechanic would. It’s a super simple job, takes me under 30min in my driveway even with setup/cleanup. An honest mechanic shouldn’t charge much I’d guess? If dealer is charging $400, I’d guess your easily saving yourself at least $200-250? Just my 2cents.

Also consider this approach on the cabin and engine air filters. Dealers love to over charge on that one. $20 parts, 5 minute jobs.

Thanks. But, that link says it's for a 2500 and up, Cummins.

I looked around that site and didn't see a fuel filter that said it's for a '21 EcoDiesel.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Thanks. But, that link says it's for a 2500 and up, Cummins.

I looked around that site and didn't see a fuel filter that said it's for a '21 EcoDiesel.
If you click the drop down arrow that says More Information you’ll see it is also for the Gen 3 Ecodiesel.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fuel filter change is about a 5 minute job. That includes putting the coffee cup down before heading outside.

n8zcc

Reaction score
The fuel filter change is about a 5 minute job. That includes putting the coffee cup down before heading outside.
Exactly. If you want to drop $350 or more for a paper trail I suggest you do what most of us do. Document the filter change, date, and mileage in your vehicle's folder, and include the receipt for the fuel filter. I also include the fuel filter box label. I might sound a bit anal but I've battled through warraty denials and have come out the winner because of my documentation.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So, a few things.

The URL above is to what is just listed as a fuel filter. When I looked up the same part # on mopar.com, it says it's a "Fuel/Water Separator Filter Kit", for $74.70.

Anybody know if the "kit" from Mopar has more stuff in it than just the fuel filter and O-ring that appears to come from DieselFiltersOnline.com?

I got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday and asked about the fuel filter change. They said they charge $180 for the parts and $100 for the labor to install it. $280 plus tax comes out to just barely under $300.

But, the good news is that the service writer was pretty sheepish about the cost of the parts. He said there was nothing he can do about that. The Parts department charges what they charge. He said that he would have no problem installing a filter supplied from me, as long as it was a Mopar part. So, I can at least save myself $100+.

I'm only left with the question of what is in the "kit" from Mopar besides just the fuel filter and O-ring.

tom318

Reaction score
So, a few things.

The URL above is to what is just listed as a fuel filter. When I looked up the same part # on mopar.com, it says it's a "Fuel/Water Separator Filter Kit", for $74.70.

Anybody know if the "kit" from Mopar has more stuff in it than just the fuel filter and O-ring that appears to come from DieselFiltersOnline.com?

I got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday and asked about the fuel filter change. They said they charge $180 for the parts and $100 for the labor to install it. $280 plus tax comes out to just barely under $300.

But, the good news is that the service writer was pretty sheepish about the cost of the parts. He said there was nothing he can do about that. The Parts department charges what they charge. He said that he would have no problem installing a filter supplied from me, as long as it was a Mopar part. So, I can at least save myself $100+.

I'm only left with the question of what is in the "kit" from Mopar besides just the fuel filter and O-ring.
The part numbers listed on both links are the same. I've done this fuel filter change 4 times now and there is nothing else there to change apart from filter and o-ring. Only other thing that could be changed is the fuel filter cap itself if you manage to break it.

The diagram depicts that item 2 (The "Kit") is only the filter and o-rings.

Users who are viewing this thread