5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell 5.7

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have GM 6.2L in my garago - 6th Gen Camaro. What I see on Camaro forums is that DOD is a big problem, plus dealing with direct injection issues long term is not fun. 6.2L is a great engine, but only without DOD and other fuel saving tricks (which is not available for Silverado - it is always there).
Disable AFM with a tune, and get a catch can to help greatly with GDI issues long-term (don't want to add it)
Did the same thing with my Silverado within the first 500 miles of buying it new (catch can wasn't on until 20k miles when I was getting check engine lights because of oil buildup in the intake).

If you want to delete the hardware too you can buy kits for them doesn't matter if it's 6.2 or 5.3. Just under $1000 depending on what part options you go with.

ameyer81

Reaction score
No truck is perfect, but the 5.7 was the worst MPG and performance I've experienced on a full sized 1500 truck, which was especially insulting with the e-torque mild hybrid features. YMMV of course.

Have owned four half ton trucks, including the 5.3 and 6.2 GM engines, and the 5.7 Mopar (mostly because I couldn't get a GM during covid, but the Ram was available). Disabling AFM is a popular topic, and makes sense to me, but I never did it. The ram also needed to go because of the dreaded and inevitable maniflold failure that all my friends with 5.7s have had, all so conveniently after the powertrain warranty ran out. Bust out another thousand...

So I figured if I'm going to get lousy fuel economy, I'll just get an HD which is better for a few things I do where I'm maxed on the half ton's GVWR. And no I'm not complianing about the fuel economy when pulling or heavily loaded. I'm talking about normal daily driving. On the 100mi highway drive back from the dealer in the 6.6 diesel, I got better fuel economy than the drive there in the 5.7. Go figure. Maybe I just got bad luck, but I always had a clean air filter, used decent fuel, etc. No thanks aero mode and mechanical front air dam.

If someone wants great efficiency and performance in a half ton, they should buy a Ford hybrid powerboost. I have friends with those getting mid 20s. Or roll the dice on the new turbo 6cyl from ram, but that won't be me. And for crying out loud Stellantis, put a proper 6.5 foot bed on your half tons on the next refresh!! I'd have gone to the ram 2500 but a 6'4" bed in any truck is just dumb. Sure, make the 5.5' beds for guys who only ever haul around golf clubs and groceries under their tunneau covers, but put at least a 6.5' bed on any real truck.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
I drive 82 miles round trip every day to and from work, and that's mostly highway at 60-65 MPH. If I'm just doing that all week, I will hit 17-20 MPG pretty easy. That does go down a little during the winter months. Any type of city driving, or around town, I drop down to 14. All of this is much better than my 2001 RAM with the 5.9 gasser. That thing got 8 MPG highway or around town. never moved. haha

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, make the 5.5' beds for guys who only ever haul around golf clubs and groceries under their tunneau covers,
That 5' 7" bed is perfect for a toolbox, cooler, beach cart, couple sand chairs and umbrellas when running down to Florida.
Leaves so much leg room in the back seat, love it.

If I need to haul something big, I hook up a trailer.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No truck is perfect, but the 5.7 was the worst MPG and performance I've experienced on a full sized 1500 truck, which was especially insulting with the e-torque mild hybrid features. YMMV of course.

Have owned four half ton trucks, including the 5.3 and 6.2 GM engines, and the 5.7 Mopar (mostly because I couldn't get a GM during covid, but the Ram was available). Disabling AFM is a popular topic, and makes sense to me, but I never did it. The ram also needed to go because of the dreaded and inevitable maniflold failure that all my friends with 5.7s have had, all so conveniently after the powertrain warranty ran out. Bust out another thousand...

So I figured if I'm going to get lousy fuel economy, I'll just get an HD which is better for a few things I do where I'm maxed on the half ton's GVWR. And no I'm not complianing about the fuel economy when pulling or heavily loaded. I'm talking about normal daily driving. On the 100mi highway drive back from the dealer in the 6.6 diesel, I got better fuel economy than the drive there in the 5.7. Go figure. Maybe I just got bad luck, but I always had a clean air filter, used decent fuel, etc. No thanks aero mode and mechanical front air dam.

If someone wants great efficiency and performance in a half ton, they should buy a Ford hybrid powerboost. I have friends with those getting mid 20s. Or roll the dice on the new turbo 6cyl from ram, but that won't be me. And for crying out loud Stellantis, put a proper 6.5 foot bed on your half tons on the next refresh!! I'd have gone to the ram 2500 but a 6'4" bed in any truck is just dumb. Sure, make the 5.5' beds for guys who only ever haul around golf clubs and groceries under their tunneau covers, but put at least a 6.5' bed on any real truck.

Your report is anecodtal. If you look on fuelly.com to compare actual averages between the GM v8's and the 5.7, you'll see that the 5.7 is perfectly competitive. Not bad for an engine that was designed 20 years ago eh?

Let me know when you beat 8.4 l/100 km (28 mpg) in any of the trucks you own(ed):

8.4 l100 _ 28 mpg.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your report is anecodtal. If you look on fuelly.com to compare actual averages between the GM v8's and the 5.7, you'll see that the 5.7 is perfectly competitive. Not bad for an engine that was designed 20 years ago eh?

Let me know when you beat 8.4 l/100 km (28 mpg) in any of the trucks you own(ed):

View attachment 181527
There is a 0% chance you got 28mpg legit in a Ram unless it's an ED. You obviously were going downhill a mountain or something of the sort for all of those miles and you ain't fooling anyone.

silver billet

Reaction score
There is a 0% chance you got 28mpg legit in a Ram unless it's an ED. You obviously were going downhill a mountain or something of the sort for all of those miles and you ain't fooling anyone.

Why do you make every conversation with you feel like a root canal? Everyone on here is just out to get you? Do we all stink?

That was at the end of a 3 hour road trip. Fill up with fuel beside the freeway, hit reset, drive 3 hours home. Yes that's called highway MPG, otherwise if you include stop and go or city driving then you're into "combined". Also note the meter showing the remaining "range", if you do a quick reset and snap a pic then the range would still show much less mileage left if I was actually getting like 15 mpg or whatever you happen to think it should be.

It was ideal conditions, no wind, clear sky, early summer temps. I haven't hit that again, but I regularly do the exact same trip many times each summer and can hit 9.4 to 10 without issues. You can see two more images below.

20190628_091556_HDR.jpg

9.4 l_100 km.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why do you make every conversation with you feel like a root canal? Everyone on here is just out to get you? Do we all stink?

That was at the end of a 3 hour road trip. Fill up with fuel beside the freeway, hit reset, drive 3 hours home. Yes that's called highway MPG, otherwise if you include stop and go or city driving then you're into "combined".

It was ideal conditions, no wind, clear sky, early summer temps. I haven't hit that again, but I regularly do the exact same trip many times each summer and can hit 9.4 to 10 without issues. You can see two more images below.

View attachment 181533

View attachment 181530
28 mpg is not possible with a Hemi in a Ram, not legit anyways. Anyone can post pictures of going down a mountain, I think i saw 34 mpg a few months ago by someone else here (the knew it was not legit and joked about it). Going downhill highway or not is not legit mpg and is pointless to post except to try and troll.

silver billet

Reaction score
28 mpg is not possible with a Hemi in a Ram, not legit anyways. Anyone can post pictures of going down a mountain, I think i saw 34 mpg a few months ago by someone else here (the knew it was not legit and joked about it). Going downhill highway or not is not legit mpg and is pointless to post except to try and troll.

I told you already how it was achieved but apparently you can't read. 3 hour freeway trip in ideal weather/traffic conditions.

Edit: I get it now, you have a 3.92. You should have said that right from the start, no wonder your poor noggin is levitating.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I told you already how it was achieved but apparently you can't read. 3 hour freeway trip downhill then took a picture knowing I could share fake information online.
Fixed it for you.
Gearing has northing to do with getting 28 mpg with a 5.7, it's not possible At any speed on unbiases flat ground.

silver billet

Reaction score
Fixed it for you.
Gearing has northing to do with getting 28 mpg with a 5.7, it's not possible At any speed on unbiases flat ground.

You go right ahead and continue arguing with facts my friend, makes no difference to me. Cheers.

ameyer81

Reaction score
Also as a data point I had 3.21 gears on my truck... could get it to read low 20s in a situation like @silver billet describes, but that was downhill with a tail wind type stuff.

silver billet

Reaction score
Also as a data point I had 3.21 gears on my truck... could get it to read low 20s in a situation like @silver billet describes, but that was downhill with a tail wind type stuff.

It's really not that hard to break into 20 mpg with all highway. I'm sitting at 17 to 18 for the entire winter, this is mixed driving and winter gas and lots of windy days and remote starts.

My point in this wasn't to prove that the hemi is some fuel efficient sipper, just that your claim/usage is anecdotal and so is mine, and it really depends on how the truck is driven.

However, I also said in my first post, if you check out fuelly.com and look at the averages, you'll find the 5.7 does just as good as the 5.3 and 6.2 from GM. Actually the 6.2 does about 1mpg better than the 5.3 which is interesting, but there are not as much data points either.

In any case, they're all competitive; v8's use fuel, that's the long and short of it and the hemi isn't any worse than any other v8.

This one gets the worst:

ameyer81

Reaction score
V8 half tons will soon be a thing of bygone years. OEMs are all going to V6 turbo engines, and for a reason.

All I can compare is my daily driving life experience with these engines in similar conditions, distances, etc. and the 5.7 was worst of all.

23RAM

Reaction score
You go right ahead and continue arguing with facts my friend, makes no difference to me. Cheers.
Don't waste your time arguing with this troll - he has an agenda and doesn't care for facts of any kind.
My RAM has a 3.92 diff and I regularly get 20-23 on the highway without a load or trailer, contrary to what the troll says.

23RAM

Reaction score
V8 half tons will soon be a thing of bygone years. OEMs are all going to V6 turbo engines, and for a reason.
Yes, so the oil companies can make more money.

V6 turbos suck fuel like a college student at an open bar during frosh week when towing, and towing or hauling is what trucks are made to do. Those who have tried turbos for tow/haul know the facts and they'll never buy one again. If all you do is drive to work and pick up groceries, a turbo is good on gas. But then why buy a truck when a smaller car does the same tasks. However, when you use the truck for its intended purpose, open your wallet as the turbo will Hoover your money.

6of36

Reaction score
I skipped over everything, after it turned into a mileage post. I will get arount to posting in the mileage section, but I'm here now. Mileage varies by location. I don't know if it's fuel blend, or air density. I live in Michigan. I picked up my truck in Louisiana. First tank 22 mpg. It went down slightly as I drove north. I have a second home 200 miles north, so I drive highway a lot. Average trip north, I get 16. Average trip south, I get 17. Took vacation to Georgia, and Carolinas, over 20 every tank. I was getting 17 in city down there, but get 14 in Mi.

Users who are viewing this thread