5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell 5.7

ameyer81

Reaction score
After 2.5 years, I've gone back to GM.

The 5.7 e torque had the worst MPGs I've seen from a modern V8 truck, and far less power and fuel economy than the 6.2 GM motor.

While I'll miss the sweet interior and other features of the limited, everything under the hood is forgettable.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I 100% agree with the mpg statement, the Hemi does have much better low end Trq than the 5.0L & 5.4L Fords I owed. The 3.5L EB & 6.2L Fords I had were better all around.. but one was a lemon and I regret selling the other.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a thread online about a new GM 5.3 or 6.2 engine losing the valvetrain and/or spinning bearings while still in bumper to bumper warranty, necessitating a new engine. The OP thinks he's doing himself a favor by going to GM?? That's laughable. They've built the worst junk on American roads since the 1988 debut of the GMT400 platform. A GM truck is an exercise in how NOT to design and engineer vehicles.

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
Just how bad is your mileage? This is my first "real" truck and if drive normally, I get between 18-21 depending on traffic. I do use 91 Ethanol-Free gas however, I'm sure that has something to do with that.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I owned a lot of new Silverado's over the years before my Ram's and they all got virtually the same exact gas mileage as the Hemi. 14-17 mpg for my driving style seems to be the sweet spot no matter what type of "fuel saver" technology they throw at them. The mpg ratings they always put out there to compete against each other is basically bogus. I've never come close to averaging what any new truck is advertised for. Can't speak to the Chevy 6.2 but HIGHLY doubt it gets better gas mileage than a 5.7 Hemi especially in a 2500.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just how bad is your mileage? This is my first "real" truck and if drive normally, I get between 18-21 depending on traffic. I do use 91 Ethanol-Free gas however, I'm sure that has something to do with that.
I would kill for 18-21 mpg.
I have been getting around 14-15mpg the last 2 fill ups (33 gallon tank)

Sometimes I am hitting close to 16 if I can stay on the highway for the entire tank (highway = 65-70mph)

I owned a lot of new Silverado's over the years before my Ram's and they all got virtually the same exact gas mileage as the Hemi. 14-17 mpg for my driving style seems to be the sweet spot no matter what type of "fuel saver" technology they throw at them. The mpg ratings they always put out there to compete against each other is basically bogus. I've never come close to averaging what any new truck is advertised for. Can't speak to the Chevy 6.2 but HIGHLY doubt it gets better gas mileage than a 5.7 Hemi especially in a 2500.
I can't comment on the 6.2 but on my 5.3 Silverado I don't think I ever got bellow 16, and on highways I would get around 22-24 on average and would result in 17-24mpg for an entire tank.
Completely differnet trucks with differnet kinds of engines so can't really compare, except for the difference existing imo.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Sometimes I am hitting close to 16 if I can stay on the highway for the entire tank (highway = 65-70mph)

I can't comment on the 6.2 but on my 5.3 Silverado I don't think I ever got bellow 16, and on highways I would get around 22-24 on average and would result in 17-24mpg for an entire tank.
Completely differnet trucks with differnet kinds of engines so can't really compare, except for the difference existing imo.
My last Silverado was a 2008 so I have no personal experience with the later 5.3's. Only going off what I'm being told by friends who have them currently. I find it funny after all this added technology I got better gas mileage in the early 90's with the old Chevy 350 before the 5.3 was designed. After adding all that technology they just made the motors less reliable.

Oldphart

Reaction score

Let's just say that I don't drive like I did back in the "Good Old Days". My 69 Z28 would average about 8-9 and 67 Hemi GTX automatic much less than that; you were filling up around the 100 mile mark....wish I still had both of those though.

Kowalski

Reaction score
After 2.5 years, I've gone back to GM.

The 5.7 e torque had the worst MPGs I've seen from a modern V8 truck, and far less power and fuel economy than the 6.2 GM motor.

While I'll miss the sweet interior and other features of the limited, everything under the hood is forgettable.
Of my last six pick up trucks my 5.7 "non" e torque is the most powerful and the gas mileage is a little better. I do very little towing and I average 15 mpg and have 375 horse power. The ford 5.0 coyote is a better engine in a car but in a pickup 5.7 hemi is better for the type of driving I do.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My last Silverado was a 2008 so I have no personal experience with the later 5.3's. Only going off what I'm being told by friends who have them currently. I find it funny after all this added technology I got better gas mileage in the early 90's with the old Chevy 350 before the 5.3 was designed. After adding all that technology they just made the motors less reliable.
Looks like the engine I had started in 2014 (I had a 2018). was an Ecotec3 v8.

These are some older pictures.

The "last x miles" is done automatically and can't be cheated by just resetting your trip history or whatever, this is one I have of a while ago at 20 mpg over 400 miles of mixed driving.
I know I have other pictures showing even better numbers but I kind of just save everything in 1 big folder.
If I let my trip meter go for 400 miles in my Ram i'm going to be looking at like 15 mpg...
1713470657066.png

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.3 is certainly the thriftiest gas truck option out there, with better results than the turbo 4's and 6's, and at least on par with the NA V6's.
I think that's why they keep it around... cuz there isn't much else good to say about it.

Bigzway

Reaction score
Talk BS about the HEMI to convince himself or wife that the chevy 2500 zr2 with a diesel or 6.6 gas engine is better. Why do these guys talk $hit about there truck and announce they are getting something else better, bye

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He didn't say if he's going gas or diesel. But it looks like he's gone already, so we'll never know.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I have GM 6.2L in my garago - 6th Gen Camaro. What I see on Camaro forums is that DOD is a big problem, plus dealing with direct injection issues long term is not fun. 6.2L is a great engine, but only without DOD and other fuel saving tricks (which is not available for Silverado - it is always there).

Users who are viewing this thread