5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken Wildpeak AT3 vs Continental TerrainContact AT

gpbst3

Reaction score
Im shopping for my next set of tires. I had the Falkens on my last truck and only had about 8k miles on them before trading the truck in so I never got to fully evaluate them.

My truck is street use only, very little highway. However I want a set of tires that will go in the snow. The Falkens are snow rated but are a little over kill for daily street driving. The TerrainContacts are less aggressive but Im concerned about the snow performance. I know anything will be better than the factory tires.

Are there any other options for best snow/road performance.

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Im shopping for my next set of tires. I had the Falkens on my last truck and only had about 8k miles on them before trading the truck in so I never got to fully evaluate them.

My truck is street use only, very little highway. However I want a set of tires that will go in the snow. The Falkens are snow rated but are a little over kill for daily street driving. The TerrainContacts are less aggressive but Im concerned about the snow performance. I know anything will be better than the factory tires.

Don't have any experience with the Falkens, but if you live somewhere with a lot of snow it's definitely worth looking into real winter/snow tires. They truly are a step above any all-terrain. However, the retail Wildpeak A/T3W have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol and have decent sized voids between tread blocks so they should be be very good.

popcenator

Reaction score
I had the Falkens on my 2012 and they were great. Every bit as good as my BFG ATs and my Duratracs I have now. They're relatively cheap, last a long time, and are extreme winter rated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Falken's are great, my dad has a set on his Rebel. Aside from being heavy they are fantastic. I am drawn to the Continental Terrain Contact A/T's however. Real soon I plan to purchase a set of LT285/60/r20's. Basically 33.5x11 with 16/32 tread depth. I hunt the National Forest in Louisiana which is mostly gravel roads and sandy trails. Other than that it is on the highway 95% of the time. The highway wet traction is what I'm drawn to with this tire. And it is a little more sophisticated looking but with a nice sidewall.

TimW451

Reaction score
I think you have it down to the two best choices for you. Anything else is going to get more aggressive or have less snow performance than these two tires. I have the Wikdpeaks in LT275/65-18 and am very happy with them, but haven’t had a chance to use them in the snow yet.

CMENT

Reaction score
Why not Michelin LTX’s? Great on the road and supposedly really good on ice and snow. That’s what we am about to put on the wife’s land cruiser. I have coopers myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike1953

Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the Falkens, but if you live somewhere with a lot of snow it's definitely worth looking into real winter/snow tires. They truly are a step above any all-terrain. However, the retail Wildpeak A/T3W have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol and have decent sized voids between tread blocks so they should be be very good.
I live in Ottawa Canada. Lots of snow and ice. Just bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 in October. I took a look at what the city police use for tires. Michelin X-Ice Xi3. https://www.michelin.ca/en/x-ice-xi...3QD0q0Fpys2tZUCPynMaAma2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I will be up-sizing to LT285/60R20 soon and originally narrowed down my choices to Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, and Continental TerrainnContact AT. I had the Wildpeaks on an older RAM and loved them; so I know they both perform and look good. I have no experience with the Cooper's but they have good reviews and look good. However, I think I have decided on the TerrainContact AT. I have decided to go with the Continentals for three reasons: 1. Great reviews everywhere; 2. To maintain a quiet and smooth ride (for an AT); 3. Because they only weight 56.9 pounds (Falkens are 65.5, Coopers are 61). I think that the Continentals will have the least impact on ride quality and MPG....we'll see.

Bionicbo

Reaction score

I was in the same situation, I wanted an aggressive all terrian street tire and went with a 305/50 20 Cooper Zeon Ltz it also has a low roll resistance, they look amazing on truck and I get alot of compliments. 20190812_154818.jpg 20190812_110533.jpg 8 cooper-zeonLTZ_lg_super.jpg

kkunicky

Reaction score
Wow love that look! They look like Fuel Vapor's? What width and offset?

Bionicbo

Reaction score
what was the hit to mileage And what did you have on there before? Thanks.

The originals were the 275/ 55 falken Wildpeak, but I never drove with them, the dealer installed my new tire wheels before delivery and did the buy back on the OEM ones, but my average is 19 mpg

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I have the factory falkens and am very impressed with them in snow and for daily driving. Very quiet for an AT. I love Michelins on my cars and wife’s jeep. I’ve had Nitto terra grapplers, and Cooper ATP’s on my last truck and was happy with those but these Falken’s just perform great at every level. Ive been tempted to upsize for looks but i can’t convince myself to shed these tires just to gain some more sidewall. I’ll happily wear them out before I consider a change.

cbadge

Reaction score
Falken Wildpeak AT3W are great in the snow. I run them year round. Priced well a couple of my buddies got them on their trucks too.

CMENT

Reaction score
I was in the same situation, I wanted an aggressive all terrian street tire and went with a 305/50 20 Cooper Zeon Ltz it also has a low roll resistance, they look amazing on truck and I get alot of compliments. View attachment 45888 View attachment 45889 8 View attachment 45893

I am a huge cooper fan. I put a set of Zeon LtZ on our Land Cruiser and I am disappointed when compared to the Cooper AT3. They look awesome, but after 39k miles I am disappointed. They wear horrible, stink in snow/ice, not great in rain, and noisy above expectations. Got them instead of the AT3 because I thought they would ride a little better. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Dont over think it. Looks lilke you have 2 great choices. I've had the Continentals on my 4th gen. Excellent tires, quiet, excellent in rain- i only drove in snow once - no problems. You can easily find full reviews online and at www.tirerack.com. I also like the mildly aggressive side wall. Looks nice with the "Luxury" OEM wheels without going overboard. ram 11 rear tire.jpg

Ram 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread