5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken AT3Ws in snow...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Family commitments have me driving into Providence, R.I. today, and staying until Sunday in a hotel.

Why does this matter? Well, my new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are going to get tested in the "epic", "record-breaking", "triple blizzard" being forecast. They're saying 2 feet of snow. (<- Cue the sound of laughing Canadians.)

No, there's no chance of cancelling the trip. Sigh.

I guess I'll find out how good (or bad) they are.

If I don't report back on Monday, that'll be an answer. :)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, despite Jim Cantori's on-screen contortions, the 2-3 feet forecast was 21.3 inches. Amazingly, the folks in Providence seemed to be pretty practiced at the whole "snow removal" thing. I was a bit disappointed that the roads were as cleared as they were.

The Wildpeak AT3Ws did not disappoint. Some 3-10 inches of snow, some 2-3 inches of slush, and then just wet: all very good.

2jzDave

Reaction score
Just ordered a set for my truck in 275/60r20 in the SL version. Can't wait to get them. I ran them on my last truck and loved them.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should do fine. About 2-3 years ago I was working around this time. Had my 4th Gen Ram with Falken AT3w not the factory variation but truck did great in the snow that we got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: c3k

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Where I am at we average about 100" a year and so far they have worked really well. I usually put 4 snows on my cars but I will not be changing these out (at least while they're new).

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm loving them. I've only done light off-road trails, dry, so no test of them in that at all.

The snow yesterday and today, they were great. I was TRYING to get slippage and, between the truck's auto 4wd and the falkens, I could not. Color me impressed. ;) Total confidence inspiring tires.

Also, on a 10 1/2 drive (680 miles) from New England (I-95) down to North Carolina going through the Shenandoah (I-81) then up and over Fancy Gap (I-77) with the cruise control set at 75mph, they were amazingly quiet AND gave me 26.2 mpg (on the gauge, so that's just the last 500 miles).

Amazing traction on varied surfaces, quiet, and very efficient. Done.

(In exchange for a voucher for another set (when I need them), I'll let a Falken rep copy the above post. ;) )

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live about halfway between Boston and Providence, and I just put AT3W's on my truck a week ago. Got about 25ish inches here. The Wildpeaks were fantastic in the snow, slush an ice when I snuck out for a quick spin on Saturday night. Very impressed with them so far in every respect.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Okay, despite Jim Cantori's on-screen contortions, the 2-3 feet forecast was 21.3 inches. Amazingly, the folks in Providence seemed to be pretty practiced at the whole "snow removal" thing. I was a bit disappointed that the roads were as cleared as they were.

The Wildpeak AT3Ws did not disappoint. Some 3-10 inches of snow, some 2-3 inches of slush, and then just wet: all very good.
I always laugh at these weather experts who put themselves in the thick of the storm only to be embarrassed. IMHO, I’ve seen the weather patterns change so sharply around here that a difference of several miles is the difference between blue skies and a monsoon. Ask me how I know. Weather changes so quickly.

Jealous of the Falkens, those were my first choice for tire but couldn’t find them anywhere. Hope they serve you well!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live about halfway between Boston and Providence, and I just put AT3W's on my truck a week ago. Got about 25ish inches here. The Wildpeaks were fantastic in the snow, slush an ice when I snuck out for a quick spin on Saturday night. Very impressed with them so far in every respect.
My sister is in North Attleborough...and we met her in Providence.

Great snow storm: better tires. ;)

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm loving them. I've only done light off-road trails, dry, so no test of them in that at all.

The snow yesterday and today, they were great. I was TRYING to get slippage and, between the truck's auto 4wd and the falkens, I could not. Color me impressed. ;) Total confidence inspiring tires.

Also, on a 10 1/2 drive (680 miles) from New England (I-95) down to North Carolina going through the Shenandoah (I-81) then up and over Fancy Gap (I-77) with the cruise control set at 75mph, they were amazingly quiet AND gave me 26.2 mpg (on the gauge, so that's just the last 500 miles).

Amazing traction on varied surfaces, quiet, and very efficient. Done.

(In exchange for a voucher for another set (when I need them), I'll let a Falken rep copy the above post. ;) )
Do you have the D rated or SL version? currently run 275/55 20 the XL version but leaning towards going up to the 275/60 20 D rated for the additi tread depth and side wall thickness for towing.

2jzDave

Reaction score
Do you have the D rated or SL version? currently run 275/55 20 the XL version but leaning towards going up to the 275/60 20 D rated for the additi tread depth and side wall thickness for towing.

Just an fyi, the SL version has 20% more silica in the compound, while both SL and LT have silica in them. I went with the SL version, but I don't tow. It depends how much you will be towing, another user said he tows his 3k lbs boat with no issues on the SL. The SL has a higher load rating than the OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3W-A that came on my truck.

Since I don't tow, I couldn't justify the 11lb heavier tire for additional tread depth. I've had these tires on another truck, they wear like iron.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an fyi, the SL version has 20% more silica in the compound, while both SL and LT have silica in them. I went with the SL version, but I don't tow. It depends how much you will be towing, another user said he tows his 3k lbs boat with no issues on the SL. The SL has a higher load rating than the OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3W-A that came on my truck.

Since I don't tow, I couldn't justify the 11lb heavier tire for additional tread depth. I've had these tires on another truck, they wear like iron.

Exactly the way I decided on my SL purchase, too. My towing is generally just a utility trailer, max of ~5,000 lbs.

2jzDave

Reaction score
Exactly the way I decided on my SL purchase, too. My towing is generally just a utility trailer, max of ~5,000 lbs.
I was a little torn at first mainly because I thought the deeper tread of the LT tire would look a little beefier. Weighing the pros and cons SL all the way for me, I've seen pictures of them on Rams (I had the LT tire on my 2011 Sierra 1500, but that was C range so it wasn't as bad) and they still look plenty aggressive to me.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine currently are C range (XL) but was really looking for more tread depth. Just not sure how much different C rated is from D rated

Clv22p

Reaction score
I had some on my Gladiator and they were phenomenal. I was in 15-18 inches of snow in the mountains and had no issues.

2jzDave

Reaction score
Mine currently are C range (XL) but was really looking for more tread depth. Just not sure how much different C rated is from D rated
How much different as in what?
For 275/55/r20
XL is 6 ply, 13/32" tread, 48.1lbs per tire
D is 8 ply, 18/32" tread, 56.4lbs per tire

If you move up to the 275/60r20 D range it's 8ply, 18/32" tread and 58.2lbs per tire.

In my experience these tires wear like iron and last a long time, so I don't mind the 13/32" tread depth. My truck has the AT3W-A OEM tire and at 47k miles they still have so much life left in them it's surprising. Mine have a 500 tread wear rating and the "normal" AT3W tread wear rating is 660.

Last edited:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much different as in what?
For 275/55/r20
XL is 6 ply, 13/32" tread, 48.1lbs per tire
D is 8 ply, 18/32" tread, 56.4lbs per tire

If you move up to the 275/60r20 D range it's 8ply, 18/32" tread and 58.2lbs per tire.

In my experience these tires wear like iron and last a long time, so I don't mind the 13/32" tread depth. My truck has the AT3W-A OEM tire and at 47k miles they still have so much life left in them it's surprising. Mine have a 500 tread wear rating and the "normal" AT3W tread wear rating is 660.
I was referring to the difference in ride quality

GoTide

Reaction score
Speaking of ride quality, what is your experience with the XL? I'm looking into them as well for my 2022 Limited (e-Torque w/22" wheels 3.92 gear). I've been searching for the best all-around tire for the AT category without sacrificing too much in the way of fuel mileage. So far they look pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread