5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faint, Low Rumbling Sound When Applying the Brakes?

ExFordGuy

Reaction score
I recently bought a new Laramie (See signature). It has approximately 500 miles on it. Whenever I apply the brakes I hear a very faint, low rumbling sound. I don't feel anything in the brake pedal, it's not a grinding sound or anything like that, I just hear a faint, low rumbling sound. Barely audible. Performance is not affected and the truck stops just fine. It has done this since I got the truck. I've never owned a Ram before. Is this normal? Just part of the break-in period until parts get situated? Or is this something I should be concerned about?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No idea what you are talking about.
If it's that quiet I wouldn't worry about it and you have only had the truck since 7/15 and everything in it is new and needs time to really break in

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I recently bought a new Laramie (See signature). It has approximately 500 miles on it. Whenever I apply the brakes I hear a very faint, low rumbling sound. I don't feel anything in the brake pedal, it's not a grinding sound or anything like that, I just hear a faint, low rumbling sound. Barely audible. Performance is not affected and the truck stops just fine. It has done this since I got the truck. I've never owned a Ram before. Is this normal? Just part of the break-in period until parts get situated? Or is this something I should be concerned about?

If it only happens when you apply the brakes, I believe it is a brake issue, you said the vehicle had 500 miles; makes me think its been sitting in a lot for a while, with some vehicles sitting, rotors rust or create a small rust ridge due to the rain and morning dew, maybe the pads are riding on a small surface of rust, I would go to a warehouse and ride up against a building to narrow down the noise... When I worked in auto back in the day I would put the car/ truck on the rack jacking it up under the axles allowing the wheels to free spin isolating the noise especially with wheel bearings. Try some heavy breaking in fwd and reverse in an open lot and see if it goes away. And lastly, some tires make road noise the rumbling sound especially all terrain tires and may be more noticeable when coming to a stop. In my situation this is what I encountered on my new truck in the link below...... Ride up against a building at a warehouse and you will identify the noise, hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-01 4.59.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 4.59.08 PM.png
    516.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-08-01 5.02.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 5.02.18 PM.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-08-01 4.59.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 4.59.23 PM.png
    446.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it only happens when you apply the brakes, I believe it is a brake issue, you said the vehicle had 500 miles; makes me think its been sitting in a lot for a while, with some vehicles sitting, rotors rust or create a small rust ridge due to the rain and morning dew, maybe the pads are riding on a small surface of rust, I would go to a warehouse and ride up against a building to narrow down the noise... When I worked in auto back in the day I would put the car/ truck on the rack jacking it up under the axles allowing the wheels to free spin isolating the noise especially with wheel bearings. Try some heavy breaking in fwd and reverse in an open lot and see if it goes away. And lastly, some tires make road noise the rumbling sound especially all terrain tires and may be more noticeable when coming to a stop. In my situation this is what I encountered on my new truck in the link below...... Ride up against a building at a warehouse and you will identify the noise, hope this helps.

I looked at his signature, it was a custom build, be grabbed it right from the lot 4 days after it arrived it looks.
I think he put 500 miles on since he got it.

Hard braking is good to get it all worn in, maybe there is some crud on his rotors like tar or fallout from the train ride to his dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread