5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failures…Excessive or Normal?

Lrpilot

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Longhorn purchased in January 2021 so two and a half years old. In the last six months the radiator and the belt idler pulley have failed and had to be replaced under warranty. Today, the battery failed and had to be replaced under warranty.

Does this seem excessive to anyone for a fairly new truck? I wonder if I’m in for a lifetime of repairs or is it just a streak of bad luck?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Longhorn purchased in January 2021 so two and a half years old. In the last six months the radiator and the belt idler pulley have failed and had to be replaced under warranty. Today, the battery failed and had to be replaced under warranty.

Does this seem excessive to anyone for a fairly new truck? I wonder if I’m in for a lifetime of repairs or is it just a streak of bad luck?
Mileage?

GMetal

Reaction score
Pandemic era parts maybe prone to failure with the chaos?

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Pandemic era parts maybe prone to failure with the chaos?
That’s my fear. Hope this trend is not going to continue. It was problem free for 2 years and now I’ve had three issues in the last six months.

Av1

Reaction score

I wouldn't be happy either, but these things happen even with newish vehicles.

Hopefully it will be good for you now.

RC Turner

Reaction score
I had a 92 Chevy pickup that I really liked. However, it had endless issues to the point that at 35000 + miles I was told by my dealer to contact Chevrolet direct and ask for suggestions as to what could be done to try and insure trouble free service in the future. They felt that the dealer had done everything they could to insure trouble free performance in the future but just to make sure the gave me a bumper-to-bumper warranty for as long as I owned the truck. It worked out fine for me and they even extended it to the next owner.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Honestly, that's not a lot of issues, and I wouldn't stress about it at all.

The battery is just ****ty batteries that are hit or miss. the average life of any battery, factory or aftermarket is only 3 years. So at 2.5 years you are about average. idler pulley isn't a huge thing either, but probably shouldnt have failed that early. could ave been something as simple as not being torqued properly when installed. Id be interested to know what was wrong with radiator. as long as you keep your coolant in good condition, theoretically, a radiator should never fail.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Honestly, that's not a lot of issues, and I wouldn't stress about it at all.

The battery is just ****ty batteries that are hit or miss. the average life of any battery, factory or aftermarket is only 3 years. So at 2.5 years you are about average. idler pulley isn't a huge thing either, but probably shouldnt have failed that early. could ave been something as simple as not being torqued properly when installed. Id be interested to know what was wrong with radiator. as long as you keep your coolant in good condition, theoretically, a radiator should never fail.
The radiator cracked along the seam at the bottom from what the mechanic at the dealership told me. He said he sees that all the time at 100,000 miles but never at 25,000 when it happened. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread