5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory wax? Care.

kymts

Reaction score
Do our new Rams come with factory applied wax? I am sure the dealer did not wax my new truck. Is the paint waxed at the factory? What are my options for protecting the new finish?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No. And a ceramic coat for best protection. Or any self applied wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Superfine clay bar, polish, then wax or ceramic … For the price, I can’t say enough good things about the stuff below …. Check out the Youtube testing and reviews
e4b8f050fbe46a2cc20bf517a6ec50ef.jpg

kymts

Reaction score
Superfine clay bar, polish, then wax or ceramic … For the price, I can’t say enough good things about the stuff below …. Check out the Youtube testing and reviews

Thanks. This is available locally. Is it necessary to clay bar first? If so how long of a process is it to clay a Ram?

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score

Agreed! When I bought my new Ram a few weeks ago, my first order of business was glaze, wax, ten topped with a layer of this stuff. I'm not a believer in the expensive ceramics as none of them are going to protect as long as they claim. Spray ceramics provide a lot of shine and protection for a small fraction of the price. And the Turtle Wax spray is better than most.

Thanks. This is available locally. Is it necessary to clay bar first? If so how long of a process is it to clay a Ram?
It isn't typically necessary to clay a new vehicle depending on how far you've driven it. Clay gets rid of road and weather contaminants you can feel, but can't see. A great way to tell for sure is the plastic baggie test. Put your hand in a plastic baggie and feel various areas of the paint after a fresh wash. If you feel anything not smooth - it's time to clay.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not really needed, but there’s even imperfections in the paint from the factory …. I like to start fresh, and clay doesn’t take long at all

Cajun_

Reaction score
Do your research on ceramic coating before you go out and just apply one.
There are different types for different expectations from each product. That turtle wax one is basically just something that will make the truck hydrophobic and protect against uv. A better coating will help with microscratches and swirling.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yes you will want to do a quick clay bar before applying any product.

I personally like the avalon king products. And then just use a ceramic spray as a quick detailer, since thats primarily what it is.

Or contact your local detailing shop, a lot of them apply the products now, thats usually the best bet, since the truck needs to stay indoors for a few days while it cures.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I personally like the avalon king products. And then just use a ceramic spray as a quick detailer, since thats primarily what it is.

Or contact your local detailing shop, a lot of them apply the products now, thats usually the best bet, since the truck needs to stay indoors for a few days while it cures.
I agree with this. You will want to clay, regardless of what others say. After the vehicle is manufactured, it will sit outside a factory getting chemical fallout on the surface. It then gets shipped to a rail yard in prep of rail shipping. There are small metal particulates in the air near rail yards. Then the vehicle gets transported on the rails to the next shipping yard, where more fallout lands on the paint. Once at the dealer, they use cheap lot washers to keep cars "clean". The water is usually tap water and has many minerals in it that will dry itself to the paint.

If you put your hand inside a plastic bag and slide it over your paint, you will feel the crap that has adhered to it. The clay bar removes all of that. Be sure to get a mild clay, as the more coarse clay will require a compound/polish after use. I know this because I just did it last week and the clay left rub marks in the clear. I compounded my entire truck, then polished, then applied the ceramic coating. Always clay before treating the paint, unless you're only waxing. Ceramic coating, compounding and polishing will all benefit from a clay treatment first.

kymts

Reaction score

Thanks, but my truck is staying nowhere other than my garage overnight let alone a few days. At least if I can help it. I will have to do the detailing myself or get a friend to help as I have bad shoulders. That is the reason I asked how difficult to clay a Ram. It may have some contaminates in the paint but it was only nine or ten days from window sticker to my home! I drove it 80 miles on country roads for break in. Been in my garage since then. Maybe wash it, air dry and put it back up until a friend can come over to help.🇺🇸

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Clay baring it only takes about an hour.

I did mine with 20 miles on it, and removed a ton of build up from its transport from the factory.

Mothers makes a kit.

This is my stuff after Avalon king ceramic coat

There are better/more expensive options. But the quality to cost to ease of application ratio works for me.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
No paint correction on my ram, straight from the dealer, to clay bar, coating.

I’ll take a pic of it later today. I just washed it after a big snow storm and still looks like that vid.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
You have encouraged me to try the clay kit. Not a big deal if I have to break it up into sessions. Your truck and Indian look great. Thanks.
Great idea! Just be careful about driving it after claying if you don't have time to put anything on afterwards. At that point, your paint is as bare as it gets so any time you drive it you're just throwing more stuff back on it. Claying only takes about an hour even for a big truck like ours. It's a pretty fast process and very effective.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
8995977804542e78329f843ab442d3cf.jpg

077351597a5e7032eb997d219f7e5727.jpg

Before and after the weekend. Just ran it though a touch less car wash then wiped it down with some quick detailer. Not much sticks to it

kymts

Reaction score
How do I find a very mild clay bar? I'm guessing the spray keeps the clay from grabbing the paint?

Are there grades of clay? I certainly don't want to scratch the clear-coat.​

Going to get the clay supplies tomorrow. Is there another spray on detailer that I can use after the claying other than a ceramic? Not sure if I'm ready to take that step yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread